A list of quality CDs.....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CrazyCatz, Oct 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky! Thread Starter

Well I'm new here(Hello everyone on SHMF) so forgive Me IF this has been touched on already OR indeed IF a list already exists, but after what seems like forever away from the Music and Hi-Fi scene I have just been bitten(for the 2nd time in my life) by the Music/Hi-Fi bug :whistle: so having put together(read cobbled) the cheapest most basic system funds will permit at the moment, I've been looking for some Tunes to Play..and only own about 12 CDs that escaped the Car Boot sales...so been scouring FleaBay for bargains...well that and looking up more and more Info...I had completely forgotten what a minefield this can be..even down to was the mastering/remastering on this release of said Artist/Band is any good...I mean if it ain't broke why fix it...
    ELO is just one example...so many to choose from on CD, but not all sound the same...so which is the best? Sound Quality wise and Faithful(or nr as dammit) to the Original Sound Recording, before some engineer decided He likes it like this...

Even a list of the worst ones to avoid would be a great help...IDK? kinda hard to put into words...and also I like so much different stuff! from Vangelis to Floyd, The Doors, Tracy Chapman..even the Carpenters..and right through to Lee "scatch" Perry...

atb

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Your best bet is to search the Music Corner forum for artists of interest. I am sure you will find no shortage of opinions on various masterings through which to sort. :)

stereoptic and CrazyCatz like this.
  3. CrazyCatz

Cheers KM, Yeah I have popped over to the Music Corner to check this Thread out > "Are the recent ELO CDs good sounding?" just finding my feet here at the moment, This being only the 2nd Forum I've joined..the other being more about Hi-Fi Kit and what not...

And yeah I didn't find any shortage of opinions...bit like most Forums...whatever the field/topic...

atb

4. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

CrazyCatz likes this.
  5. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

CrazyCatz likes this.
  6. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

CrazyCatz likes this.
  7. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

A general rule to consider would be - an early '90s mastering is often the best one available in digital (CD).

There are as many exceptions to this rule as there are adherents, as you can imagine. What I'm saying is that while some '80s masterings will blow you away, there are also many that are best called anemic. On the other end of the time range, the loudness wars come into play. I noticed loud remasters as a trend in 1997. Others here can cite examples from as early as 1995. So there is a window, perhaps '89 to'96, during which the most satisfying masters/remasters issued, at least comparatively.

Now... use this rule only in the absence of better information. For example, The Mamas & The Papas' CD 16 Of Their Greatest Hits was mastered in 1986 by our host. It remains the best sounding M&P disc available, bar none. If you followed the rule I gave you and purchased a '90s era compilation, you would end up with some frustratingly bad sounding M&Ps discs for sure (I know. I own many of them).

So, perhaps rule #1 should be to check for advice here before heading out in search of a specific group or album. Fall back on the '89 to '96 rule when you are unable to log in.

Robert C and CrazyCatz like this.
  8. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Welcome to the forum.

The term 'bargain' can mean different things for different people. While many of the out of print (oop) titles from audiophile labels like Mobile Fidelity (MFSL) and DCC (Digital Compact Classics) and Audio Fidelity (AF) are expensive, many of the still-in-print titles from MFSL and AF are a 'relative' bargain. Many AF titles, mastered by our host Steve Hoffman, can be found for $20-$25 or less, while many of the MFSL CD's can be had for less than $30 US.

If you're looking for bargains of less than $5, I understand. Carry on.

:)

CrazyCatz likes this.
  9. CrazyCatz

Wow!! thanks for replies Folks, and I will be sure to check out the above mentioned Threads..plus I now which M&P(or at least have an idea) to get...did have em on Vinyl..many, many moons ago....hopefully by the end of next week I will have at least 20 Albums to listen to and all good quality versions...this time round I want to have less, but a finer collection than when I was younger...couldn't stay outta Record Shops back in the day(or the Bargain bin) Which was how I found my copy of Bohemian Rhapsody by The braids...which the acapella version was awesome, probably the best Queen cover...

Again thanks for replies and pointers

atb

10. CrazyCatz

Well the Date I keep coming across for the The Mamas & The Papas' CD 16 Of Their Greatest Hits is 1990...least this seems to be the common one on FleaBay..Info is a bit sketchy to say the least...gotta have it NOW! but want the right one...I remember having this on Vinyl I'm sure of it.....

11. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Sisters Of Mercy-Vision Thing, one of the best digital recordings I've ever heard

Robert C and CrazyCatz like this.
  12. CrazyCatz

Be interesting to see/hear some Sister OR Mission..not listened to since cassette days...

Robert C likes this.
  13. Tom in Houston

DCC Archives thread for you to read if you like: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...tering-mamas-and-papas-16-greatest-hits.1002/

The current last post in that thread contains a link to the CD in question on Discogs. This is it: http://www.discogs.com/Mamas-The-Papas-16-Of-Their-Greatest-Hits/release/5442542 I don't think it matters what date is listed for this collection in an online entry - you don't need the first pressing to get the correct Hoffman mastering. Mine is from the Columbia Record Club. Make sure you get the correct cover and track listing - I think the cover is different from the vinyl version you owned.

Amazon sellers appear to be offering it for one penny (plus $3.99 shipping). That's an invitation to pick it up for next to nothing when you find yourself ordering other titles from one of these vendors.

If you live in a city that still has used music stores, Goodwills etc., your chances of buying a copy, today, for less than the price of a fast food meal, are pretty good.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  14. Tommy SB

Tommy SB Forum Resident

CrazyCatz and Tom in Houston like this.
  15. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Preach it!

Original WEA Germany Floodland and Elektra USA Vision Thing (for the corrected track flags) are the ones to get. First And Last And Always is a little trickier. Also, the two compilations from 92/93 are only available in their original well mastered form.

Original Mission CDs sound good but the 2007 (?) remasters are fine as well!

CrazyCatz likes this.
  16. CrazyCatz

Thanks again Tom for the Info..just paid for a copy off FleaBay..and was for nowt really, so If its not the correct(Hoffman) one then all I've wasted is a little bit of time & money...though at £1.46 inc free PnP I won't be too disappointed...

[​IMG]

17. CrazyCatz

Cheers for the replies peeps, been a Great last week(well listening to New CDs, well new to me) played Grace by Jeff Buckley 3 times today already...bit of ELO next and either Cash or Floyd to end the night..OR Blade Runner

atb

c-eling likes this.
  18. Tom in Houston

If the copy you ordered has this artwork, you have the correct mastering. This title was not remastered after Steve did it. Unlike the elusive Steely Dan Hoffman-mastered discs, this one is easy to find. Enjoy.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  19. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Discogs is your friend.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  20. CrazyCatz

^^^ Yeah I've been over @ Discogs, and been using Google and Amazon...and this place to try and find as much Info as possible about each Artist/Album I'm interested in...which for Me is VERY varied...but mostly older stuff..tbh not a lot of the 2000-2014 Artists really interest me, with a few exceptions..
    I know it will take time to re-build Album Collection back up, and mostly 2nd hand of FleaBay...must start looking around the 2nd hand Shops/Charity Shops and Cash Converter sort of places for bargains...

Looking forward to having at least 25 Albums..where you just wanna play the whole album all the way through...

atb

21. CrazyCatz

Buzzing!!! My 2nd hand(Fleabay) The Mamas & The Papas 16 of their greatest hits arrived today, along with My new Van Damme Blue Series 2.5mm Speaker Cable..
    The Cd is a indeed a Steve Hoffman Remaster even says so on the Inlay :) So I'm very happy, will be giving this disc a spin in a bit, 1st on the QED 42 Strand...then with the Van Damme Blue...

Happy Days!!

Edit:Cd is in Mint condition...not a scratch or blemish!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
    Robert C and Tom in Houston like this.
  22. CrazyCatz

Well I didn't really get to give any Tracks a good airing(didn't get home till late) but did sort the cables and watch a bit of TV, well a film after Wentworth repeat(ain't ALL TV bloody repeats) but Source Code sounded awesome through the Amp/Spk and new cable...when the wave of fire engulfs the train and pans from the back of the train right up to the camera sounded wicked!

Another bad nights sleep(happens a lot) SOoo as soon as I was up and at em, decided to give the Mamas & Papas Album a whirl(did listen to it briefly earlier last night,but only at moderate levels) Well through the Van Damme cables sounded much,much better..and the quality of the Mastering Job really shines..The Music and the Vocals sound Great!! Also loaded up a few other CD's and played various Tracks..

The Braids - Bohemian Rhapsody(Acapella)
    Dobie Gray - Drift Away
    Lee Greenwood - The Wind Beneath My Wings
    Crystal Gayle - Don't it Make My Brown Eyes Blue
    Bobby Goldsboro - Honey
    Tracy Chapman - Talkin Bout a Revolution, Fast Car, Across the Lines
    Jeff Buckley - hallelujah

Well that was all I had time for so-far..Cash, Floyd, Enigma and Blade Runner later Me thinks...

atb

Very Happy so far with System and CD Collection, Also have 2 more Jeff Buckley CD's on route(one of em Live at Sin-e) next is a Bob Marley Album, and after looking on here at Threads about these(Barry Diament Re-Masters-1990) I will be tracking down a couple of these...

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...nt-to-the-sh-forums.79864/page-2#post-1766903

And The fact the Barry posted on here, stating which Re-Masters He did, how and when...well that's just awesome...really liking this site...

c-eling likes this.
  23. CrazyCatz

Well My Jeff buckley ~ Live at Sin-e turned up today, Mint Condition...ain't had time to play yet though...also Won a Queen ~ A Kind Of Magic(Mint) CD...will be buzzing when that one turns up...used to have years ago.....

24. CrazyCatz

Well the CD Collection is getting BIGGER...slowly..me Bob Marley ~ Legend CD turned up today(Mint-£4.70)...and its the right Mastered one(Barry Diament) won't get to play much today...

atb

Robert C likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.