A controversial issue about remastering..."Pet Sounds"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claus, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Did you ever hear the Sea Of Tunes Pet Sounds Box Sets? They are wonderful!

2. Cousin It

Cousin It Senior Member

EROC sure does love his toys.I had the Move's "Great Move" disc released by EMI-U.S and it while not perfect,slagged by one of the folks on this board,has tape hiss and that grungey(for want of a better word) sound the tapes would have.Imagine my surprise when I bought Rep's 2 CD Move compile with some of the same tracks without a hint of tape hiss or any of those songs sonic blemishes,the sound is err !! "shiny".It sounds naked without it .I only buy Rep's stuff because it's a lot easier getting those old Vertigo albums from them than spending large amounts of money at auctions.

3. Pepzhez

Pepzhez New Member

It is odd - Eroc seems to be getting a thrashing here by people who admit they've never heard his work! All this based on a quote whose real context is unclear. Come on ... ! Please calm down and listen before judging. I really think Eroc is one of the good guys - and as far as mastering engineers go, we all know what a short list that is!

I know that most here think any sort of NR is pure evil (I usually agree with this), but to give Eroc his due, he does indeed seem to be the most skillful NR applier (did I just coin a new phrase there?) around. Based on what I have heard, if the label or artists are insisting that NR be applied, I believe Eroc is the man for the job. Certainly they could've used his touch when they applied NR to the Stones SACDs. Listen to Eroc's new remaster of Amon Düül II's Carnival In Babylon and see what he managed with a crap recording and badly decaying copy masters (all ADII session masters were chucked in the trash by German UA/Liberty some years ago).

I will, however, agree that there generally are national differences when it comes to mastering philosophies. From experience, I can tell you that German producers/engineers/musicians are obsessive - too obsessive, according to my natural American bent - over things like tape hiss and any sort of noise. My personal recording experiences over there convinced me that this overkill often sucks the life out of performances, but I understand that our philosophies just differ.

4. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

EROC did the remastering on Quicksilver's Happy Trails on Repertoire. It also credits him with a restore. It's pretty good, beats any other version I've heard.

5. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Thanks for the info, Mike. Something to check out soon; I have only Capitol vinyl for reference on this one.

ED:cool:

6. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

It's getting harder to find. I had to order mine from germanmusicexpress.com. Very good source for imports.

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'll have to check them out.

:)

8. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

I think there is too much generalizing going on here. Each remastered album, regardless of who did it, must be listened to and it is either well mastered or it isn't. Then the information is passed on via this board.

The most important asset a mastering engineer can have is taste; the ability to listen to music and understand where the artist is coming from and to know how it should be presented in order to retain the artistic spirit and let the music flow, while being able to create a proper sonic balance in the context of that spirit. You can have the keenest ears on the planet but if you don't understand the inspiration behind the music, forget it.

9. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

A flat transfer can still be influenced by the playback chain choices, etc.

Todd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.