A Complete Introduction to Disco [Box set]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rob L, Aug 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Be warned that not all of them are the single versions. Amii Stewart's "Knock On Wood", for an example.

2. yogibear

yogibear Active Member

thats cool but once dan hartman left the edgar winter group i did not follow his work since for the most part a white boy leaving a hard rock band and switching to disco just didn't sound right to me for some reason lol ;)

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The correct 3:36 single version of this song is on this CD:

Disco Classics
    Varese 302-066 465

4. Ricko

Ricko Forum Resident

Are you kidding? "The Hustle" is seminal disco, and was thrashed in clubs as long as people danced The Hustle. What "Rock Around The Clock" is to rock'n'roll dancing, so "The Hustle" is to that dance.

Again, disco is a primarily and exclusively a dance genre. Top 40 hits are Top 40 hits, and although they're quite relevant they don't define disco music. It's only in the minds of oldies collectors that some disco radio hits like the Bee Gees output are the defining moments of the genre.

I'm wondering how many critics of this comp actually dance - let alone listen to dance radio or even read the dance charts for that matter lol

5. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Yes, but it's a needle drop on the Varese cd, right?

The only cd where I've found a tape source that matches the original single -- until it goes into a much extended outro -- is a relatively early BMG Canada release. I don't have easy access to that cd at the moment, but it was part of a 2 volume set and I think it was called Disco Classics.

6. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I don't go out dancing anymore (mostly because I'm not interested in most new dance music but also because at my age I can no longer tolerate being in clubs that are as loud as all dance clubs seem to be), but I still regularly consult my Billboard Top Dance Hits book and I listen to disco almost every morning while doing cardio.

7. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I agree that the Disco Discharge series deserves props for going beyond the predictable titles. It's obviously a series for collectors of the genre. One track that stood out for me after getting their initial batch of 4 titles was Suzy Q's Get On Up And Do It Again. I subsequently found that I actually already had this on another compilation, but I guess the track didn't stand out to me when I first got it. I don't remember hearing that track back when it was released, but I love it now.

8. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

:unhunh: :cheers:

9. Do I detect a bit of defensiveness? But around here I guess that's understandable. Again, I wasn't criticizing, but just asking whether a song I've always percieved as a lightweight novelty number was something more. And so it turns out to be, and I have learned something.

And re dancing: you wanna step on the dance floor and have a Hustle-off, bucko? My junior high dance classes have burned many of those moves into my muscle memory, so you'd better bring your game. :winkgrin:

10. clairehuxtable

clairehuxtable Forum Resident

I had the same experience with a track on Vol 1; "Living Up To Love: by Companion. I've owned it for years on another comp (Boris Midney Collection) but I guess it didn't make an impession when I first heard it (love it now).

11. Ricko

Ricko Forum Resident

HAAAAAA....sometimes I forget my smileys!

But a grudge-match is a grudge match and I'm in my Jordache jeans & red Crayons shoes, so choose a lady mister and I WILL SEE YOU ON THE FLOOR!!!:laugh:

12. Rob L

Rob L Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes scroll back a week or so and they talk about the new ones..no track list yet tho.

13. Rob L

As for the Bee Gees, I love em but I would rather have something more obscure since they have been pretty well covered on cd. Not that there are a ton on rarities on this but even so.

14. I also agree with much of what Willow has written. Maybe some of us went to different discos... but I remember rock in the clubs in both NYC and the UK. Disc one seems to be proto disco.

Now the big question.... where's the vinyl version?

15. Rob L

The box is great, lots of album and 12 inch versions.

16. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I love this box set. I have a lot of disco/dance compilations in my collection (my favourites being "Motown Disco" released about five years or so ago, the "Give Your Body Up" series from the '90s and the "Journey into Paradise" Larry Levan tribute CD) but this is a welcome set.

Excellent choices all around. I don't mind that there are no Bee Gees tracks because they don't usually end up on disco compilations (probably due to licensing and I assume they don't want their music on disco-specific compilations). The sound is great and the liner notes are thorough and well-written.

My only quibble is that the the version of Three Degrees' thumping "The Runner" is the single version and not the 12" version.

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Wow, all those "Disco S##ks" guys are going to be twisting in agony in front of their computers.

18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Not read the thread.

Is this the definitve box to get?

19. Grant

20. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Yes. Good track selection & all bases covered, from the proto disco of The Equals through to the Euro Disco of Cerrone & Moroder, through to the post-'Disco Sucks' era of CD4.

Well worth picking up.

21. alexpop

Definitive box.

How many tracks on the 6 cd box (Grant's choice) ?

22. alexpop

Sorry, I don't think Eddie Grant
    (great though he is, comes into the disco equa tion)
    ..though Electric Avenue is good.

I'd have to cherry pick the tracks listed.

23. Grant

The Equals/Eddy Grant was not disco.

24. alexpop

Correctimo

25. pcain

pcain Forum Resident

Thanks for recommending the Disco Discharge compilations -- they are amazing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.