A Binaural Record Demonstration (Emory Cook system)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Jan 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

3. alfeizar

alfeizar Active Member

Nice video!

4. Axis_67

Axis_67 Senior Member

That is pretty cool.

Thanks for sharing.

5. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Very cool, but what a way to do it. Thank goodness that RCA Victor invented the stereo cutting lathes and discs as we know them back in 1957.

6. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

That was very interesting. I wonder how many were produced? I also wonder was titles were released in the format?

Thanks for the link.

7. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I've got a few of these Cook Records titles. Too bad the dang Youtue guy isn't feeding straight from the two-headed monster to derive audio for the video. All we're hearing is a stereo mic picking up the stereo speakers within his listening room. Impossible to judge anything!

More to follow in a minute...

8. MLutthans

The most notorious Cook binaural title was not released by Cook Records, but rather: He convinced mighty Atlantic Records to release one of his binaural recordings in that format ON ATLANTIC! Atlantic 1208. There were two front cover variations; both are shown below, and I'm not sure which came first.

It's available (in kind-of stereo) on CD from Collector's Choice, but sounds pretty poor.
    Screen shot 2012-01-22 at 8.00.09 PM.jpg Screen shot 2012-01-22 at 7.59.54 PM.jpg Screen shot 2012-01-22 at 7.59.17 PM.jpg Screen shot 2012-01-22 at 8.13.30 PM.jpg

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
    MrRom92 and McLover like this.
  9. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

id be frightened to put my records on that thing

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Uh, what?

showtaper likes this.
  11. MLutthans

A bunch of these titles are available for download from the Smithonian. (Look for the Emory Cook collection link at their site.) Some are made from the actual, original tapes; some are needledrops.

Also, there is this AWESOME SOUNDING CD: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=197012

12. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

The single groove stereo on disc system was first conceived by Alan Blumlein in England and then perfected by Westrex who called it the Westrex 45/45. Each channel's information is recorded on 45 degree angles of a V shaped groove.

13. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

Thanks for the extra info MLutthans. :righton:

14. MLutthans

You're welcome, LeeS!

There's a famous "binaural" "ambient sound" album called "Voice of the Sea" that really got Emory Cook on the map amongst the hi-fi geeks of the early '50s. My copy is on black vinyl, but my dad's copy? Cool GREEN translucent vinyl from circa 1952, I think. (He bought his when it first came out. I'm guessing mine, from Ebay, is a later pressing.)

Cook also used a special pressing process, called "Microfusion." Rather than taking a "clump of dough" and smashing it in the press, he took a whole bunch of little drops of "dough," claiming that this resulted in less deformation/stress in the pressing process.

Matt

fluffskul likes this.
  15. No.9

No.9 Member

What a Frankenstein. The dual mono sound is unique. Cartridge alignment must have been a pain,... imagine the amount of groove wear!

16. MLutthans

As noted in post 7 above, you cannot tell a single thing about the actual stereo sound of the record from the recording on the video due to the way the video recording was made.

Matt

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The idiots that do this stuff on YouTube drive me crazy. How hard could it have been to have just run both channels into a preamp, and capture that on camera? [​IMG]

18. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

It doesn't sound like mic/speakers to me.

Plus, there aren't channels on that disk, there are two differently equalized sum and difference tracks and it requires a custom preamp. That Califone rumbles a lot too.

I'd suspect 50s electronics plus those crystal cartridges for that sound. This disc also exists in 'vector stereo' as Cook called it.

19. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

What I heard was a few issues with phase and motor speed, right?

Incidentally, does anybody else have a problem getting back here after looking at one of those YouTube vids...then another...then another...?

Now playing on Ariel Stream: Ingrid Michaelson - Breakable

20. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

It sounded a lot like there was a hard spot on the idler wheel, and the disc slowed now and then. Didn't seem consistent enough to be off-center disc.

Some people probably think all vinyl playback is like that, from the comments I see elsewhere and in articles.

21. MLutthans

Much to my shock, I found a 7.5 ips 2-track reel of this recording on Ebay last week and snapped it up. It was released by Livingston tape company as part of their "Atlantic Tape Library" series. Haven't played it yet. This is a 1952(?) stereo recording, and the reel is probably from 1955 or 1956????

EDIT: Here's an ad for the 5" release (mine is on a 7" reel) from June of 1955:
    Screen shot 2014-02-25 at 10.38.00 AM.png

LeeS likes this.
  22. MLutthans

The recording by Wilbur de Paris is also mentioned in this Feb., 1955, article, excerpted below (from here):
    Screen shot 2014-02-25 at 10.43.42 AM.png

LeeS likes this.
  23. MLutthans

Reopened.

LeeS likes this.
  24. Chuckorama

Chuckorama Forum Resident

Thanks for re-opening this thread. I am very interested in these early stereo recordings by Emory Cook. I just bought a 2-fer CD (on Collectibles) of Wilbur de Paris, leader of a New Orleans jazz band that made 6 or so very enjoyable LPs/EPs for Atlantic, and noticed that Emory Cook was the engineer on the first album, "Marchin' and Swingin' (recorded 1952). Marchin' & Swingin' / At Symphony Hall It's wonderful music and a real pleasure to hear good stereo placement in a recording of this vintage. Not sure how one call tell true stereo from binaural but it sounds good! Did Emory Cook engineer other sessions for Atlantic?

Separately, I can also heartily recommend Cook's Luiz Bonfa recording from 1959, which is available for download from the Emory Cook Collection. Luiz Bonfá: Brazilian Bossa Nova Guitarist | Smithsonian Folkways Recordings

25. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I still would love one of these in the collection. Are there any titles that haven’t been released in any other format? Maybe that voice of the sea recording Mentioned upthread? Would love to needledrop and attempt a digital sync-up, could be interesting

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.