A comparison between an 9 year old and a new stylus

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Thomas_A, Apr 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident Thread Starter

There are now and then questions that deals with when to change stylus, and when is it old etc. I just got my new SAS boron stylus after some two months travel from US to Sweden. So I made a comparison with my old and new stylus using a track that has been used previously by others. The old stylus is 9 years but not so much played. A guess is around 500-1000 hours. JICO claims a change after 500 hours, based on distortion measurements at 15 kHz.

It is an inner track of the Smiths "Cementry Gates", having some s-sounds. The tracks below are with a new and old stylus. Can you tell which one is which?

1: Dropbox - Cementry gates_1.wav

2: Dropbox - Cementry gates_2.wav

A previous thread also used the same song for comparison of two cartridges. Since it is another record it is not possible to know if differences are caused by pressing etc.

Cartridge Comparisons on YouTube

2. Russ_B66

Russ_B66 Forum Resident

I prefer #1. I like the tune. Very cool bassline.

3. Thomas_A

Thank you for the vote. Yes I agree, it is a cool Smiths song, the whole record is good.

4. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I prefer track 2. I think it's the old stylus - well broken in. Track 1 I think is the new stylus - needs some hours of break-in to bloom.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  5. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

Now, that's funny. I hear it the other way around. I prefer track 1. I think it's the old stylus - well broken in. Track 2 I think is the new stylus - needs some hour of break-in to bloom.

Benzion likes this.
  6. Benzion

Shows you how different our ears are.

Jimi Floyd likes this.
  7. Helom

Helom Forum member

The SAS stylus' take about 50 hours to "come on song" as they say.

8. Thomas_A

I could post a comparison in a few weeks to see whether there is an audible difference.

9. missan

missan Forum Resident

Can´t really say, I guess any could be new or old. Still I would make a guess #1 is the old.

10. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

Track 1 seems to have more detail but it could be entirely my imagination

11. Thomas_A

Interesting answers so far, it seems that the difference is not that large, and I agree about that. Nevertheless there is an audible difference.

12. LARGERTHAN

LARGERTHAN Forum Resident

Just had a quick listen - seems to me there's more high frequency information/ clarity in file 1. Which of course is not to say necessarily better, but certainly my preference.

Ducking for cover, but if file 1 is your speed, one may be better served by plain old Spotify (had a quick compare with 2011 master) - it seems to go further down the road in this respect. As ever, no right or wrong here...

13. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

the difference isnt massive but id prefer number 1, seems to be a tiny bit clearer although i only listened through my crappy laptop inbuilt speaker.

14. Thomas_A

Tonality, it is close to the 2011 Spotify version. The reason to choose this file just because it is the end of the record, and has some nasty sibilants that impose a more difficult tracking and may thus reveal more if there is a difference between the old and new stylus.

15. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

I preferred number 1. Sounded a little "tighter" to me.

16. harby

harby Forum Resident

I thought from the title this was going to be a different type of thread

Gumboo, Eduardo Denaro and luckyno13 like this.
  17. Thomas_A

:)

You got me there.

18. 1 sounded brighter and lacked dynamics seemed louder
    2 sounded smoother and the strings seemed more alive like in the last section

but Im listening to this while Under the influence and on crappy headphones on a sub par computer.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  19. lerkst

lerkst Well-Known Member

2. is more relaxed. Unoffensive to listen to. So I would say that is the older one
    1. Is more forward, more edgy. New one I guess,

I like them both though. For a last track I think they both do well. With my first HiFi I had to stop before the record finished cos of the distortion. Buts that's a £75 Sony turntable for you

20. Thomas_A

Track 1 is the old stylus
    Track 2 is the new stylus

Here are the measurements for the old and new stylus. As seen the new one and old one are very similar to about 10 kHz. Above 10 kHz the new one has more output, indicating that wear shows as HF loss above 12-13 kHz (in addition to higher distorsion). The output is a little different between channels and suggests that the left channel could do better to use less resistance (e.g. 38-42 kOhm or so). I´ll be back with some loading adjustments. Right channel has about 0.5 dB more output in these measurements at 1 kHz.

[​IMG]

floweringtoilet and Brave like this.
  21. Thomas_A

Sorry, I made a mistake; my answer was mixed up above:

Track 1: new stylus
    Track 2: old stylus.

The graph is ok.

22. Night Rider

Night Rider Well-Known Member

I preferred track 2.

23. Benzion

Aha! So I was right!

24. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Preference here for Track 1. I’d probably be a little disappointed if I had this stylus and it changed to sounding like Track 2 after 50 hours.

25. Track 2 sounded better to me as well

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.