A conversation I had with the Operator at Sony Music Store

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jojopuppyfish, Feb 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member Thread Starter

I asked her if SACD was a dead format, and she told me that they are selling really well, and customers are raving about them.
    She felt Sony is fully behind the sacd and will release more.
    Obviously not an official word from a Higher up exec at sony, but some encouraging words.
    When I mentioned I was buying the Miles Davis sacds because I thought they were going out of print, she said absolutely not. She was very bullishish on SACD, even though she had never listened to a SACD.
    Hope this helps.

2. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Where has she been?

3. jojopuppyfish

What do you mean? Please explain further

4. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Did you have this conversation with her recently, or was this from a few years ago. :D

Based on what Sony has in the release pipeline regarding software (nothing as far as I know), and the fact that DualDisc's are coming out left and right from the label - I have to take what this women says with a grain of salt. I wish I didn't, but I have no other proof, but what I see Sony Music doing in the marketplace.

5. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

I dont mean to thread crap, but she might as well have said you were good looking too. Its just good customer service, she cant speak bad of any of the company available products.

You should have asked her about the next batch of Dylan SACD's ;) :D

6. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I wonder if DualDisc has held up some SACDs but not really stopped them. Sony may have a limited budget for new formats and they may return to releasing SACDs after the initial batch of DualDiscs is finished...

7. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Not to poop here (sounds like a nice conversation) but does that mean we should hold off buying SACDs if we want them? No.

When it's too late, it's too late. Everyone who loves SACD should snap up all the Miles Davis SACDs while they can. We get NO WARNING when it goes out of print, you see. No one from Sony's gonna tell you it is.

8. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I thought you meant "where has she been all my life?" (for supporting SACD) :)

9. IanL

IanL Senior Member

:laugh:

MikeT basically summed up what I was thinking when I typed that though.

10. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Forum Resident

Yeah - she works at the Sony Music store, is bullish about SACD and she's never heard one?? Yikes! Somebody call her manager!

11. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

12. jojopuppyfish

I had a 10 minute conversation with her TODAY (2/25/05) and I finally said,
    "I don't want to take up more of your time"
    And she said, "You've been the nicest person to me all day. I hate my job. Everyone that calls in complains."
    From my conversation, it sounded like everyone in the office was talking about it in a positive way. Other than selling sacds, she has never played a disc. After our conversation, she sounded like she was going to go out and buy one.

I am only trying to pass on the encouraging word that Sony will continue to publish sacds.

13. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing. Your optimism and encouraging news is refreshing to read. The master plans of executives in the SACD camp is not easy to determine. Many fans determine the success of SACD on how many Rock titles are released. Others seek Classical and Jazz.
    From my vantage point as a Classical and Jazz enthusiast, I'm very pleased with the avaliable titles to date.

14. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Hope she buys an SACD player while she's at it.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I really would like some form of hi-res music to succeed... but it will take time, and probably have to ride on the coattails of a high-capacity visual medium, like HD-DVD or BluRay... if those are able to survive.

15. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I, also, have been very pleased with the available titles to date (Jazz, Classical and Rock). The problem is.... where are the future releases?

16. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Mike,

Universal has committed to 150 titles in 2005. And about every serious audiophile, jazz and classical record label has some level of commmitment. Chesky, Telarc, and Fantasy continue to release and make announcements.

Another factor with Sony may be the BMG merger. Maybe they will pick up soon as their strategy gets nailed down.

17. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

So what! Jeff Wayne's WAR OF THE WORLDS is the most boring POS I own on vinyl. I listened to it all of twice. This is the last SA-CD on earth I'd ever buy. I hope it never gets released. Nobody wants this junk!

18. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Somebody wants every SACD that's released. I would probably not buy it either.

19. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

That may be true Rachael but at least it's a sign that something Super Audio is alive at Sony/BMG.

20. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Right, but this is SONY UK, not USA, so this will be a high priced import to "us" (er, US), and we might get this title on a Dolby Digital Dual Disc! :eek:

Good news, yes. A turn in the right direction, not quite.

21. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Is it beloved in the U.K.? Nobody liked it here. It didn't sell well and I certainly regret wasting money on it. It's a U-turn on the expressway, wrong way Sony strikes again, head-on to stupidity!

22. Jay

Jay New Member

Now there's an oxymoron. Sigh.

23. Jay

Jay New Member

Then there should be 25 I could buy today. I count zero.

Not everyone cares about audiophile labels. I just want rock and roll in SACD format from normal labels. Columbia could be doing Springsteen, the Byrds, Elvis Costello and the rest of Dylan, at the very least.

24. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

Check the web stores in the U.K., France, Germany and the Netherlands. They often have some very good prices on the SACDs that are available only in Europe.

25. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

But a lot us do so it is relevant and there are lots of non-audiophile labels issuing great product.

Springsteen is rumored for Super Audio treatment but no official word yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.