A Day Without Tivo is Like a Day Without Sunshine

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Jun 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff Thread Starter

My DirecTV with Tivo box crapped out on me yesterday. I was lost. I had to watch the NBA Finals Game 4 in real time including all of the commercials and inane halftime analysis. I started obsessively flipping channels during commercials, just like the old days, and my wife was annoyed. Our marriage will be stressed further today when she can't watch her time shifted soap opera. For the sake of our marriage, I must spend my lunch hour at Best Buy!

Okay, it's not that bad, but I did find myself compulsively reaching for the remote during every commercial break. :)

I may see if I can salvage the hard drive from the old unit if it turns out that wasn't the source of the problem.

Regards,

2. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

It is amazing how much TiVo can impact your life once you have it awhile. I have had it for 2 years, so I can understand your point. I am surprised more people don't have one, since they are so easy to use.

3. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

When watching TV in real time I'm always finding myself having these urges for rewinding/forwarding. Soon I'll be getting the locals via DirecTV so I can Tivo everything. Yes, can't imagine life without Tivo.

4. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

I have ReplayTV (same thing as Tivo). It is my precious- even though I don't watch much TV! But I could never get my Daily Show and Jeopardy! fixes everyday without it. Especially with Jeapordy!- I can't stand commercials and the banter between Trebeck and the contestants after the first commercial break. Skipping that, the intro, and the end credits allows me to watch the Q/A (the only thing I care about) in like 15 minutes.

5. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

I'd assume you're aware of the TiVo Community boards, Ken, where there's an Upgrade and Underground Forum section. Hinsdale's How To Upgrade Your TiVo sticky thread along w/ MFSTools 2 has been indispensible to me. I had a S1 SA that I use for 2 over the air local stations crash on me last Fall and I was able to copy the image to a 80G Maxtor and was able to get ~50hrs. at High video quality. Or, you could get a new one (D-TiVo, not SA) for around the same cost as a good capacity hard drive. Good luck and I feel for you in the time you have to do w/out.

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff Thread Starter

Thanks. I won't be suffering too long, though. I already replaced it at lunch today. There wasn't anything on the Tivo that would make me go to the trouble of trying to retrieve it. There were a couple of "not yet on DVD" movies, but nothing that won't air again some day. :)

I could, on the other hand, use another 40GB hard drive on my computer.

Regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.