A Few of My Favorite Things, Volume 36

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tim_neely, Jun 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

As some of you know, I've undertaken a CD-R project on which I plan to collect semi-random sets of my favorite songs of all time (well, at least since World War II, though I reserve the right to do some older stuff if I feel like it).

After several months of inactivity in this regard, I finally did the latest collection, which is Volume 36. And there's still no end in sight, as my list of uncompiled songs still numbers in the hundreds.

The only two rules that apply to these CDs are:
    -- No more than one song by any one artist, though solo records by members of a group otherwise on the CD are allowed.
    -- The CD must be at least 79 minutes long.

I try to start and end with songs that feel appropriate, but otherwise, anything goes.

That said, here's Volume 36 of my ongoing series, which covers a span of 52 years of music!

1. "Here Comes the Sun" – The Beatles
    2. "Criminal” – Fiona Apple
    3. "Born to Be Alive” – Patrick Hernandez
    4. "Riders in the Sky (A Cowboy Legend)” – Vaughn Monroe *
    5. "Durham Town (The Leavin’)” – Roger Whittaker
    6. "Push It” – Salt-N-Pepa
    7. "Don’t Go Out Into the Rain (You’re Going to Melt)” – Herman’s Hermits
    8. "I Drove All Night” – Roy Orbison
    9. "My Best Friend” – Jefferson Airplane
    10. "Poor Little Fool” – Ricky Nelson *
    11. "Jamming” – Bob Marley and the Wailers
    12. "When She Cries” – Restless Heart
    13. "Two of Hearts” – Stacey Q
    14. "Will You Be Staying After Sunday” – The Peppermint Rainbow
    15. "Justified and Ancient (Stand By the Jams)” – The KLF
    16. "This Is Where I Came In” – Bee Gees
    17. "Touch Me” – The Doors
    18. "Lake Shore Drive” – Aliotta-Haynes-Jeremiah
    19. "Tubthumping” – Chumbawamba
    20. "Lodi” – Creedence Clearwater Revival
    21. "I’m Gonna Be Strong” – Gene Pitney
    22. "Goodbye” – Mary Hopkin

Total Time 79:48

* Mono (all others stereo)

15 of the 22 songs were dubbed from vinyl, which I think is a record for a single CD-R in this series.
    1, 4, 11, 16, 18, 20, 21 are from CDs
    2, 6, 8, 12, 13, 15, 17, 19, 22 are from 45s
    3, 5, 7, 9, 10, 14 are from LPs

2. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Tim,

A nice series! An eclectic track selection mix for sure with Patrick Hernandez followed by Vaughn Monroe, as an example. I never do this but I commend you for being able to enjoy a comp. presented in such a manner!

Enjoy!

Bob:D

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Nice collection!

Personally, I like to select a period or year in time. I do mix genres if they all fall within a specific time frame.

4. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Nice job, Tim!

But if I tried that, I'd feeling like I was spinning in a mutant time warp.
    I tend to listen to music in periods, not all over the map like that. But it is a unique approach. I'm only surprised you used so much vinyl, since quite a few of those are available on CD, though not all in their 45 form.

Cool!:)

ED:cool:

5. tim_neely

Bob,

I think it reflects that I grew up with old-fashioned Top 40 radio and still like that sense of surprise that comes with an unexpected segue.

The only radio station around here that is reminiscent of those days is one that plays nothing but 70s music (give or take a year or two; it's more like 1969-1981). You never know what will pop up next on that station.

6. Bob Lovely

Tim,

I see your thinking here! I tend to record a wide variety of tracks within a certain time period

Here is an example:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oldies In HiFi Vol. # 4 (all tracks MONO unless otherwise indicated)

1. Barbara - Temptations (Stereo) 1960
    2. Step By Step - Crests (Stereo) 1960
    3. School Is Out - Gary U.S. Bonds (Stereo) 1961
    4. South Street - Orlons 1963
    5. I Believe What You Say - Rick Nelson 1958
    6. Tell Him - Exciters (Stereo) 1962
    7. Buzz, Buzz, Buzz - Hollywood Flames 1957
    8. He's So Fine - Chiffons 1963
    9. Oh! Little One - Jack Scott (Stereo) 1960
    10. Manhattan Spiritual - Reg Owen Orchestra 1958
    11. Hard Headed Woman - Elvis Presley 1958
    12. I Can't Stay Mad At You - Skeeter Davis (Stereo) 1963
    13. Little By Little - Nappy Brown 1957
    14. Pop Pop Pop Pie - Sherrys 1962
    15. So Much In Love - Tymes 1963
    16. The Fool - Sanford Clark 1956
    17. The Wah-Watusi - Orlons 1962
    18. What's A Matter Baby (Is It Hurting You) - Timi Yuro (Stereo) 1962
    19. Just A Little Too Much - Rick Nelson 1959
    20. Rinky Dink - Dave "Baby" Cortez 1962
    21. Dear Lady Twist - Gary U.S. Bonds (Stereo) 1961
    22. Patty Baby - Freddy Cannon 1963
    23. Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow - Rivingtons (Stereo) 1962
    24. You're No Good - Betty Everett (Stereo) 1963
    25. Tell Me Why - Belmonts (Stereo) 1961
    26. I'll Be Satisfied - Jackie Wilson (Stereo) 1959
    27. Teach Me Tiger - April Stevens 1959
    28. Don't Say Nothing Bad (About My Baby) - Cookies 1963
    29. Patsy - Jack Scott (Stereo) 1960
    30. This I Swear - Skyliners 1959
    31. "7-11" (Mambo # 5) - Gone All-Stars f/ Buddy Lucas 1958

#
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bob:)

7. Grant

:thumbsup: I also miss the diversity of hit radio.

There are virtually NO stations around here that plays much 70s anymore outside of Fleetwood Mac anymore. To think that all the younger generations will know about the 70s is Fleetwod mac and a couple of disco songs that aren't even disco.

There are no longer any stations that play consistiently classic R&B/soul in Arizona anymore.

8. Grant

Yes, this makes sense. But notice your list stays around 1956-1963. right before the British invasion. And, your CD ignores early British "advisors" like The Tornadoes and the Dave Clark Five. You seem to have been going for s certain "atmosphere".

9. tim_neely

In most cases, I went with what I had that I felt was best.

Part of the fun of this project is pulling out the 45s and LPs and realizing that, after a good, thorough cleaning, they still sound good after all these years. Also, most of them are in pretty fine shape for a collection that, until the late 1980s, mostly came from yard sales and flea markets unless it was a then-current 45.

I don't have a Rick Nelson comp on CD, believe it or not. I went with the Time-Life Rick Nelson: 1957-1972 volume of "The Rock 'n' Roll Era," the first 40 volumes of which I have on vinyl, including two with two different covers.

"My Best Friend" by the Airplane came from my DCC vinyl of Surrealistic Pillow, another LP I don't have on CD at this time. Didya know that it was actually the first single released from that album??

I've never trusted Roger Whittaker CD comps to have the correct versions, as he re-recorded some of his most popular songs more than once, so I went with an LP that I knew had the correct version: The Last Farewell and Other Hits from 1975.

I went with the LP-length version of "Born to Be Alive," all 7-plus minutes of it, from the original LP. I find that for most of the disco-style songs I like, I like more of them than the 45 can provide!

The Peppermint Rainbow track also came from the original LP, but that one was tricky, because it has a slow coda tacked on that serves as a segue to the next song. I decided I didn't like it, so I faded the song where the main part ended, to match the single version.

"Don't Go Out Into the Rain" came from a near-mint copy of the LP Blaze, in true stereo. Well, at least the string section is in stereo.

Most of the 1990s songs I have only on 45s; it's still my first choice. If it doesn't come out on 45, my next choice is a promo CD single.

10. Bob Lovely

Grant,

I was replicating Top 40 Radio from a late 50's - early 60's perspective - pre-'64 and pre-DC5, of course!

Bob:)

11. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

"My Best Friend" Bubbled Under in Billboard, in fact, as did the Doors' "Break On Through," also a forgotten 45, since the next hit was The BIG One. And I'm also surprised how many 'diehard' Moodies fans don't realize "Nights In White Satin" charted in 1968 first, and that two different mixes were issued when it was reissued in 1972.

45 collecting is always fun!:)

ED:cool:

12. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I have this comp on CD and "The Best of Roger Whittaker" on LP.

13. Rafter242

Rafter242 Active Member

I don't know why, but I was pleasantly surprised by Tim Neely's open mind to music from different genres and eras.

Go Tim. .:D

Mark P.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.