A Cure for Wellness

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RickH, Feb 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts Thread Starter

This starts Friday, 2/17...looks positively twisted :yikes:

2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

3. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

You've screened it?

4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Yeah, unfortunately. Saw it in Austin.

5. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

That's too bad...the premise of the real life horrors of what used to happen at institutions years ago coupled with th horror genre has the potential for a good scare-fest.

6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Its too germanic and campy. It tries to be Bram Stoker and ends up being silly schlock imo. Others may think differently.

Mia Goth is a good actress though. Thats why I suggested the other film. Its a very dark depressing apocolyptic film. Just a warning in case that isnt your thing.

7. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I was looking forward to this -- till I saw the reviews.

8. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Sounds like you would like "Session 9"- a very imperfect movie, but a good one that fits your criteria.

agentalbert likes this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Bombing big-time in America this weekend.

mpayan likes this.
  10. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

What a bloated mess. Saw it last night and found it far too long, with what I assume were supposed to be the "big reveals" telegraphed very early on. The third act goes preposterously over the top, but from the start I wasn't engaged. It's a total bore.

etzeppy and mpayan like this.
  11. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Saw it last night, and still have no idea what was going on.

12. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Kids stuff, id-in-it.

MaxxMaxx4 likes this.
  13. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I was looking forward to this, really liked the premise: guy checks in and to his horror, can't check out. But a good premise doesn't make a good movie, obviously. A shame. If you want good horror, see The Green Room and/or Don't Breathe. Horror movies ain't my thing, but both of these are tight, muscular films, without all the flab.

With a body like that, I don't think she really needs to act . . . that much.:rolleyes:

Tree of Life likes this.
  14. MaxxMaxx4

MaxxMaxx4 Forum Resident In Memoriam

Id id so. lol

Tim 2 likes this.
  15. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I agree with this. My wife and I checked it out yesterday during a matinee show (and with only about 4 other people in the theater with us).

It started out interesting, and had some great visuals all the way through. But the story started getting corny the more it went along, and I agree with "preposterous" for the final portion of the film.

It definitely wasn't the movie I thought it was going to be based on the trailer I saw.

16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Saw this last night, and while the visuals were absolutely beautiful, it was disappointing. I'd really been looking forward to this one since seeing the very brief teaser several moths ago. The longer preview gave away too much, but I tried to discount that. Too bad the critics are right about this one. Everything is telegraphed very clearly well in advance and there is no real surprise. I still enjoyed watching it on the big screen, but wish it had turned out better.

etzeppy likes this.
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

What's weird is that this is a Gore Verbinski movie, and he's made some very successful films in the past (including the first three Pirates movies for Disney). Unfortunately, then he made Lone Ranger, which lost a ton of dough, and now this. I think a movie like this could've done OK if it had been really cheap, like maybe $6M-$7M, but somehow it wound up costing $40M. It ain't never gonna make any money if that's the case.

The reviews have been awful and the box office has not been good. The trailer looks really beautiful, so I have to say Verbinski and DP Bojan Bazelli know how to make great-looking images. But, if audiences don't like the story or characters... :thumbsdow

showtaper likes this.
  18. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I don't feel that well. It can't cure me of something I can't do better myself. I'll pass on it. :)

19. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Had no idea this was a Gore Verbinski movie!!
    It's an odd coinky-dink, considering the 're-boot' of his "The Ring" seems to be doing better that this is!!

Vidiot likes this.
  20. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I bet the storyboards/concept art looked great, but no one apparently bothered to read the script before green lighting it.

Vidiot likes this.
  21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think Life was even closer to It: The Terror from Beyond Space than Alien was.

Solaris likes this.
  22. drmark7

drmark7 Forum Resident

I don't know what people are looking for anymore. This didn't last 2 full weeks in my local cinema. There were about 5 others in the theater when I saw it. A CURE FOR WELLNESS was the best film I've seen in a theater in YEARS! The photography was stunning. Giving it a curve... Yes it was a bit long. (What modern movie isn't these days!?) And the ending was indeed a bit over the top. But I was entertained from beginning to end. Not bored for a minute. The end reminded me of an old Roger Corman, Vincent Price film. And just 3 months later- it's out on DVD. I hope someone reading this checks it out. You won't be sorry.

nightstand68 likes this.
  23. nightstand68

nightstand68 Forum Resident

I liked it. It was a bit bloated but the visuals and atmosphere made up the difference. I'd see it again but that's me. Different strokes for different folks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.