SH Spotlight A few angry (but sort of funny) notes people sent me about my mastering work, imagined defects.....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Brian Ramone

Brian Ramone Well-Known Member

I gotta say I had no idea a release could be returned just because one didn't like it...half my collection are blind buys I hate.
    Can we still do this and is there a deadline? :)

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

As someone who also works with the general public, some people are just...out there. Just no other way to put it sometimes.

3. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

During rock music albums were most often no biggie to return. Often the store clerks were audiophiles and didn't question you, because they had their share of turds too.
    I shelled out the big bucks for a copy of the half speed master of On The Threshold of a Dream. When I got it and listened to it, it had surface noise. Which was to be expected in regular vinyl purchases now and then but NOT in a $30 half speed master. I made a cassette dupe of it to listen to while it was being sent back for a good copy. I returned it, and 6 weeks later another one showed up in the mail.
    After around 1972 when nice stereo gear was plentiful and affordable music buyers became much more particular about their vinyl, and record stores wanted to cater to their repeat customers, so returns were pretty much on the honor system.
    I don't know what it is like now, since I don't buy new vinyl and defective CDs are quite rare.

Grant likes this.
  4. Grant

These days, there is pretty much a no-return policy at most stores I go to.

5. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

That is all the deterrent I would need. No manufacturing process or inspection process is perfect.
    If albums were now 2 bits each, then, no return big deal. But considering they are being sold now as a designer item at insane prices, it is too much of a crap shoot.

autodidact and Grant like this.
  6. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

I was going to give the same response to that guy. I've worked in retail for well over a decade (I'm still there unfortunately!) and it must be said, regardless of what you say or do, some people are just miserable, angry, barmy or the whole lot in one awful package!

Nowadays I either laugh or step back, I've learnt that some people are lost causes and my minimal wage does not cover the requirement to entertain their stupidity! :crazy:;)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  7. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

My pleasure :tiphat:

bleachershane likes this.
  8. lechiffre

lechiffre Forum Resident

I remember seeing a spot on the local news about the indestructibility of the CD. It featured a guy playing fetch with a dog, throwing a CD like a frisbee. He took the CD from the dog's teeth, showed the scratches to the camera, and played it. After viewing that I believed CDs would play perfectly even when gouged. I was surprised when I found out different.

Drifter and Jim B. like this.
  9. Oggy

Oggy Forum Resident

There was a story doing the rounds where the demonstrators were doing the jam trick on CDs at a show. The CD started jumping: from the CD player from the side of the stage, not the one he'd put the jammy disc in!

Perfect sound forever, just like my PDO Island discs I can't rip!

Oggy.

10. lechiffre

lechiffre Forum Resident

While working returns at the Electronics store where I used to work (it shall remain nameless, but the name is four letters long, Starts with an F ends with an S, and has a funny vowel), I had someone return a Johnny Cash compilation CD. He (the customer, not Johnny Cash) was shocked and insulted by the picture that faced him when he removed the CD from the tray. He (again the customer) demanded a refund, and that we (the store) lodge an official complaint with the record company on behalf of all decent Americans.
    [​IMG]

11. Oggy

Oggy Forum Resident

During my early days selling Hi-Fi, a customer bought a stylus in for inspection, my mate, top bloke, but a bit of a wide boy, said "yeah, needs replacing soon", customer replies "but I only bought it a week ago!", my mates reply:- "well, you can't expect these things to last forever!!"

Oggy.

stevef, Jrr, Six String and 1 other person like this.
  12. Oggy

Oggy Forum Resident

Bad single edits:- The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again (is there a worse one than this?)

B.O.C. - Don't Fear The Reaper

Good edit:- Status Quo - Mystery Song.

Oggy.

13. One album I would be tempted to return due to the re-mastering job is Mofi's release of Earth Wind & Fire's "That's the way of the world"

14. Grant

I'm surprised he wasn't upset that the artist he likes was the one flipping the birdie. I've heard that Fry's Electronics is a crazy place to work for. I totally understand why their returns department investigates every return first.

sbsugar likes this.
  15. Grant

I got rid of mine. It isn't bad, but they tweaked the treble. It's fine if you like that sort of thing.

16. Brian Ramone

Brian Ramone Well-Known Member

The Coop's Mascara And Monsters (I think that's what its called) has the best part of Hello Hooray cut-off...the end.

17. lechiffre

lechiffre Forum Resident

That's what had him shocked and insulted and otherwise generally offended.

On a side note you would not believe what people tried to return.

Old broken or outdated electronics placed in the box of the box of the new ones they bought yesterday.

Counterfeit Beats headphones in a real (or not) box, was a popular switcheroo (I swear thats how you sold them to me).

Who said anything about F**'S ? that's pure speculation.

18. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

You're clearly going to the wrong stores. Our little CD store was reasonable on returns but we didn't let customers outright scam us. (Clearly someone who returned a CD or record a month after the fact, beat to hell, because it "wasn't the right version" was trying to take advantage of the policy.)

No more. The new corporate management is now telling us to accept 100% returns, no matter what condition, no questions asked. If we know someone is scamming us, we can alert the corporate office... AFTER we refund the scam artist's entire purchase in store.

On one hand, it makes my life easier handling returns... And it's not like MY bottom line is being affected. Terrible way to run a business though. But great time to be a music customer!

19. Grant

I can believe it. Anyone who has worked in retail can believe it.

;)

20. Oggy

Oggy Forum Resident

I don't know that song, editing sounds unsubtle though!

21. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Anyone else? I love stuff like this..

22. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Remember I told ya about those dudes who said your copy of that album didn't sound good, remember buddy??

23. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I'm sure it was my inferior equipment masking these issues back then, but the cd reissues (not remastered) of ELO's ¨Greatest Hits¨and Jethro Tull's ¨Warchild¨ sound the opposite I remember. Had them on 8-track (played throughmy rig with a Grundig deck) and they sounded not good but warm and dynamic. My current CDs of the same titles are flat, harsh and abrasive. Anyone with the same experience ?

24. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I have, many times over. Not popular in audiophile circles to be sure, but 8 track tapes when done right had a warm and dynamic sound only marred by the noise at slower speed and the head gap which cut really high end treble. To me they had a more involving sound than many of their cd counterparts, but it runs both ways, and many 8-tracks had terrible mastering or dupe speed which on some dearly loved albums, cut their high end almost entirely.

The Pinhead likes this.
  25. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Once, I had expressed interest to a gentleman who cut records quite a while back and we got to talking.

"Oh, crap - man-- what I would give to have a copy of that these days, but it's gone. My ship arrived late." so to speak.

He kindly replied, "Not completely. Want what's in the return bin? Cover isn't perfect, but at least you'll have something before you get the real deal."

Well, I flipped right out like a seven year old at a pizza party. But I went back home and didn't think anything of it, because intentions are good and fleeting even at your best luck sometimes. I must have sent him a dozen or so CDRs of stuff that was hard to find, but vinyl was a different ball. So I left my expectations at the front door.

So I get TWO copies because he felt so bad about the cover(s), and how vinyl guys are (ask Mikey how bad they are) and my jaw dropped. I felt like the chubby lady at the door with the big Publishers Clearinghouse check.

So for the people in the back waiting to hate on the funny looking grail cup and walk away, even Indiana Jones knew, you just have to wait!