A Guide to the Stones Remastered SACDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bmoura, Aug 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member Thread Starter

2. GregY

GregY New Member

Thanks! :righton:

3. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Ditto !

Mud-

4. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

>>>Muchas Gracias!!

5. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Hey, thanks. I appreciate it.

6. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Nice one

:goodie:

7. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

Great article! Already available at some Best Buys!?!?!

8. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member Thread Starter

Well, I checked the two nearby Best Buys here in Silicon Valley and neither had the Rolling Stones Remastered SACDs yet.

But other folks have told me stories of seeing and buying the new Stones SACDs in the digipaks at some of the East Coast Best Buys, so I guess it's the case.

Also, at the suggestion of a Stones fan, I redid the PDF formatted list on HFR. So the new one features the various albums with their titles in vertical text.

Cuts the print out down from 16 pages to 5. That should make the list even handier.

9. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

This is beginning to sound like one of those Internet rumors I've heard so much about....

:confused:

Mud-

10. GregY

GregY New Member

Patience is "a minor form of despair, disguised as a virtue", but it will be your best friend until Tuesday.

I checked a Best Buy out here in PA tonight and they had display tags where the remastered Hot Rocks and Metamorphisis should have been, but no CDs except for the old ones.

11. SonicZone

SonicZone Senior Member

Same here at 2 L.A. locations, but not even any old CDs.

12. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

So no stereo Cloud anywhere, and it sounds like Got Live is folded down.

Who wants to bet that ICE won't print *any* such criticism?

-D

13. ascot

ascot Senior Member

The list confirms that "Get Off of My Cloud" will only be released in the mono mix. I also noticed there's no mono mix of "Under My Thumb" listed. Unless one of those last minute "tweaks" changes things.

Oh well. I won't hold my breath, but I'm looking forward to these discs anyway.

14. ascot

ascot Senior Member

IMO, "Got Live" is such a lousy album I don't care which mix they put out.

15. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

Great information - thanks so much for the link!

Chris

16. nivek29

nivek29 New Member

the high fidelity web page won't open. can someone paste the article?

17. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

Mud,

I promise you that I bought a copy of HOT ROCKS in Atlanta -- no BS. No titles were on display, though. Only because I tried to get a raincheck was the clerk alerted to the fact that they had stock on hand. It may well be that only stores on the east coast already received their allocation.

Jay

18. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Sounds like it's worth a try, ask the clerk for a Stones title that's NOT on display and maybe he'll pull out a new one.....

19. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Many years ago I had a friend that worked at a record store, and new releases would arrive on the Thursday before the release date. Occasionally he would sneak a new title to me before the Tuesday release. I think this varied somewhat by label but I can't be certain about that. Maybe the East coast received their shipments on Thursday or Friday and the West coast will receive theirs on Sunday or Monday.

It's going to be a "Ruby Tuesday" in any event. :)

20. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Any rationale behind Honky TW not in mono anywhere?

With three appearances of the song it should have been included?

21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I wonder if Got Live is just the same mix ABKCO used for their previous CD - ie, essentially mono.

A few things I noticed:

- still no stereo 19th Nervous or Have You Seen Your Mother.
    - no stereo Play With Fire or Get Off Of My Cloud
    - nice to know Mother's Little Helper is in stereo ONE place, although I bet it is narrowed down
    - it looks like the version of I've Been Loving You Too Long without the crowd noise is stereo. Cool.
    - the long version of Everybody Needs Somebody To Love is mono. Not cool.
    - Now! has the same lineup of mono/stereo it did on the old ABKCO CD.
    - every track from the June 1964 Chess sessions is available in stereo - FINALLY.
    - odd that (apparently) Honky Tonk Women is in stereo on the singles box but You Can't Always Get What You Want is mono. That's opposite of how it used to be. I wonder if that's right.
    - Long Long While is still mono, even though it was recorded during the Aftermath sessions. Same with Sad Day, although that's only on the singles box.
    - it looks like the only place for the long Out Of Time is the UK Aftermath.

I noticed a few typographical errors, like I Can't Be Satisfied being on the singles box instead of I Don't Know Why (the next song in the list). I'm curious to know what the changes/updates are.

22. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

MY GOD WHY IS THIS SO UTTERLY DISAPPOINTING.

You know these problems will never be fixed. Again, I bet ICE doesn't even aknowledge 'em.

D

23. ascot

ascot Senior Member

"Honky Tonk Women" was in mono on the original Singles box. It actually started in stereo with the percussion on the right channel, then it quickly panned to the center before the drums come in and goes mono the rest of the way. Really p'd me off with that one.

"You Can't Always..." was stereo though.

Does anyone know if either of these songs were actually mixed for mono or if the singles were just fold-downs?

24. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

There was a separate mono mix of "Woman", at least it sounds that way on my old 45, but whether the domestic CD uses it I dunno. I refuse to listen to it.

25. When I worked in CD retail in the early 1990s, we would receive some new release stock Thursday/Friday (some Polygram/A&M, MCA, and BMG). EMI and Warner stock would arrive on Monday along with the rest of the Polygram/A&M stock. Occasionally over the weekend, we would slip a new release to a high end regular customer but rarely. We were conscious that the record companies majorly frowned on such a practice. We would not give new releases out to anyone off the street who inquired. They would be told the stock hadn't arrived yet.

As for the stereo/mono thing, too bad there's no stereo Get Off My Cloud, and The Last Time. I'll have to stick with the so-so CD-R versions I have.

Cheers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.