"A Chorus Line" - M/C SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JonUrban, Mar 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497 Thread Starter

20 or so years ago, my wife took me kicking and screaming to Broadway to see my first play, and that play was "A Chorus Line". I thought I would hate it, but I actually enjoyed it! Since I knew the soundtrack was quad, I went and bagged it.

So, in the great quad tradition, I bought the new SACD to check out the surround track. Since I did a DTS conversion of the Q8, I had those wav files and that mix to compare with the new one.

This type of music does not appeal to everyone, but I find this to be a pleasant listen.

I can tell you that this is a TOTALLY different mix. It was remixed to give more of a "stage" effect as opposed to the "surround" effect. It comes off pretty well, although the orchestra seems to be "turned down" more. There are times when the Q8 has a full orchestral presence, where on the SACD tracks it is less prominent.

All of the vocals that were in the rears are now planted firmly in the center channel, which is VERY active. The surrounds are very subdued, with mostly a delay-type echo of the front channels. This should please fans who do not like the "gimmickry" of some surround mixes. For instance, the old quad mix has the "voice" moving around the front speakers as he instructs the dancers, whereas on the new mix, he stays pretty much put!

All in all, it is clear and sounds nice. Like I said, less surround, more theater like. The ambience in the rears make for a full sound in a room, with less "surprises" popping up in the rears.

A nice job, but the old mix still stands on its own. Surround fans don't toss your '70s SQ LP or Q8.

I did not listen to the stereo track......this SACD will not play on CD players, so why bother?

2. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

I love the Q8 of Chorus Line...What I Did For Love is one of my all time fave Broadway tracks PERIOD. The Quad 8 mix is fine by me, I like the active surrounds and from your description it sounds like I'd be bored by the SACD. The Q8 actually makes you feel like a member of the cast, rather than a spectator from the umpteeth row. Thanks for the warning, It's just another reason to keep putting off getting that combo player;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.