a-ha Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thurenity, Mar 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes Thread Starter

One of my all-time favorite bands. A one-hit (or possibly two-hit) wonder in the States, but enormously popular in Europe and Norway's biggest export. :)

Got into them like many others did, in 1985 - bought "Hunting High and Low" and Kate Bush's "Hounds of Love" the same day, on cassette. I couldn't have imagined, in hindsight, how important that decision would be for me. But even after they started to wane in the US, I stuck with them right up until their last album in 2009. "Lifelines" (2002), in particular, is probably my favorite album.

My biggest regret is never seeing them live - had two chances in the States, I believe, and missed them both. And I keep hoping that we'll see vinyl reissues of their newer stuff, at some point.

So what about you? Are you a fan, or did you consider them a one / two hit wonder as well?

[​IMG]

alexpop likes this.
  2. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

I am very much a fan and stuck with them throughout their career. I had a ticket to see them in '86 on the Scoundrel Days tour, but it was canceled. However, I did catch their 2007 show in NYC, which was incredible! I still remember that day. During the afternoon, I was walking through Times Square, on my way to a cash machine. I passed some guys on the street, in "rock star" clothes. I thought, "Oh geez, pretentious rock guys," and moved along. I got my cash, then started to cross the street to go to the Virgin Megastore that was there at the time. As I am crossing, I hear what sounded like a street band start to play a song. The riff was familiar. "Wait, I know this," I thought. I quickly recognized that it was "Take On Me." Then it clicked in my head that those "rock guys" I passed were most likely a-ha, since their concert was scheduled for that night! I quickly turned around and ran back across the street, just as the light was changing. Sure enough, it was the guys playing on the street with some other street musicians. I called my friend, yelled excitedly into the phone about what I was witnessing, and held up the phone so he could hear. It was amazing. Someone filmed it for a documentary/TV show, but other than blurry video on YouTube, I'm not if it ever surfaced. I introduced myself to the guys afterward, shook hands with them, and went on my way. The concert that night was solid, as I said. They filmed it, but it was never released.

I was so happy in 2005 when they had their "comeback" hit in the UK with "Analogue (All I Want)." It was never even released here.

"Summer Moved On" from 2000 is incredible, and I also really loved their last album, Foot Of The Mountain. The single mixes of "Nothing Is Keeping You Here" and "Shadowside" are both essential.

3. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Wish they'd release a Blu-ray of that last tour.

Loved the first three albums, never saw them as a one hit wonder. In fact in 1985/86 in England I thought they were a multiple hit monster, three big hits in a row. Train of Thought not quite as big as Take and Sun, but still big nevertheless.

Getting the Bond theme, that was pretty huge too.

Would enjoy seeing some non-loudness wars vinyl reissues of their catalogue.

4. adiba

adiba Forum Resident

A fan since 1985. Morten Harket has one of the most personal and beautiful voices of pop history. :righton:

I saw them during their farewell tour in 2010. A shame they broke up because they were still making wonderful music :(

5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I only know "Take On Me" (yeah; I'm one of those people) but it's a great song and fantastic video concept. I really need to get one of their compilations.

6. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

The video of "Take On Me" would have to be in the Top 20 best/most memorable/original music videos of all time. And the recording itself was one of the finest pop productions you could hear on radio in the 80's. I wish they had stayed together but I think they probably felt they had run their course and bowed out while still in top form. I need to go back & catch up on some of their albums I missed.

7. Thurenity

Agreed. I love "Lifelines" but it's definitely a casualty of the loudness wars.

ENVY! Great that you managed to catch them playing in the street like that!

You're not alone - most people in the US have no idea that they were around for 25 years. No idea why that is, but it is what it is.

They dropped the "synthpop" heavy sound by the 1990's, but it was still essentially a-ha, all the way up to their last album. I like "Lifelines" as an album and can play that one from beginning to end. But, for me, "Analogue" (from 2005) is one of their best songs ever. There's no reason why that couldn't have been a major hit in the US, if it was actually marketed.

8. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

I love the one or two hits and really should look into more. I can actually remember the first time I heard "Take on Me" and immediately thought, "This is going to be monstrously popular." America's favorite late-night TV personality, Craig Ferguson, has mentioned being fond of a-ha, and I'm pretty sure he meant it.

Not only is the regular "Take on Me" video splendid, but of course, the latter-day literal video version is highly amusing.

9. Cracked.com recently had an article on "5 One-Hit Wonders Who Deserve Your Respect", and A-ha was one of the bands discussed. One of the points made being, they weren't really a one-hit wonder except for the USA.

10. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

:laugh: Those Literal Videos are hilarious. Pipe Wrench Fight!

12. Thurenity

Two days ago? I swear that my post is not related as I hadn't seen it until now - good timing, however.

I actually created this thread out of another thread regarding artists that don't get a lot of love here.

13. Destroyer

Destroyer Forum Resident

I was always quite fond of the single "Dark Is The Night". I saw a broadcast of a live show in Norway in the past few years and it was quite good. When they played "Hunting High And Low" the entire crowd (which looked like easily 100,000 people) sang along and it was really impressive. I wish I had caught the show from the beginning because I really enjoyed the part that I saw.

Morton Harkett must have that Dick Clark syndrome - he looks like he's hardly aged at all.

14. greatmuta

greatmuta Forum Resident

I was only familiar with 'Take On Me' until I discovered more of their music about 5 years ago through youtube and last.fm. I've been a big fan since then :thumbsup: My favorite song of theirs is Hunting High And Low.

15. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

otherdimension likes this.
  16. JimC

JimC Senior Member

Becoming more of a fan recently. Loved "Take on Me" since it came out (I still have the 45), but recently I've picked up the deluxe Hunting High and Low, the 2004 Singles set, Scoundrel Days, Memorial Beach, and East of the Sun, West of the Moon. I'm enjoying discovering this band.

17. Keim

Keim Hangin' here from the start

I've enjoyed them since Take on Me broke big on MTV in the 80s. Enjoy all of their albums except Stay on these Roads. Great band.

18. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I never thought of a-ha as a one-hit wonder because I loved "Take On Me", "The Sun Always Shines On TV" and "Hunting High and Low", plus the Bond song. I was always puzzled when I didn't hear from them again in the late '80s/early '90s. But, like Kylie Minogue, little did I know that they remained very successful in Europe. Back then there was no Internet, so I didn't have a lot of information on imported music and international music charts.

Also, the 2010 Rhino remasters of "Hunting High and Low" and "Scoundrel Days" are excellent. The packaging for SD is beautiful.

19. Keim

I also recommend checking out some of thier solo and offshoot efforts. Good stuff! I particularly enjoy Savoy (Pal's band). Harket also has another solo album out very soon.

20. So anyway: I'm one of those folks who knows A-ha wasn't a one-hit wonder, and didn't like all of their stuff, but did pick up the first album and liked some later material off of Scoundrel Days and Stay On These Roads, but lost track after that. I totally loved "The Sun Always Shines on TV" though, and that song still makes me feel oogy.

I've long meant to check out more of their music, but you know how it is. I note that there's a pretty comprehensive career overview available on iTunes for $14; is that a good place for someone interested in the sweep of their career to start?

21. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Love some of their stuff. Hunting High & Low is a great album and surprisingly Take On Me is not my fave track. That would be either Living A Boys Adventure Tale or the gorgeous Blue Sky two of my all time favourite songs. Of course the title track is awesome as well. Aside from that I like Cry Wolf but really should delve into their catalogue more.

22. Keim

23. Cloudbuster

Cloudbuster Forum Resident

A grossly misunderstood band.
    East Of The Sun West Of The Moon and Memorial Beach are brilliant.
    In fact, they didn't make a bad album.

24. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Not sure how to Take On a reply to this thread.

25. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I liked "Take On Me" when it was getting maximum play on MTV! I really lost track of them after that, but rediscovered them with their great "Analogue" CD.

Incidentally, Nowegian jazz singer Inger Marie Gundersen recently recorded "Take On Me" on her latest album. It is quite gorgeous -- but very different!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.