A few questions for Beatles CD fans.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave112, Jul 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have those Psychedelic Good Trip. I bought those a couple of months ago and I love them. Some people put them down but they sound like I remember the Beatles when I was a kid playing my parent's 8 tracks to death in the 1970's.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  2. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Is there any benefit in getting this if I already have the mono and stereo remasters cd box sets?

Dave112 likes this.
  3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

4. Daily Nightly

Daily Nightly Well-Known Member

/\if you want THANK YOU GIRL in stereo and with the extra harmonica part.

Dave112 likes this.
  5. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

On Past Masters.

Dave112 likes this.
  6. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Which is precisely what is wrong with most mastering in the last decade or so.
    This is what this forum is trying hard to discourage.

7. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Exactly

Dave112 likes this.
  8. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

For the UK albums, I'd go for the mono box set for the mono versions (which also includes the original stereo mixes of Help and Rubber Soul) and the 1987 CDs for the stereo versions from Revolver and forward. All those are true to the originals and are the most genuine sounding - the 2009 stereo remasters are boosted, cleaned up and a bit brick walled, don't like them - but the early ones are better in mono anyway, so never mind them. The US editions I don't know of, I don't care much about them.

Dave112 likes this.
  9. Awesome Connor

Awesome Connor New Member

I have the 1987 Cds, except With the Beatles which is from 09, and they all sound great

Dan The Man1, Dave112 and GerryO like this.
  10. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

The man can carefully parse words but delivers those powerfully

Thank you sir for the great music.

Dave112 likes this.
  11. Dave112

I now have all of the 1987 CDs Awesome Connor. I think they sound fine but I have heard some of the newer 2009 CDs and I really want to get those as well. I'm usually not so obsessive about artists' catalogs but with The Beatles and Elvis Presley, I find that I have several sets of the same material but I like the different versions, mixes and masters. I know the purists love the "correct" versions but I have a weak spot for the Beatles U.S. Capitol albums as that is what I grew up listening to as well as the Elvis "Reprocessed Stereo" albums that the purists hate. Thanks to everyone that has posted so far. I'm well on my way to building my dream collection of Beatles on CD with various versions. I only have one other thing that I want besides the Mono and Stereo boxes. That is the complete Dr. Ebbetts needle drops of U.K. and U.S. records. The files that I've heard sound great. Is there anywhere to get them all in one clip? I know there are Beatles fans out there that know where to find them all. If I could find those preferably in FLAC, it would be a wonderful reference for the stereo and mono boxes that I'm working at getting.

MarkTheShark likes this.
  12. originalsnuffy

I think the need for Dr. Ebbetts was diminished by the 2009 remasters. Having said that, I think that stuff still floats on usenet.

While I have accumulated lots of stuff like Ebbetts over the years, between Anthology, Love, 2009 remixes, Beatles One, and Sgt. Peppers we are being treated much more kindly by Apple. I play the official stuff almost 100% now. Shelling out cash for official product feels just about right to me. Somehow I remain willing to spent cash on Beatles stuff. OK I am pandering to Apple for them to keep it up, I admit it.

Dave112 likes this.
  13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Best cd of Sgt Pepper?
    Looks to be 1987 is the clear winner.
    Nice jewel case,slip cover , book.

Dave112 and Lownote30 like this.
  14. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Really? There are not many fans of the first four in that batch. IIRC, they used a stereo machine to transfer the mono tapes. They never sounded too good to me.

I would say the 87 Pepper, White Album and Abbey Road are the ones to have. MMT and LIB are very good too, but it's a closer call with the remasters.

15. Dave112

Hello originalsnuffy. I have several versions of official Beatles product so I don't feel bad at all about having the Dr. Ebbetts stuff. By the time I get everything else on my wish list, I'll have a heaping lot of redundant official Beatles material. I like the Dr. Ebbetts discs that I have heard and I would never be able to rip a vinyl album to the quality of his work. Besides, it's still the reference standard to all of the new official EMI remasters.

john lennonist and ohnothimagen like this.
  16. FarcicalEpiphany

FarcicalEpiphany Forum Resident

I have both 2009 boxes. I’m slightly tempted to go back and pick up 1987 copies of Abbey Road, Let It Be and Past Masters 2 just because I think those tracks might sound more natural in playlists alongside tracks from the mono box than their 2009 counterparts.

Dave112 likes this.
  17. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

I woudl suggest that you hunt up a Beatles Singles Box Set, A Beatles EP box set, and the Summer of Love CDs (3 CD set)

Dave112 likes this.
  18. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

:confused: what's that then?

19. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

20. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

21. Dave112

Thanks white wolf! I'll check them out.

22. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

'no' is a viable, but somewhat flip answer. I'm suggesting that if you have the funds and the desire to hear the Beatles as you did growing up in the U.S. market, then you may quite enjoy both of the Capitol Vol 1 & 2 releases. They are the closest to what you remember, but now on cd !

Dave112 likes this.
  23. Awesome Connor

Awesome Connor New Member

I haven't really gotten a listen to the remastered so maybe that's why, but I like them

Dan The Man1 and Dave112 like this.
  24. Dave112

Hi boggs. I do have those and I'm very happy with them. I have also heard some of Dr Ebbetts' rips of the US albums and they also have that nostalgic sound. I like the UK mixes as well. I'm finding that I prefer the US mixes at regular to lower volumes and the UK mixes are best at higher volumes due to clarity. Just my two cents.

boggs likes this.
  25. originalsnuffy

The US mixes have a fairly heavy dollop of EQ. They are not my cup of tea every since I bought a great box set of the UK mixes in the 70' s (the famous blue box).

Dave112 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.