a-ha reuniting for album ("Cast In Steel") and tour in 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Uther, Mar 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sesam

Sesam Forum Resident

This is really good news! But also logical that they strive to reinvent themselves and ad new things to the album but especially to the tour. Coming back and still sound like the FOTM and EOAHN tour would be kind of embarrassing. But I was never really worried that would be the case.

The first single should be released before the summer holidays in Europe if the release date for the album still stands.

2. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

[​IMG]

Classic Pop magazine have a-ha on the cover this month. :D Old school a-ha too. It's just like 1986! ;)
    I wasn't sure what a-ha thread to add this to, but since this is discussing the forthcoming album and tour, I'm including it here.
    There's a one-page piece on the reunion, and on the band in general, which recycles old quotes, and then there's a sort of career retrospective, with Must-Have Albums, Essential Singles and Must-Watch Videos. As I've come to expect with Classic Pop, it's a decent enough article (hell, I'm always delighted to have any a-ha material in a significant music magazine), but I'd regard some of the remarks - especially those aimed at the albums - as quite controversial (or at the very least, unusual). They certainly wouldn't necessarily tally with some of the comments made by fans here on the a-ha album-by-album thread. Both East of the Sun, West of the Moon and Memorial Beach fall under the category as being "Only for the brave", which I can only attribute to their serious sound being atypical of the sort of eighties electro-pop that would be beloved of the magazine. I'm reluctant to summarise the entire article, so I won't list their "twenty all-time faves" (a pretty solid set of tracks, for the most part). They can be a surprise for anyone who wants to buy the magazine.
    However, since it may prompt some general discussion, here are the three other lists:
    The Essential Singles are Take On Me, The Sun Always Shines on TV, Hunting High and Low, Manhattan Skyline, Stay on These Roads and Summer Moved On.
    The Must-Have Albums are Hunting High and Low, Scoundrel Days, Stay on These Roads and Foot of the Mountain.
    The Must-Watch Videos are Take On Me, The Sun Always Shines on TV, Minor Earth Major Sky and Forever Not Yours.
    Personally, I regard Crying in the Rain and Velvet as among their best videos, so I'm surprised they're not included.

jsayers likes this.
  3. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

According to rumours on the West Of The Moon board they are wrapping up recording as we speak. I'm very impatient for official details on this and another September release: the new David Gilmour album.

4. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Peter Kvint posted on Facebook that he has delivered the album master. I suppose this means the mixed 2 track for mastering. Also it might indicate that he is the "album produced by" guy (even though individual tracks might have other people producing - I think this is the case for Paul's material).

5. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

New single "Under the Make-up" will debut July 3. From the a-ha FB page:

a-ha's first single in five years, 'Under The Make-up', will premiere on 3 July - just over two weeks from now!

The cover art is being produced as we speak, so this image is not official wink emoticon We know many of you enjoy making fan art, though, so while we wait for the official cover, let's see what you all can do!

Post your fan art with the theme 'under the make-up' on the wall or share it with us at [email protected] by 2 July. A selection of entries will be added to a photo gallery here on Facebook for everyone to enjoy.

We're looking forward to seeing your creations!
    ‪#‎aha30‬ ‪#‎castinsteel‬

[​IMG]

6. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Interesting credits on that one. This might be an example of the material Paul have been excited about. From instagram pictures etc it seems like he's been having some fun with a giant Moog Modulator synth lately. Wonder if this might feature here.

7. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

It all started with Rock In Rio, the festival organizers realized there was an anniversary that could be taken advantage of, and started this ball rolling. A Ha as a recording and touring band was done, that's a fact. When they accepted the offer for Rock In Rio things ended up feeling a lot better then the band expected. Simple as that, they felt good about being together as people and more dates and in the end a new album came out of it. Morten Harket certainly didn't or hadn't thought about getting A Ha back together, he just came off his biggest solo album yet (Brother), which was a critical and commercial huge success(ignored in the US as always) Number one album in Norway, and around the world a good success also. He was going in to follow this up, A Ha wasn't on his radar, until the Rock In Rio folks came calling. Sometimes **** happens and plans change, everything isn't a conspiracy.

ARK likes this.
  8. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Norwegian record store "Platekompaniet" has just confirmed vinyl release of Cast In Steel. Not surprising really since the two first albums as well as Morten Harket's album Brother recently was released on vinyl. but is the first new a-ha album since Memorial Beach (1993) released on the format.

:goodie:

myker likes this.
  9. Sesam

Sesam Forum Resident

Well, the first singel has leaked!

c-eling, LarsO, cber1517 and 4 others like this.
  10. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I like!

11. synthfrog

synthfrog Forum Resident

Very nice mellow new track. Kind of similar in mood and style to Summer Moved On.

myker and jsayers like this.
  12. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Truthfully most crave the spotlight they say it's time walk away from it.
    Put big a spectacle on example Simply Red, even giving dvd interview
    saying... Simply red is done. on farewall tour dvd which i have but.
    I had bit emotion and the end.
    It's sad people waste their money farewell tours.. pay big money in fact.
    Buy a t-shirt cd and whatever they have. Saying I was there .
    All suddenly , Deja Vu happens and somebody can't sit still.
    And try to do something else.:rolleyes:.
    It's showing with Mick Hucknall he should stayed in bed.
    a lot bad reviews on amazon and other websites.

If Freddie Mercury lived..? I really think he of would quit.
    And not come back when he believed it was his
    time to let go.
    Others can't sad...:shake:

13. myker

myker Forum Resident

14. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Thank you @Sesam for the link. I liked it on first listen and even more on the second. Drenched in strings!

myker likes this.
  15. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

Very debatable and very unlikely, he was the one keeping the band together, he would have carried on as long as he could, which in fact he even did up to the very end.
    But it's a rule of showbiz, they all come back if they see a chance or the right offer comes along. It's both for the money and the ego. There are only very few exceptions from the rule who were able to resist the temptation, ABBA comes to mind.

Simon A likes this.
  16. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Single cover: Would be nice to have this on a 7 inch clear vinyl or something...

[​IMG]

godslonelyman and jsayers like this.
  17. krisjay

It is great to hear the new single. Morten's voice is one of the rare ones that get's better with age.

Sesam, LarsO and jsayers like this.
  18. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

19. Sesam

Sesam Forum Resident

Thanks Lars! Made a real difference in my appreciation for the song. Now I can hear details like the wind section, First Class summer-melancholia! I'm really moved by it. Morten's voice is sublime and filled with emotion without unecessary sweetening the song. I like that he sings in his midrange the whole song without the expected key change, it's more poignant this way.

Probably in minority but this single speaks to me much more than the three from Foot of the Mountain. My only complaint is the length and the shadow of "Skyfall" and "Play Dead".

LarsO likes this.
  20. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

It's available now on iTunes...

21. krisjay

22. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

It has a very Lifelines feel to it. I'm sure it will grow on me.

23. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Disagree strongly there. Brian May had already been working on a solo album in the late 80's/early 90's, and Freddie & Roger had already made solo LP's in the 80's. I think Queen would have continued to exist much like Genesis had in the 80's - free to do solo/side projects while reconvening the band every few years for a new album (and paycheck). I think having four distinct songwriters in the band would've actually helped them stay together...they all would've known their songs were best served by Freddie singing them, as well as being able to achieve the widest audience, which is also something most songwriters (presumably) crave, since unlike Genesis, none of them had had any great success outside of the band. Queen, like any band, had their ups and downs on a personal level (while keeping such things remarkably private, even to this day), but I don't think they ever would've broken up permanently, just perhaps taken more time between projects, like most artists seem to when they get into their 40's and 50's.

24. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  25. godslonelyman

godslonelyman Forum Resident

Under The Makeup is a grower, I must admit it was kinda bland at first listen. Mind you, the three singles off FOTM didnt do much for me neither. The album tracks (Bandstand, What There Is, Mother Nature Goes To Heaven) won me over. *puts headphones back on*

Sesam, LarsO and jsayers like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.