A case for Ringo Starr's induction in the Rock Hall

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheTaxman, Aug 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

There's no case to be made. He simply wasn't good enough on his own, and made zero impact.

Ron Mexico and Dudley Morris like this.
  2. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

It doesn't make more sense than Green Day. I love the Beatles and don't care much for GD, but let's be real. Ringo is ONLY getting in again because he was a Beatle.

Oliver likes this.
  3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I have no issue with Green Day getting in. I have an issue with their being eligible on the grounds that it makes me feel really old.

4. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I love Ringo and agree that he's a great drummer. I also realize that it's a show and more people will tune in if Paul and Ringo are on to Beatle it up. I really don't care if they want to bend the rules to get him in and make that happen but that is definitely what they're doing.

5. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

This one is absolute bulls**t. Anyone who'd suggest that DJ Fontana or Jerry Allison in particular were not "true" rock drummers has clearly not heard many recordings by Elvis or Buddy Holly. The grip used has nothing to do with the power of a drummer's playing.

MaggieMac likes this.
  6. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

So George got in for Extra Texture? Gone Troppo?

They all got in based on their Beatleness. Some more than others.

7. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Did I say otherwise?

8. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

It was only yesterday that they changed the language on the website, but it was four years ago that they ignored the old "Sidemen" criteria and made Leon Russell the first "Musical Excellence" honoree even though he hasn't spent his career out of the spotlight.

But the criteria have always been loose. Even when it was still called the Sidemen category, they were inducting artists with substantial solo careers and multiple hits, like Chet Atkins, Floyd Cramer, and Little Walter.

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Leon was a lot closer to "sideman" than Ringo, though. Leon was a successful session musician before he ever made it as a solo act - and even then, he was never nearly as famous as Ringo.

I still think they should just induct people and not bother with categories - except for maybe "Early Influences", though I gotta admit it seems weird that they're STILL finding "new" acts to induct as "early influences". The Rock Hall has been inducting artists for almost 30 years - shouldn't they have run out of "early influences" by now? :laugh:

10. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

He's Ringo, shut up.

jeatleboe and INSW like this.
  11. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Sure they should. What is the criteria for being nominated to the Hall of Fame? Success and/or fame? Both Duran Duran and INXS were very famous and very successful.

12. I'm also looking at I fluence a d groundbreaking as I'm sure the hall of fame is as well but that's jut my opinion. Neither band broke new ground or were unique enough to be considered.

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Plenty of HOF inductees who're there without being groundbreaking and/or influential.

I think DD should be inducted but probably not INXS...

Ron Mexico likes this.
  14. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Exactly.

jeatleboe likes this.
  15. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Well if "success and/or fame" is the only criteria for inclusion in The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, they're going to need a bigger Hall as it's going to get mighty crowded mighty fast.
    It's become a joke and that wasn't the criteria back in 1987. It was sold to us back then as a rock and roll version of the Baseball Hall of Fame. And to our friends in the UK and elsewhere where that game isn't played, let me tell you that there are many "famous" players who enjoyed long, "successful " careers who helped their teams win championships who will never, ever be even considered for inclusion in that Hall let alone actually getting in. Baseball fans argue about it all the time-everybody has their sentimental favorites--but it doesn't matter. They have no say in the selection.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a joke because the standards are loose--and low. Green Day clearly doesn't deserve inclusion because they are unoriginal and derivative --same with Hall and Oates from a few years back. Sure they both have their fans and detractors (I like H&O, hate Green Day) and both have enjoyed success. But unless every punk band that provided GD with their sound and look and attitude; and every R&B act that were aped by H&O gets into the Hall, neither belongs.

16. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Are you kidding - that's a cinch:

Paul McCartney
    Paul McCartney & Wings
    Wings
    The Fireman
    Bernard Webb
    Paul Ramon
    Percy "Thrills" Thrillington
    Clint Harrigan
    Billy Martin
    ...and (I would assume) Ernie Winfrey

...and all that's just off the top of my head...

theMess, John Fell and Zeki like this.
  17. Also:
    Best Bassist, Beatles
    Best Bassist, Wings
    Best Bassist, Solo Category
    Best Songwriter, Beatles
    Best Guitarist, Wings
    Best Beatles-Related Collaborator With Former Members of Nirvana
    Etc., &c., etc...

Zeki and theMess like this.
  18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

You forgot best drummer Beatles but Ringo is still inducted. :D

Dudley Morris likes this.
  19. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

You won't find many drummers that would agree with that statement. Traditional vs match grip is an endless source of debate. For power and everything else.

20. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Not sure what your point is, but I would have no problem seeing either Jagger or Townshend inducted as solo artists...Richards and Moon less so, which I will explain shortly.

The Beatles, The Who, and The Rolling Stones, all iconic rock bands that were influential, ground breaking, extremely popular, and have wide recognition beyond the fan base. Of these three, only all of the ex-band members of The Beatles had any noted success as solo artists. As I mentioned before, Ringo has had a long music career after his stint with The Beatles, which included some commercial recording success as well as being a long established solo live performer and session musician. I'd put that career up against Joan Jett any day. On top of that he is a distinctly unique and recognizable personality in the history of rock music. Oh, and he was one of The Beatles. All together, I believe these are reasons that thoroughly merit Ringo's recognition as a R&RHOF inductee.

Jagger and Townshend also have established music careers outside of their respective bands, both with some relative commercial success, and it's difficult to ignore who they are and the reasons for their notoriety. Keith Moon's career as a musician outside The Who is virtually non-existent beyond a forgotten, and forgettable, solo album, and Keith Richards' solo work is pretty limited and generally unknown beyond devout fans. Simply put, neither have enough of a profile as solo artists for that kind of acknowledgement. I can't say that I understand the actual criteria and selection process enough to predict whether any of them will be eventually inducted, but, IMO, Jagger and Townshend deserve the recognition as well.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
    TheTaxman likes this.
  21. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Okay then, I'll revise my statement. I think it's ridiculous to suggest that someone playing with a traditional grip cannot play with power. The work of drummers like Fontana and Allison proves that, as does other more recent rock drummers who use the grip, like Stewart Copeland. At minimum, there is certainly no consensus that matched grip produces more powerful drumming, which is what the writer of that article on Ringo was claiming.

22. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Ringo is one case that, while I would vote for him, it truly doesn't matter. Being a Beatle is waay more important than being in the Hall of Fame.

23. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

So a long career, some success, and a unique personality and membership in a famous group are enough?

24. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

The point is, the HOF long ago had abandoned any type of real 'criteria' for making their decisions. At this point, it doesn't even matter who gets in anymore, really. Wouldn't you agree, at this point?

Still, Ringo is worthy based on his innovation as a drummer who inspired many future drummers, alone!

25. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Name a "fourth guy" (or "fifth", or basically the "least guy") in another major band who has accomplished anything like what Ringo has done on his own.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.