A Momentary Lapse of Reason Pink Floyd

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fishoutofwater, Oct 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I'm a record nerd, man!

MonkeysCantSwing and stax o' wax like this.
  2. realmdemagic

realmdemagic Forum Resident

Don't forget that all but 2 albums are also missing a key member.

sandmountainslim1 likes this.
  3. mtvgeneration

mtvgeneration Forum Resident

Someone called "One Slip" "radio friendly pap" :realmad: Maybe the production is a little slick and the lyrics clumsy sometimes, but that's not a radio-friendly song at all, with a long intro and somber anti-love message that I haven't heard in any other song (Floyd or not). I'm skeptical of anyone who thinks that's a lousy song. Personally I think it's the best single Floyd released after The Wall. I think, as a single late in the cycle of a controversial album, it got lost in the shuffle.

4. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Slip pure 80's bliss. Love it a unique single if you look around what was in top 40 radio 87--88.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  5. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

I find nothing wrong with AMLOR I love the LP and still spin it regularly, just saying

6. Psychedelic Good Trip

This thread bump will get me to spin my thoroughly cleaned 2016 180 gram vinyl AMLOR reissue tonight.

tinnox likes this.
  7. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Enjoy I am going to do the same but mine is an original press, right now when I got home had a package from Bull Moose and it contained David Bowie Aladdin Sane 45th anniversary silver vinyl which I am listening to now

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  8. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz

When it came out I judged it too harshly by comparing it with dark side of the moon and the wall but now I really really enjoy this album. I consider Momentary Lapse of Reason to be a transitional album in the same way as a Saucerful of Secrets and I love both of them. I think it is very underrated and it's the last Pink Floyd album worth paying any attention to since I consider both The Division Bell and the Endless River to be completely useless garbage. I really wish the group had ended its recording career in 1987 and went out on a high note rather than pushing the final two albums over on the world.

wrappedinsky and Fishoutofwater like this.
  9. Imperious Leader

Imperious Leader Forum Resident

their worst album

10. Psychedelic Good Trip

AMLOR is some sweet 80's magic.

11. sandmountainslim1

Honestly? You really like Ummagumma , Division Bell and the Endless River better? More power to you if you do but this might be another example of Laurel/Yanny :)

applejam101 likes this.
  12. Imperious Leader

Imperious Leader Forum Resident

Ummagumma definitely. Division Bell: borderline, never heard of Endless River

13. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

Gilmour's quote about "anyone have a spare concept?" told me all I needed to know. I think of it as a floating dead whale for some reason.

xfilian likes this.
  14. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

This is what happens for me with this album : every once in a while, I get the idea I need to give it a second chance and reassess the record. I put it on, listen intently, think "Hey, it might not be that bad !". But about halfway through the first side, I can't stand listening to the lame, lame thing, turn it off and instantly forget everything I've heard.

15. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

i liked both momentary lapse and division bell, just not as much as the previous albums ... and that's not some dave vs roger thing either

16. sandmountainslim1

Compared with the Endless River it sounds like Dark Side of the Moon and Sergeant Pepper's brilliance combined.

daltieri and mark winstanley like this.
  17. mark winstanley

endless river was disappointing ... i know they wanted to honour Richard, but it is like high class unfinished demo's

18. Concept or not, it's a fine album with some terrific music. Lyrically, not always so strong but I could care less about a concept album. Gilmour was bowing to the expectation of a Floyd album HAVING a central concept.

I don't expect a great concept from an album. I just expect good music and playing and Gilmour delivered on both in spades. Some of the lyrics were quite accomplished, while others not so much. I could give or take "The Dogs of War" which is about as heavy handed as some of Waters' worst work but it does have a killer guitar solo and nice sax workout.

What, exactly, is lame about it? Do you dislike the lyrics, the music, the playing, the singing, all of the above or is it the fact that Gilmour dared to release what is, essentially, a solo album as a Floyd album?

It checked most of the boxes at the time and, while the production is very much 1987, I think that the music transcends the limitations.

Never understood the hate for "Endless River"--they never claimed it to be anything that what it is--a series of jams, works-in-progress that Gilmour and Mason put some finishing touches to close off Pink Floyd. One could argue that it isn't their most accomplished album but is it really worse than parts of "Atom Heart Mother" or the pointless jamming of some of the material post-Barrett before Waters stepped up to the fore as main songwriter?

It seems to me it is judged harshly for something it wasn't--the "new" Pink Floyd concept album full of completely realized and finished tracks. It's not and nor did Gilmour or Mason ever claim it to be. They could have realized nothing or these could have circulated as unfinished bootlegs but, really, no one forced anyone to buy it.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  19. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

I am a long term fan and most likely not able to be objective. I like Momentary Lapse because it's the first of the albums I witnessed being released. It has some strong songs. I like On The Turning Away, Yet Another Movie and Sorrow which rank on same level for me like e.g. Another Brick In The Wall. The Division Bell was quite disappointing in the first place for me when it was released. Especially because of Coming Back To Live where I saw seven draws entering the living room when the drum beat comes in. Still not my favourite but the album gained a lot through the years, especially when I heard the 5.1 version. Marooned, Poles Apart, Oluster One are great songs. The Endless River grabbed me instantly. I love ambient music and David's e-bow play. Louder Than Words is gorgeous!

enro99 likes this.
  20. sandmountainslim1

A Boat Lies Waiting on Rattle that Lock is a very touching tribute to Richard Wright. Far far better than that mess that they call Endless River.

mark winstanley likes this.
  21. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

I would call AMLOR Pink Floyd's worst album the same way I would judge "the ugliest" Victoria Secret model.Now if The Final cut was a Floyd album and not a Waters solo project it would take the honor of worst.

22. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

For me it is fully competent...but nothing great. Nothing exceptional. Competent instrumentation and lyrics. It doesn't surprise musically or lyrically so what have you got? Even if it aspired to growth of some kind and failed that could at least be compelling. The ambition and content (including instrumentation) come off hollow and not genuine. Meaning: In the past (good or bad) they always had some additional ambition of some kind besides.... sound like PF.

23. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

You cannot appreciate the beauty of Paranoid Eyes??:yikes:

mando_dan and PDK like this.
  24. mark winstanley

I don't hate it mate. it was nice, but .... idk ... maybe do more with it ... i'm sure Richard wright didn't have those tapes and think "hmm this is my last completed work" ... you know?

25. mark winstanley

i actually really liked rattle that lock .. i have only listened to it twice (and only the 5.1) but i enjoyed it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.