A connection with modern music..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Veech, Apr 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds Thread Starter

I fell asleep on the couch the other night with the TV still on, woke up at 3:00 am in the middle of a half-hour infomercial for the band Muse and their album "Absolution". Maybe I was in a suggestive state, but they pretty much knocked my sox off! They make a hella noise for a 3-piece, and their live performances were top notch!

So the next morning I told my wife I wanted to go to Best Buy and grab this CD, and my 15-yr old daughter says "don't bother Dad, I have it." So she gave it to me last week and I haven't given it back yet. :righton: I really like this album, and at least half of these songs are what I'd consider keepers, where repeated playing doesn't wear them out prematurely.

But the real point of this post is that I've suddenly developed a connection to some modern music, something I never thought I could do. Most of what my kids play is this redundant ***** rock crap with screeching unintelligable incomprehensable manic screaming passsing for "singing". ugh. Obviously that isn't the only thing out there for new hard rock music, but it's been so long since I've connected with any new contemporary rock that I'm absolutely elated that it's still possible.

So.... for those of you familiar with the Muse album, what else is out now in a similar vein? Are they an anomoly, or are there other modern rock groups that actually write good edgy songs with sharp arrangements and virtuoso performances? p.s. I grew bored with "American Idiot" after about 6 spins, and was disappointed that it was so highly praised. But I'm hopeful now....

2. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Are McFly modern? I think their album is superb, but I found myself the subject of ridicule when I mentioned it at work. For all I know it is an exercise in production but Obviously is brilliant...

I also find Keane excellent as well, but I know nothing about them...

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I've often stumbled on new nusic bu waking up to MTV. It's probably at that stage of waking when your biases haven't kicked in yet.

4. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

There is still a lot of good new music out there, but it never gets played on the radio or MTV.

5. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Veech,

What non-modern music do you like? What are some of your favorite artists?

6. vette442

vette442 Senior Member

Very true.

If you like Muse, I will highly recommend New Invisible Joy (www.newinvisiblejoy.com) - phenomenal vocals, great songs and musicianship both live and recorded.

And for more new music that I'm intimately familiar with... . If you liked the darker 80s Brit stuff the first time or from the current recycling trend, check this UK review of Seven Color Sky's latest EP at http://www.drownedinsound.com/articles/11985.html . Produced by John Ashton of the Psychedelic Furs. Read and see more at www.sevencolorsky.com. If it's up your alley, let me know. You can get the full length album and the new EP for $12 (shipped) in the U.S.... (yes, SCS is my band... ;) )

Terry

7. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds Thread Starter

well, *heh* Beatles of course..

But I would say my favorite rock band is Extreme. I like their versatility and how they can rock. I like the big sound, the layered guitars, the riffs, the big thick sound with sharp arrangements and smooth chord transitions. I even enjoy the stripped down arrangements of "Punchline", because the mix was big.

But with Muse, I like the hard edge and the touch of industrial gothic that influences the chord changes, how they flow between minor and major chords with little effort. The touches of NIN and even Marilyn Manson are good. Big sound, huge riffs, thick bottom, *dynamics* (very important), great arrangements and I am even ok with the occasional processing on the vocals. They remind me of a cross bewteen NIN and Ultravox, only rocking twice as hard as either one. And it doesn't hurt that they can jam.

I also like the techno flavored stuff.. Trevor Horn's repetitive techno rock (i.e. some Frankie tracks), Tomoyasu Hotei's "Battle Without Honor and Integrity" is a current fave. Power Station sounded good to me, big sound, rocking out. Big chords, hard rock, smart arrangements, decent vocals, riffs..

I'd be grateful for any recommendations :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.