A Ghost Story

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Nice Marmot, May 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore Thread Starter

I recently searched the movies coming out in 2017. I'm not a huge movie goer, but A Ghost Story really looks good to me.

turnersmemo likes this.
  2. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Oh man, I thought someone was going to do a GOOD version of Peter Straub's book.

Steve Simm, GodShifter and dkmonroe like this.
  3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I'm afraid I can't recommend it. If you have to read the book to understand the movie (as opposed to gleaning more detail out of the story through reading it)...then, you ain't got a movie. I kept waiting to understand many things: why the pace of the film was designed this way; why we don't get an up-front knowlege of the emotional motivations causing the characters to act as they do; why the story doesn't think we need the essential information written down in a couple of key instances in the narrative. And (avoiding giving out a spoiler), where is the understanding communicated from filmmaker to audience, that results in a big "re-set" about 3/4's into the movie.

Think of this as a Terrence Malik film without expectation of being rewarded with some overall cosmic "point".

There is a death in the film. It is hard to tell from Rooney Mara's shell-shocked laconic spirit, if she weren't already reacting from said demise before it even occurrs. We are to assume Casey Afflec is under the sheet. If you found Michael Fassbender did outstanding work in the movie Frank, where he has to convey his entire character while wearing a papier-mache head...you won't find Afflec displaying a similar feat - he is limited both by his character's "state", and a 230-thread-count "wall" between him and any possible displayable passion in the role.

Things I did like: a neighbor in similar state of, for lack of better description, "limited mobility", communicates through the window facinig his; the white-sheet motif is apparently not universal. Aside from a composer doing a composer's work onscreen, the soundtrack itself is suitably muted and not always musical.

Things we learn:
    a benign Latino family deserves rage and calamity for just trying to get through day-to-day life, but a liquor'd-up a-hole trying to impress people with his skewed knowlege of the universe apparently deserves no such animus;
    pie is delicious! ...until it isn't anymore;
    Casey Afflec may grow a beard like Sam "Iron & Wine" Beam, but musically...not "such great heights"; and,
    real life may look "realistic" on-screen, but...there's always a good reason for a little editing.

My wife, my friend and I had a good time talking about the movie outside the theater. That doesn't necessarily mean there was a good reason to have gone INTO the theater tonite...

beccabear67 likes this.
  4. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

When I saw the trailer for this, I thought to myself: I don't care how positive the reviews might be -- I'm staying away.

GodShifter likes this.
  5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

This movie includes a five and a half minute scene in which nothing happens other than we watch Rooney Mara eat pie.

"Ghost Story" is for people who think Terrence Malick is too fast-paced and frenetic...

Spitfire and wayneklein like this.
  6. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Yeah, this is a case of the trailer being better than the film. I was expecting a lot more.

Funny that a couple of people have brought up Malick. This director's previous film, Ain't Them Bodies Saints, was also very Malick-esque. They're also both Texans, so I think it's safe to say Malick is probably a favorite of this director.

7. Oatsdad

David Lowery did 2016's "Pete's Dragon", a fact that shocks me. I didn't see it, but it's hard to believe the guy who made this thing also worked for Disney - and apparently will do so again for a live-action "Peter Pan"! :eek:

I really was disappointed by "Ghost Story" - it's like a parody of a "deep art film". Five and a half minutes of Mara eating pie!!!

And why cast Casey Affleck for a role that could've been played by literally ANYONE? We barely see him as himself - 95% of the time, he's under a sheet.

Hell, I could do that - I can stand stock still under a sheet, too! I'm ready for my close-up, Mr. Demille! :D

8. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I watched this today and liked it, though it left me feeling pretty melancholy. I hadn't see anything of it before hand, so I didn't have any expectations. I did see the Malick influence as some have mentioned.

That's not ALL that happens. She then does what one would expect after shoveling nearly a full pie into their mouth. I wonder how many takes they did and if there was even acting there, or if she literally ate until she felt the need to disgorge. Given her size, I don't imagine she eats that much pie in a year, let alone five minutes.

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  9. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

According to Rooney, that was the first piece of pie she'd ever eaten... :eek:

Rooney Mara Never Tried Pie Until Last Year

10. Oatsdad

It was only one take, IIRC.

And you're right - that's not all that happens. Ghosty watches her, too - it's action-packed! :laugh:

GodShifter likes this.
  11. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

What the hell? :shock:

12. An awful pretentious art film masquerading as a "different" horror film.

13. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

It sucked

Spitfire likes this.
  14. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Wow. I honestly disagree with just about everything in this thread, I thought the film was amazing. Really emotional, spooky without relying on tiresome quiet-quiet-BANG jump scares, and although I don't know for sure whether it was Affleck under the sheet the whole time, I entirely believed that it was, and I could completely feel his pain and frustration. I thought Affleck's conversations with the other ghost were beautifully done. As for that pie scene, I thought it was one of the most heartbreaking scenes I've ever watched in a movie, I absolutely couldn't take my eyes off her. Loved it.

15. steviej

steviej Forum Resident

The movie reminded me of an art school short film, and I mean that in the most complimentary kind of way, it was just stretched out way too long. I seriously think the movie could have had the same impact as a 5-10 minute short. Just because the ghost is stuck in a never ending loop of nothing doesn't mean that I need to feel the same as a viewer.

I liked the last few minutes (in a philosophically depressing sort of way), and I guess I get what they were going for, but overall, it was one of those movies that definitely makes you think, "well that's two hours of my life that I'll never get back."

Oatsdad and Juan Matus like this.
  16. rjp

rjp Senior Member

terrible movie, really terrible.

and i like both mara and affleck.

a total waste of time.

rent something else, and definitely do not waste money to buy it. if it ever makes to the pay cable channels, DVR it, watch the first 5 minutes and then turn it off.....you will miss nothing else.

unless that pie actually intrigues you.

17. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Just saw this the other day. Hated it.

Juan Matus likes this.
  18. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Well, I saw this in the theater a few months ago and loved it. It's a small and personal film. I was really moved by it, and not at all surprised by the negative reviews of it. After I saw A Ghost Story, I followed up on the director and saw his last movie with Casey: Ain't Them Bodies Saints. I liked that even more. Casey has become one of my favorite actors, I identify with him for whatever mumbly reasons.

I knew I was in sparse territory going into the thing, having seen Manchester By The Sea like 5 times despite overwhelming disapproval by so many. A lot of raw emotion in these movies.

It was a cool idea for a movie, IMO. Pulled off well, with little fuss and a small budget.

vegafleet, Stormrider77 and jonmayo15 like this.
  19. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

There was a good short film in here somewhere, but it failed as a feature-length piece, IMO.

20. Oatsdad

Don't be ridiculous - it was only 92 minutes of your life you'll never get back! ;)

Though if you liked 28 minutes of it, then I guess you're right! :D

21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I'm curious to see this. Saw on some best film lists.

22. rjp

rjp Senior Member

don't pay any extra money for it, but i doubt it even gets to pay cable, so you might have wait til it hits the 99 cent rental bin.

you have been warned.

Ghostworld likes this.
  23. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

Interesting movie, enjoyed it in the theater, no way around it, this is the kind of movie that a lot of people will hate, just isn't going to cater to the majority's tastes. Not the type of film I'm going to be itching to rewatch anytime soon but it was worth the theater trip.

24. Jesus Jeronimo

Jesus Jeronimo Forum Resident

Seen yesterday. Thought it was heartbreaking....and GREAT.

J

Phil Tate likes this.
  25. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Apparently it was.

Jesus Jeronimo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.