A Christmas Carol/Scrooge

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Batears52, Dec 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

The book is great. The dialogue a little hard at times, but everyone should read it one time. It is a great story.

four sticks likes this.
  2. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

It's pretty much a rout. The vote isn't even close.

3. FredV

FredV Senior Member

In that case, I highly recommend the following musical versions of the 'Carol':

Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol

Scrooge with Albert Finney

A Muppet Christmas Carol with Michael Caine

A Christmas Carol-The Musical with Kelsey Grammar

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2014
  4. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I'm a bit concerned about the incompleteness of the listings here.

In terms of musical Christmas Carols, the Frederic March & Basil Rathbone one should receive serious consideration. It was done for TV back in the black & white days (The Shower of Stars show) and is in pretty good condition on the DVD release on Timeless Media (TMG). The singing is quite good (even though I really prefer the non-musical versions of the story). http://www.timelessvideo.com/dvds/achristmascarol.html

And as has already been mentioned, the poll also excludes the Patrick Stewart version of a Christmas Carol that was done for TBS, I believe. I know that some people really don't like this, but I think it is my favorite telling of the story. Especially at the end, where you think that Scrooge is choking after he wakes up on Christmas morning, only to find that it is a laugh that is welling up. But since it has been so long since he's laughed, it takes a long time and much effort to find its way out.

5. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I apologize that the poll is not as complete as has been suggested. I compiled the list from what were my particular favorites and which I felt were most familiar to folks, as can be seen by the huge number of votes the Alastair Sim's version has received. If a moderator can just add a couple of more of the suggested 'Carols' to the list, I think that will satisfy folks who feel their favorites were unintentionally left out.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. :)

6. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Mr. MaGoo for me. The songs, the story, the broadway show framing device.

An unheralded classic.

7. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Scrooged.

I'm a sucker for Karen Allen.

8. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Albert Finney is my fave.

9. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

Mr Magoo!

10. ScaramangaFran

ScaramangaFran Forum Resident

George C. Scott Christmas Carol is the first one that springs to mind.

11. wmspence

wmspence Senior Member

Whole bunch of different ways to tell a great story ! I voted for Scott but remember Sim and Magoo fondly.

Bill

12. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

George C. Scott by a mile. In second is Patrick Stewart.

13. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

My favorite is the audio version with Ronald Colman as Scrooge. It was directed by George Wells, who directed many of the Lux Radio Theater radio shows and featured music by Ken Darby (vocal) and Victor Young (instrumental). If you are lucky enough to hear it, I think you might agree it is definitive. But, it's a story that stands up to different casts. It's really a wonderful Christmas story.

14. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Barrymore actually played Scrooge numerous times on radio in the '30s, and was apparently all lined up to star in MGM's 1938 film when he had the accident that left him wheelchair-bound, and Reginald Owen was quickly cast in his stead. He was also unable to do the Campbell Playhouse radio broadcast that year, leaving Orson Welles to assume the role.

15. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

Alastair Sim version was the first version I remember watching and is still my favorite.

16. Kirk76

Kirk76 Forum Resident

Patrick Stewart's

17. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

My first exposure to A Christmas carol was either the '69 or '71 animated version. I can't remember which one it was, but I was hooked. I've since watched both on You Tube and like them both. Last year, I bought a compilation DVD of Rudolph and other Rankin-Bass Christmas shows. This DVD also included the Mr. Magoo Carol. I had never seen this and now am a big fan. I also own the most recent Alastair Sim version, and I believe that is my overall favorite. One day I'll get to the Reginald Owen version on the DVD. I think I started watching it once and got distracted. I'll get back to it.

I have also downloaded the Campbell Playhouse radio version with Orson Wells. I'll listen to that soon on my iPod. I guess I need to search for the Lionel Barrymore radio version.

I see there are several book versions for my Kindle for free or $0.99. I think I'll get one of those also since I've never read the original.

I'm interested in why Jim thinks the Alastair Sim version is so bad. So far, I think his is the only negative response to Sim.

Jeff

18. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Attached Files:

19. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Alastair Sim followed very closely by Albert Finney

20. FredV

FredV Senior Member

If it was 1971 it could have been the animated version directed by Richard Williams, produced by Chuck Jones with Alastair Sim recreating the role of Scrooge.

You can see the 1971 animated version on YouTube at these links:

Part 1

Part 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MLXlWizOlo&feature=related

Part 3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DWAGiHsP3E&feature=related

21. FredV

FredV Senior Member

22. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Since audio versions of the story have been mentioned in this thread, I must also again bring up Patrick Stewart, who did a one-man show and then re-did it in the studio, reading all the parts.

My wife bought it years ago as a cassette set, but it's available in CD format.

Harry

23. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

Don't forget the Ralph Richardson/Paul Scofield Caedmon audio version. It's actually in stereo on the original LP issue.

Other audio versions:
    Ronald Colman
    Lionel Barrymore
    Orson Welles
    Basil Rathbone

As I said before, my favorite is Ronald Colman, not only because of his great performance, but Victor Young and Ken Darby's music. It was originally released on a 78rpm set in 1946. It was edited down so that it would fit on one LP side or four 45rpm sides a few years later. The edited version has been issued on a Deutsche Grammophone CD. The edited version is fine. Although it creates one story continuity issue, the two scenes removed are the weakest. The only criticism of the CD I have is the noise filtering and addition of slight reverb. LPs and even the 78rpm sets are plentiful. I did my own needle drops.

24. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I had the enormous pleasure of seeing Patrick Stewart perform 'A Christmas Carol' live on Broadway back in the early 1990's. He portrayed all the characters himself on a bare stage with just a wooden chair and a lectern and he gave a magnificent performance. When he first walked onstage the first thing he did was step to the lectern on which a copy of Dickens' 'Carol' was resting and he lifted the book up in his hand so that the audience could applaud Dickens' classic work. I have the audio book of Stewart's version of the 'Carol' in my collection as well which I give a listen from time to time.

I have some great memories about attending that Broadway performance. I went to the theater on Christmas Eve with the hope that there might be some tickets left. As it turned out standing room was the only thing available and I literally purchased the last ticket for the performance, much to the chagrin of the folks waiting behind me also hoping to get tickets. I've done standing room at Broadway shows before and my spot was right behind the orchestra row, so I had a great, close-up view of the stage.

The show had started and Stewart was deep into his performance when I noticed a couple in the orchestra suddenly get up and walk to the side doors that led into the theater's lobby. I could hear the couple loudly complaining to the theater manager who was doing his best to have them lower their voices. I heard the gentleman fuming, "What is this? It's just one guy on that stage! Where's the sets? What happened to the music?". I surmised that this couple thought that they were going to see the musical version of 'A Christmas Carol' (which is the basis of the Kelsey Grammar version) that was playing at the Theater at Madison Square Garden the same night, and instead ended up at the Stewart version! I believe the management gave them back their money and the man returned to the seats to retrieve their coats and they left.

After the couple left, I turned to another person who was next to me at the standing room rail and we both had the same idea and nodded to each other. When the lights went up for the intermission, me and the other person made a beeline for the empty orchestra seats and for the second act we got to enjoy the rest of the show comfortably seated. Now, I had paid $15 for my original standing room spot, so it was especially gratifying to be able to enjoy the rest of the show sitting in $40 orchestra seats. That evening was definitely my most satisfying 'Carol' experience! :righton:

P.S.: I know it's not as well known, but I would seek out the Kelsey Grammar musical version. It's a good production with music by Alan Menken. This YouTube clip features Geraldine Chaplin (Charlie Chaplin's daughter), as the Ghost of Christmas Future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR2-GJmXOGw

Attached Files:

25. FredV

FredV Senior Member

An additional note about the musical version of 'A Christmas Carol' of which the video version stars Kelsey Grammar as Scrooge. The original stage production with music by Alan Menken played at the Theater at Madison Square Garden for 10 years starting in 1994. The production was unique in that a different big name actor played Scrooge during the 10 year run of the show.

Among the well-known actors who have played Scrooge in this production include Tony Randall, Frank Langella, Terrence Mann, Hal Linden, Roddy McDowell (in what would be his final stage appearance before his death), Tim Curry and the Who's Roger Daltrey. I got to see all but Linden and McDowell as Scrooge (I was playing Bob Cratchit in another production of 'A Christmas Carol' at the time and was unable to see the musical version because it conflicted with the production I was in).

I particularly enjoyed Tim Curry and Roger Daltrey's turns as Scrooge, Daltrey really looked like he was having a great time and he sang the part very well. The television version with Kelsey Grammar came out a year after the live production finished it's run at Madison Square Garden.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.