A friend made me sit down and watch Galaxy Quest. What a funny movie!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jkauff, May 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member Thread Starter

For those not familiar with the film (like me), this is a spoof of Star Trek culture, both cast and fans. Comic Tim Allen stars, but he generally plays the straight man to the other cast members. Alan Rickman and Sigourney Weaver are both hilarious. Tony Shaloub also has a wonderful part and performance.

I had never heard of the movie, but my friends have all watched it multiple times. Anyone else here in the Galaxy Quest Appreciation Society?

2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

The wife and I went to the movies to see it....
    Like "The Incredibles", it's pretty much the 'blue-print' on 21st Century sci-fi/super-hero movies...
    Perfect mix of comedy & action.
    Also... Sam Rockwell, as the 'not famous' crew member....... funny!
    The house is right here with ya', as far as loving "Galaxy Quest"!

3. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

I've always thought it was very well made and hilarious in many spots, especially when Tony
    Shaloub arrives at the ship after being transported from earth and says "That was a
    helluva thing..."
    But generally, I think most men enjoy it for Weaver's ever diminishing costume.......
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2015
    Comet01, Linger63, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  4. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member Thread Starter

Her T-shirt in Alien was actually more revealing, but it's a great running gag, especially when other members of the crew sneak a peek down the front of her uniform.

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Normally I prefer brunettes to blondes, but old Sigourney looked pretty damned good as a blonde! :)

Linger63, Remurmur and erniebert like this.
  6. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

well conceived and executed - very enjoyable

Comet01 likes this.
  7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

A classic. One of my favorite comedies of all time.

8. Charles Buxton

Charles Buxton Forum Resident

BEST STAR TREK MOVIE EVER!!!

Vidiot, sunspot42, keef00 and 6 others like this.
  9. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

I see you managed to get your shirt off.

jerol

warp2600 likes this.
  10. vince

OH!
    Let's not forget the very young Justin Long!
    Who's character reminds me of that kid from that "Trekies" documentary!

Jarleboy likes this.
  11. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

12. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

"By Grabthar's hammer, what a deal..." ha!

chrischerm, Vidiot and Ghostworld like this.
  13. Raf

Raf Senior Member

One detail I always remember is Tony Shalhoub stepping out of the transporter and yawning, like a lot of people do when they get off a plane.

14. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

I'm friends with the Producer - it was NOT a good first draft (it was a spec), but he realized there WAS a movie in there... developed it and I remember visiting set in... '99?

Turned out great - glad they are going with a TV show... he's already spun-off Better Call Saul and I think that's going into Season 2...

Jeff

Jarleboy, Raylinds and kwadguy like this.
  15. Third Walt

Third Walt Forum Resident

I don't have this on disk, but did see it in a theater. I wish they could duplicate the changing aspect ratio of the movie, but I guess they'd have to show the first part in a 16x9 window within a 2.40:1 window, which would be fine with me, but I understand why it isn't this way on home video. That was a great effect in the theater when Tim Allen
    sees for the first time that he really is in space and the screen expands from 1.85:1 to 2.40:1.

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Not sure the changing aspect ratios deserves a spoiler - especially not for a more than 15-year-old movie! :)

17. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I thought Alan Rickman'a character was a nod to Robert Reed from the Brady Bunch (former "serious" actor complaining about his fate on a not-so-serious albeit very successful TV show).

...and Sigourney looks good in any hair colour.

18. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

Enjoy this movie every time I watch it. :-popcorn:

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

it is a fabulous movie that I revisit often!

Comet01 likes this.
  20. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Somehow we ended up with two copies of this on DVD its that good.

I also saw it at the cinema.

"This ship is really badly designed!" or words to that effect.

21. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Love it!

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Fantastic movie. I watched it again a couple of years ago and it was the highlight of a pretty horrible day. The best moment in the entire film is when Alan Rickman has to say "by Grabthar's hammer, by the suns of Warvan, you shall be avenged!"... only this time, he does it with very real emotion at the side of a dying alien, who believes Alan's a hero. It's a real standout moment -- and I'm a big fan of movies that seem to be comedies, then veer suddenly into tragedy, if only for a moment.

I'm curious what Bill Shatner thinks of the film, since it's a total send-up of his obnoxious, arrogant attitude towards all the other Star Trek actors, and the fate of people who were on a cancelled sci-fi show who now have to make their livings signing autographs at fan conventions and opening shopping malls. I know that George Takei has talked about the film before and said how much he loved it, only he said the captain of that ship was a much nicer person that Shatner. :sigh:

BTW, Paramount TV is said to be developing a TV series based on Galaxy Quest. (Don't ask me how Dreamworks produced the movie and Paramount wound up with the TV show.)

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/galaxy-quest-tv-series-paramount-adaptation-1201476536/

BTW, fun fact: famous former-Ghostbuster Harold Ramis originally came up with the concept for Galaxy Quest, but quit when studio execs insisted on using Tim Allen as the Shatner-esque star, and Ramis wanted either Alec Baldwin (who would've been perfect) or Kevin Kline (who ain't exactly chopped liver), but they already had a deal in place with Allen. To me, a lot of the story has Harold Ramis' fingerprints on it, particularly when you consider he had written Groundhog Day just a few years before.

23. vince

I guess there is a 'Tim Allen-phobia' to the people who never saw this film, and would love it.
    I would suggest the movie "Big Trouble", in which he's the star, but, don't hold THAT against it!

24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Agreed, a very enjoyable movie.
    She did look rather amazing in that outfit and hairstyle. I'm reminded of Jane Fonda in Barbarella - almost identically hot. Wonder if Weaver's character was intentionally modeled on Fonda's?

Remurmur likes this.
  25. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

I think Shatner has said he thinks it's a funny movie but he can't figure out whom the Captain is supposed to be. Which is probably the best way for him to handle it.

Terrific movie but I prefer "Free Enterprise" because it has Shatner and his "Julius Caesar" rap song.

Scopitone and SandAndGlass like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.