A Date With the Everly Brothers in MONO

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dgsinner, Oct 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member Thread Starter

I have a Warner Brothers gold label issue of A Date With the Everly Brothers in STEREO -- I think it sounds fantastic.

But, I just picked up what looks like a still sealed copy of this lp on the WBs gray label in MONO. What can I expect with this mix? Do those of you who've heard both prefer it?

Also, how'd I do on this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4779897767&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

Seems like this should have commanded more money. Maybe no one is interested in such old acts anymore...good for those of us who are. :D

Dale

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Any Bill Porter recording in mono is a fold-down of the stereo version. But, before you dump it, note that Porter monitored in mono so the balance is what he wanted.

3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

I like the punch of the Everly and Orbison mono's, wouldn't trade 'em for anything...:) But then I collected mono and stereo editions by habit, so you know....

:ed:

4. dgsinner

So I guess it should be identical to the stereo, just in mono. I'm fine with that as a back-up in any case...

Dale

5. Steve Hoffman

No Dale, in mono the vocals will be louder and the music (besides the drums) will be down about 3db from the stereo.

6. dgsinner

That's right...I've seen you and others mention that figure before. Hmm...other mono fold-downs have been hit or miss in my experience. I have a mono fold down of the Byrds "Dr Byrds and Mr. Hyde" from the UK and it stinks -- the vocals are far too loud for the instrumental track. But, my Left Banke "Walk Away Renee" mono lp (which you and some others said was a fold-down) isn't too bad -- maybe because the original stereo mix had the vocals mixed lower than usual. Other late Byrds monos (pre-Dr Byrds) like "Notorious Byrd Brothers" sound like dedicated mono mixes to me -- the balance between vocals and instruments sounds right.

I'm a listener so it's gonna be real hard to resist opening the sucker and giving it at least one listen. But I already have a pristine stereo copy... :sigh:

So there should really be no point in breaking the seal, right? I should just keep it for a decade or so and ...?

Dale

7. Steve Hoffman

Remember, Bill Porter balanced the vocals/music while listening in MONO. You could just combine the channels of your stereo version and pray that the tape machine in mastering was aligned correctly or play the mono LP.

In other words: Bill Porter told me that the STEREO MIXES OF ALL HIS RCA-Victor RECORDINGS HAVE THE VOCAL A BIT TOO LOW. So the mono would be the way to go to hear what he wanted you to hear...

See?

Two ways to do it as mentioned above..

8. dgsinner

Ahh, I think I get it. Thanks. Maybe that's why I've always thought the stereo version of this lp sounded so good -- I like having the instruments up in the mix (or the vocals down slightly as this case seems to be). Besides the fact this one seems to have a nice center, unlike a lot of early stereo rock lps. Too bad Jan & Dean's stereo lps didn't get mixed this way. I've played around with boosting the instrumental track on some of the J&D stereo mixes and than folding it down to mono and the results come out pretty good sometimes.

I'm going to be tempted to listen to this mono lp in any case...

Thanks again,
    Dale

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.