"A Christmas Story" - 20th Anniversary Edition to be released in widescreen!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, May 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

This is from a chat a few weeks ago at TheDigitalBits.com:

[Warner] Ho Ho Ho. It's XMAS in April. Yes, we have a new 16x9 20th Anniversary CHRISTMAS STORY special edition coming in time for the holidays.

If you listen closely, you can hear collective cheers from forum members.

2. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

This is the sound of my hands clapping. CLAP! CLAP!

I'm so happy they decided to release this in WS. As long as they destroy that last transfer. Nasty looking, warbly, glitchy transfer.

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Just because I love to nit-pick, the chat was sponsored by the Home Theater Forum, but the Digital Bits provides a link to the transcript. It is located here. For you "just the facts, ma'am" types, I attempted a summary of all of the titles mentioned for release this or next year in a post in the "Movies that need to be released on DVD" thread in this forum.

Regards,

4. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Do you really? Hadn't noticed:laugh: ;) :D And with regards, too, can't beat that....

Good news, anyway; let's see if they can spruce up that picture, too, and maybe a Bob Clark commentary.

ED:cool:

5. Chaney

Chaney New Member

Terrific news.

How about commentary by Peter Billingsly?

Anyone seen Peter lately?

6. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Didn't he join a religious cult or something? Has anyone seen this guy since this film? I can't remember.....

ED:cool:

7. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

He recently produced film called "Made" with John Favreau and Vince Vaughn.

Attached Files:

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Wow! Great news...Finally all the moaning about the wavyness will cease...I'll take that wonderful movie on any format...It's not about the width, it's about the season...A family favorite! I'm happy...

9. Michael

:laugh: Yup! Say it with a slap...

10. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Also in this article:

<ScottDS> Anything you can tell us about your plans for Looney Tunes
    (hopefully uncensored)?

<Warner> OK here we go. All of the LOONEY TUNES cartoons are being remastered from
    new film elements made from the original negatives. We have an extensive program
    planned that finally unites both the pre-'48 Turner-owned cartoons and the WB cartoons.
    The first big release will be later this year and contain oodles of extras directed
    towards the classic animation fans. Several respected animation experts are
    participating on the special features as we speak. Fans of THE GOLDEN AGE OF
    LOONEY TUNES LD sets will not be disappointed!

<JeffKleist> Why are we getting Tom & Jerry best-ofs when Japan has all of the
    "good" (non-buddy) ones at a very low price in both censored and uncensored versions,
    and now the UK is getting the same discs? I will import them if i have to, I'd much
    rather have yours. Also, Tiny Toons and Animaniacs, when? Thank you!

<Warner> TOM & JERRY collections will arrive with uncut, complete theatrical
    version cartoons starting next year. This will include all the cartoons made by
    Bill Hanna and Joe Barbera for MGM between 1940-1957. No plans for Tiny toons
    or Animaniacs

And FINALLY!!!!

<Thomas_Hart> Thanks for coming here tonight. I have only 2 words: MARX BROS? Honk!
    "Make that 3 hard boiled eggs!"

<Warner> HERE YOU GO. The Marx Bros. arrive in '04. NIGHT AT THE OPERA, DAY AT
    THE RACES and many more.

11. Michael

I dunno...I never saw those warbly, etc stuff on my DVD edition???...Maybe Santa brought me a special one? or just my love for the movie made me happy enough to ignore the defects? I'm looking forward to the new improved version...I believe it was shot OPEN MATTE though...so goodbye to the extra info Top & Bottom extra's we're used to viewing every year...Gotta fill those 16 X9's...

12. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

The music score is pretty warped. Right after Ralphie gets the bad grade on his theme and Scott Farcus hit in the face with that snowball the music is very warbly. The picture throughout shimmies, although some sort of digital stabilization is going on so it looks more stable.

13. Michael

I see your point, I found it quite humorous though that peolpe were complaining about wavyness that actually was part of the movie itself...
    Hopefully, the upgrade will correct all flaws...

14. AKA

Trivia: What role did Zack Ward, who played Scut Farcus in "A Christmas Story," grow up to play?

Answer: Red Dog in "Almost Famous."

15. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I always thought the brother on Titus looked like Scott Farcus. Is that him too?

16. AKA

Good eye! 'Tis him!

17. aceman400

aceman400 Power to the Metal

Great News. My patience is rewarded. I've been holding off getting this until it was done right.
    Thanks,
    Aaron

18. AKA

So how much of MGM's catalog does Warner own?

19. Ken_McAlinden

Warner has all the pre-1986 MGM titles. I can't remember if that is inclusive or exclusive of 1986 itself (but I think it is exclusive). There may be speciifc exceptions, but that's the rule of thumb.

(They could, conceivably, do a "Nearly Complete Tex Avery" box set since they have both his Warner and MGM cartoons in their library. That's a piece of vaporware that I would pay for!)

Regards,

20. AKA

Wow, I didn't realize the purchase was that extensive. Does this include all the Tom & Jerry cartoons and the pre-1986 Bond movies?

21. Ken_McAlinden

MGM holds the rights to the United Artists, Orion, Cannon and Polygram catalogs, which includes the James Bond and Rocky franchises. Most of the pre-80s catalog DVD releases from MGM are UA films, which include a lot of great stuff.

WB also has the complete RKO catalog.

Regards,

22. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

:goodie:

23. Excellent news Brad. :thumbsup:
    :goodie: :goodie: :righton: :thumbsup: :nauga:
    I was somewhat aware of the Warner cartoons coming to DVD, but did not know how much was being put into them. Impressive!
    Tom and Jerry. Very impressive as well. Nice to hear the Warner guys actually say the MGM cartoons will be uncut. But I did notice the Warner guys did not say anything specific to the question about the uncensored Looney Tunes cartoons. Kind of concerns me. I just hope we don't get the ABC Saturday morning versions of the Warner cartoons.

There is an extensive discussion of the ethnic and racial humour used in the Warner cartoons from 1930 to 1945, including the war cartoons, in both editions of the Warner Brothers Cartoons book by Jerry Beck and Will Friedwald. Wonder if any of these cartoons or ones that are not politically correct, will end up in the DVD series such as Warners' last cartoon in 1969, Bob McKimson's "Injun Trouble", "Bugs Bunny Nips The Nips" (April, 1944), Tokyo Jokio (May, 1943), Coal Black and De Sebben Dwarfs (Decenber,1942), or a cartoon that I have on tape, "Congo Jazz". It's Waner's second cartoon from early 1930, starring "Bosko" Warners answer to Mickey Mouse. In this cartoon Bosko charms the smiling jungle animals with his musical abilities and teaches them to make music using their own bodies. That part of the cartoon is OK, but in the middle, Bosko spanks a little monkey. Not to PC in my books. I've seen a couple of other cartoons where little ones get spanked. It's weird now when you view that.

BTW, is Warner releasing the Merrie Melodies cartoons as well? There was about a 50/50 split between Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies cartoons.

Attached Files:

24. Ken_McAlinden

Warner PR folks refer to the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies cartoons interchangeably as "Looney Tunes". I expect the cartoons released to be uncensored, but I don't expect some of the more controversial titles (Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips, Coal Black and De Sebben Dwarfs, etc.) to be among them. We shall see.

Regards,

25. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

yes, that book is an invaluable reference. I used it extensively for cross-referencing when I was avidly taping the cartoons in the late 80's off of TNT (they used to air them very early in the morning!), Nickelodeon, ABC-TV (Saturdays), local WOR-TV. Actually TNT used to air the Inki cartoons (so did the syndicated "Bugs and Daffy") before they removed from them from rotation, and also censored some of the non-PC segments fom other toons.

BB Nips the Nips, and the Inki's made it to Laser Disc, but Coal Black did not AFAIK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.