A Momentary Lapse of Reason Pink Floyd

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fishoutofwater, Oct 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Just looked up my copy of AMLOR on Discogs and my catalog number is OC 40599 and that makes it a Carrollton Pressing which rates it a nice copy to have, I always knew it sounded good and now I know why, my copy is VG+ condition, did not realize and thought I would share.

2. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

I was just browsing a shop during my lunchbreak and heard a Floyd track piped over the speakers.
    Can't quite place it. Definitely an absolute classic from a Gilmour-led Floyd.
    It goes a little bit like:
    "....clinging to a ladder, to a world that's departed, it's not enough it's not enough...."
    Sounded live. What an amazing number.

3. "Sorrow"

He's chained forever to a world that's departed It's not enough, it's not enough His blood has frozen and curdled with fright

4. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

As wayneklein pointed out, it’s Sorrow. The best version of Sorrow that I’ve heard is the performance from the Pulse DVD (Live At Earls Court).

Be sure to watch this accompanying video in HD:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  5. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

thanks fellas. what a monstrous song.

Mirror Image likes this.
  6. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

IMO "Sorrow" is the best "Gilmour-led era" Pink Floyd song. And Dave wrote it all by himself too:righton:

7. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

I've always likes A Delicate Sound Of Thunder, so yes. I prefer Lapse to The Division Bell, High Hopes aside.

8. omnisonic

omnisonic Forum Resident

Apologies if this has been discussed.
    I remember reading somewhere that the grooves on the original, standard, US pressing were really shallow which can cause tracking issues and skipping.

I have a NM original US pressing and its skippes all over the place.
    I also have a NM promo, original US pressing and it plays perfectly. (Oh and it sounds fantasic)

For what it's worth, if you're after the vinyl, you might be better off getting the re-issue or hunt down the promo if you want an original.

9. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

The tune is ordinary, but the instrumentation really makes it special. Come to think of it, that's true of a lot of Floyd songs.

Echoes Myron and ohnothimagen like this.
  10. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Its an 80's album... so yeah, it's gonna sound like a product if its time:D. Not remarkable but a solid album.

I don't hate the Final Cut, lyrically it's Waters best and very sentimental. But I wouldn't listen to it after my first hearing.

11. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

One of the best albums from the 80's, Sorrow is a classic - love the lyrics: "The sweet smell of a great sorrow lies over the land". How wonderful!

Mother and wrappedinsky like this.
  12. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I always liked how they trucked Gilmour's amps/effects rig out to the L.A. Coliseum and recorded the guitar intro for "Sorrow" like it was a live date. It sounds bleedin' loud on the record...

Echoes Myron likes this.
  13. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

It was as late as 2016 at a live gig when I had to realise for the first time that the intro is played by hand two strings at once and not with pick. Can anybody guess where he kept the pick in the meantime? :shh:

Maurice likes this.
  14. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Polly did not write that line?

15. Jack Furth

Jack Furth Forum Resident

Polly wasn't around for Momentary. "Sorrow" is all Dave.

Mother, abzach, Kalli and 1 other person like this.
  16. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

See reply above, I didn't know.

California Couple likes this.
  17. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Picked up a UK original LP of this today. Used to have the CD from a little after it came out. I remember being in the army (RE) and having to find someone with a tv to watch them live a few years later. Crappy portable with an indoor aerial! I had an Aussie copy from about ten years ago, but it was cheap and a bit knackered. What is it with second hand Aussie vinyl, either all beat up or ridiculously high priced? Perhaps that's just Cairns.

Anyway, I've liked it since I first heard it and I still like it today. Preferred it to 'The Division Bell' which I picked up at the time too on LP. AMLOR certainly gets played more than all the rest bar DSOTM & WYWH.

18. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I see 3 different drummers and percussionists credited on the album. Anyone know which tracks Nick Mason played on?

ponkine likes this.
  19. Nick Brook

Nick Brook Forum Resident

AMLOR to my ears is a vanity recording ,utter tripe.

Got to admit
    I'm little bit confused
    sometimes it seems to me
    that the Pink Floyd name is just being abused.

20. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Utter tripe is Ummagumma.

MitchLT and Szeppelin75 like this.
  21. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Ummagumma may well be an example of an album where the whole is less than the sum of the parts. I would say that Grantchester Meadows is most certainly not tripe.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  22. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Umma has its merits I had to listen the album as a whole many times for it to settle and sink in. Love the umma as well as AMLOR.

Kalli and zinan like this.
  23. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

I wish there would be a little more Ummagumma in Momentary Lapse.

24. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Same here, different eras in the band during both albums. No Waters in AMLOR but still Reason has its bright spots. Ummagumma was a young Floyd soon to enter their block buster albums stage.

25. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Dogs of War is as bad as TFC or the worst stuff on The Wall, but the rest of it is better than 2/3 of the Wall. Dogs was somewhat improved on Delicate Sound as it sounds more human there.

Kalli and serj like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.