A few questions about 'Bonanza', please...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Hawkman, Mar 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

I followed a link from some posting that mentioned that the first color TV in 1954 cost $1000. I'm guessing the 2011 eqivalent could be $15,000 or more. You could buy a new car back then for about a $1000.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

My family as well. We didn't get a color TV until 1972; my father was one of those guys who kept "waiting for them to perfect it." Heck, we didn't have stereo speakers until about 1969.

The transition to B&W was actually even longer than that. There were local stations still doing B&W local news or combinations of color and B&W programming as late as 1968-1969.

Here's a great copy of the CBS logo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq0mUCFlizg

ABC hooked the "In Color" tag to their opening show banners, which was famously parodied in the Police Squad show in 1982.

3. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff Thread Starter

I know that version of A Christmas Carol and I agree with you. Christmas At The Ponderosa WOULD have made an excellent animated special.

The Bear Family Box isn't here yet. i look forward to both the Ponderosa Party Time album and the Christmas album. From the bits and pieces that I've heard as samples, it kinda makes me just wanna hang out with the Cartwrights. :D

4. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Actually new cars were more like $2000 for a basic Ford or Chevy back in the early 50s. A Buick would be $3000+ But you're right, $1000 for a TV was a lot of money back then. It would be about the same as paying $8000 today...

http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

5. Marty Milton

Thanks for the info and the link. That is what I was trying to find. I was only 5 in 1954, so I had no memory of prices of things back then. I knew that $1000 for a TV was an exobanate amount of money.

6. Hawkman

Okay...so should I even TRY to get this thread back on topic or should I just let it continue to slide into what stuff cost back in the late 50's? :laugh:

fr in sc likes this.
  7. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Are you referring to the show with the opening whose first words are "Space . . . the final frontier"? ;) :winkgrin:

8. W.B.

Well . . . like, how many CBS shows scheduled for Sunday evenings at the 9-to-10 time period (NYT) between 1961 and early 1967 all withered and died because of the Bonanza juggernaut. Including the likes of Judy Garland and an early Shatner series.

9. Steve D.

Steve D. Forum Resident

Benno 123,

I know we have drifted off topic here, but I viewed that 1954 Burns & Allen color show several months ago at UCLA. Sony Pictures film restoration held a screening of several restored early color TV shows, including B&A and a 1954 NBC color kinescope of the Eddie Fisher Coke Time show and a 1954 color Kine of a Dinah Shore show. You can PM me for a list of some CBS color telecasts prior to the Burns & Allen broadcasts.

-Steve D.

10. Marty Milton

Sorry about that. I was really fascinated about how expensive a TV was in the early 50s. To get it back on track, Bonanza was so much more than a Western. It was a family drama that happened to be set in the 1800's west.

11. Hawkman

:D

Weren't The Monkees up against Bonanza?

I went out last night and got the first season. I had the second season and decided to curtail watching that and start right from episode one. It's just GREAT television, great writing, great stories.

12. W.B.

Sorry . . . when The Monkees were originally on, they were network-mates of the Cartwright clan.

13. Hawkman

Ah. That's right. Shame on me for not remembering that! :)

So...anyone have any answers or opinions to the questions that I posted in my original post? :)

Anything that will increase my education of Bonanza is more than welcome. Even trivia. :)

14. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

And they were on a weeknight.

15. W.B.

So was Bonanza, in its final half-season (1972-73) following Dan Blocker's death.

16. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

But that's half a decade after "The Monkees" was cancelled.

17. lechiffre

lechiffre Forum Resident

Are you thinking of he best western tv show of all time "Cimarron Strip",staring Stuart Whitman and featuring a character named "dulcey" ?

18. lechiffre

lechiffre Forum Resident

in my opinion the best season of bonanza is the first one.

19. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Ah, thanks. Stuart Whitman and that cute English bird. Totally forgotten but great color western show.

20. Hawkman

I'm actually watching that right now. I STARTED watching the first volume of Season Two and figured that I may as well start right at the beginning and went out and got both volumes of Season One.

Funny thing is that I always had a problem with first seasons. They never seem to hit their stride until a season or two later. It seems, from what I've seen so far, that Bonanza hit the ground running. The first season is great so far! Great writing!

21. W.B.

Where it "didn't hit its stride" in its first two seasons was ratings. It didn't become a ratings . . . er, bonanza (sorry about that) until Dinah Shore ended her association with Chevrolet in 1961 and her variety show moved to another night. (I think in its first two years on the air, Bonanza was on Saturdays - and was struggling to find an audience.)

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Many years ago, I transferred the clip below, which was RCA's December 1953 announcement on the introduction of compatible color:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojJCJIaDp9Q

This announcement says that color TVs will cost "as low as $239.95" (2:38 into the clip), which is about $1900 today. I wouldn't be surprised if a bigger TV was several times more expensive, but not $1000.

23. Hawkman

I'm glad that NBC hung in there and gave it a chance to find it's audience. Nowadays if a show doesn't perform right away, it's gone.

24. W.B.

Given that they owned the show, it's no wonder they "hung in there."

25. Hawkman

I watched the first season episode called 'The Newcomers' two nights ago and I am surprised that, for 1959, the message was very pro-environment!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.