A Fantastic Woman (Una mujer fantástica) 2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by clashcityrocker, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clashcityrocker

clashcityrocker Forum Resident Thread Starter

Knew nothing about this film until I saw the Oscar ceremony and saw Daniela Vega the film's star present an award and then the film won best foreign film. Went to see it last night and wow...what an amazing experience. It is everything why I love the cinema. I really don't want to get into specifics you can read reviews that will be way more precise and eloquent than mine. I loved everything about it, the soundtrack, the visuals, the performances, the story. Don't let the the subtitles and subject matter throw you off, the film is a triumph.

2. clashcityrocker

Sorry, she didn't present an award but introduced a song. And speaking of a song, Time by Alan Parsons Project is featured prominently in the film. So good!!

3. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

My girlfriend works for an LGBT center in Philadelphia, so we went to a free showing a couple of weeks ago. Really enjoyed the movie and surprised that the subtitles didn't bother me at all.

4. Reminds me I should see if this is still in our main art-house theater chain here in Washington DC (it was a few weeks ago, iirc). DC has a very strong GLBT community, and I'm sure attendance at this film (and others like it), will have kept it on screen(s) here for far longer than some other areas of the country.

5. clashcityrocker

My point is that you don't need to be in the LGBT community to enjoy this film. Obviously having a trans actor is a main focus (and Vega is amazing) but it's the character staying so strong and vital in the wake of the lack of understanding from the mainstream values is what makes the film. You see Marina as she is, a strong compassionate person (she is perpetually reflected in mirrors) and then you witness the ugliness and shallowness of the others judging her as some pervert. It is absolutely heartbreaking as she faces this onslaught but her perseverance and heroic stance will have you on your feet. Saying you have to LGBT to enjoy this film does it a disservice. It is similar to saying only Jewish people can watch Schindler's List. We all need to witness and feel the pain that others face to truly understand. I really can't say it enough but if you love film and this is playing go see it!!

jpelg, Rooster_Ties and rswitzer like this.
  6. townsend

townsend Senior Member

This film has been on my radar screen for a few weeks. I think it is still playing at the local art house theater (Angelika Film Center).

7. Long out of the theaters here, but I should try and remember to set up an automatic DVR search (and record) based on the title.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.