A few questions for Beatles CD fans.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave112, Jul 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

How big is that thing? Is it bigger than itself?

/rimshot

O Don Piano and Dave112 like this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Use your loaf.

Dave112 likes this.
  3. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks Alexpop. If I'm thinking of the right set, it had the 1987 issues in it (I remember seeing them but I could only afford to buy the CDs one at a time over a couple of years). I have most of those. They replaced my well used hodgepodge collection of compilation cassette tapes. I was darn glad to have them at the time but I really want to update my collection.

alexpop likes this.
  4. alexpop

It was a bit of a household statement 20 years ago, show piece. If you get it new /cheap don't see why not. Jewel cases were a lot more robust than the 2009 digipacks( sonics aside ).

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    Dave112 likes this.
  5. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

The '87 Pepper and Abbey Road and
    30th Anniversary White Album are all good choices.

The 2009 Abbey Road is too scrubbed for me, and the removal of Lennon's toggle switch change on She's So Heavy is a deal breaker for me.

I have the Toshiba Abbey Road CD but I wouldn't tell you to track it down unless you had surplus cash. I've had 3 copies over the years ranging from $12o and up. From a collector standpoint it's nice, but think of how many great sounding CDs you could get for the price of one Abbey Road.

Mr. Explorer, shaboo and Dave112 like this.
  6. alexpop

If I seen the breadbox ( fresh /new), I'd snap it up (price permitting).

Dave112 likes this.
  7. Granadaland

Granadaland Forum Resident

The Beatles in mono set is a pleasure to own.
    Thats all I can say.

8. alexpop

If I had the bread I'd get the 1980's mono vinyl box.

9. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I hope this isn't getting into forbidden territory, but I only have Y&T with the true stereo Revolver tracks on the "Capitol Versions" burlap CD. "I'm Only Sleeping" is definitely a unique mix and different enough to be essential for me. But it seems to play "too fast" on that CD (as well as being lower in volume compared to other CDs but maybe that's how it's supposed to sound given when it came out). I have a couple other versions of the album but they have the fake stereo tracks.

Yesterday And Today is available as a stand-alone CD. It has the original 1965 stereo mix of "Day Tripper." (The only official CD source.) The stereo versions of the songs from Help and Rubber Soul are 1987 remixes -- what you need for those are the original stereo mixes, which were accidentally released on one pressing of those two CDs in Canada, and later included in the mono box set, which is easier to find. Maybe someone on eBaY might have them separately, I haven't checked. Any release of Revolver should be fine as the eleven songs on the U.S. version only have one mono and one stereo mix, aside from remixes on things like Yellow Submarine Songtrack and 1 Plus. The U.S. and UK mono and stereo mixes (aside from the three on Y&T) are the same.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    Dave112 likes this.
  10. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

I have this as well. IMO, it's miles better than the official release with the botched mixes. It is incredibly well done for a bootleg, right down to the printing details and inserts. The booklet must be sourced from an official release, it's that good. Although it comes with a Japanese obi and lyric sheet, I was always under the impression it was made in Russia. In any case, it's always available on the 'Bay for between $10-$15.

Dave112 and Shaker Steve like this.
  11. Dave112

Thanks Well Respected!
    I took your advice and found a copy of Y&T 45th anniversary CD on that auction site ( yeah you know that one) and it finishes out my US Capitol versions on CD nicely. It has the album in mono and stereo and has bonus songs for a total of 32 tracks. I really enjoyed the outtakes. Now I'm on to acquiring the UK stereo and mono 2009 CD sets. Thanks again for the heads up!

A well respected man likes this.
  12. MelodyFair

MelodyFair West Coast Suburban Hausfrau

The Mono CD set is made in Japan, and you will get the best produced discs, and the best produced mini-LPs. The booklet is really nice as well. I'd say, get the Mono set and augment is as you go along with the Stereo copies, Anthology, BBC and '87's however you like.

Dave112 likes this.
  13. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Glad to help :righton:

Regards

Dave112 likes this.
  14. Dave112

Thanks Melody Fair. I have the '87 versions already. Last year I finally filled out my Elvis Presley CD collection after many years and now I'm working on my Beatles CD collection. I've heard very good things about the mono UK version albums. Are all of the mono sets from Japan or are you recommending the Japanese CDs? It may take a while to build ( I'm building as my finances allow) but I want a very complete collection of The Beatles CDs.

15. MelodyFair

MelodyFair West Coast Suburban Hausfrau

Unless it's changed, the Beatles Mono Box, regardless of where you purchase it should have discs made in Japan. You don't need to order a specific Japanese made Box set. Have fun collecting! Maybe put a want ad on the buy and sell for a sealed Beatles mono box, a lot of people seem to have them either unopened or lightly used. Be careful buying them from the internet as there are a lot of fakes.

Dave112 likes this.
  16. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

An easy option for a newbie. :D

The Beatles (The Original Studio Recordings) Stereo Box Set Box set, Original recording remastered

1. [​IMG]
    2. [​IMG]
    3. [​IMG]
    4. [​IMG]
    5. [​IMG]

fogalu and Dave112 like this.
  17. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

:laughup: :crazy:

Dave112 likes this.
  18. Psychedelic Good Trip

The Beatles in Mono (The Complete Mono Recordings) Box set, Limited Edition, Original recording remastered

1. [​IMG]
    2. [​IMG]
    3. [​IMG]
    4. [​IMG][​IMG]

• Love the Mono box.

fogalu, Adam9 and Dave112 like this.
  19. Dave112

Thanks Psychedelic Good Trip. That's definitely on my wish list!

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  20. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

I've since started enjoying the mono set. I realized that I needed to turn the volume up a bit because the songs don't sound great to me on lower volume. I need to listen to them quite loud to appreciate them if that makes sense. Whereas the stereo cds are already loud and you don't have to turn up the volume much.

Dave112 likes this.
  21. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

It's called "compression". And the monos don't sound muddy at all.

bherbert and Dave112 like this.
  22. Psychedelic Good Trip

Can't go wrong with either. Love Beatles muddy mono, for me it's the best way to hear them. Although the stereo sounds great to.

Dave112 likes this.
  23. Psychedelic Good Trip

Dave112 likes this.
  24. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I would get this and an '87 or 30th anniversary White Album, 2009 Abbey Road and Past Masters, and an '87 Let it Be. You could get the '87 Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour CDs later if you're interested the stereo mixes of these.

25. Psychedelic Good Trip

The Beatles
    The Beatles The Capitol Albums Vol. 1Box set

1. [​IMG]
    2. [​IMG]
    3. [​IMG]
    4. [​IMG]

The Beatles
    The Capitol Albums Vol. 2 (Longbox)Box set, Limited Edition, Original recording remastered

1. [​IMG]

Dave112 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.