A Momentary Lapse of Reason Pink Floyd

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fishoutofwater, Oct 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

:wave:
    I enjoy both, but TFC is probably my favorite out of their discography.

2. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

So, I have had the worst experiences to TFC and The Wall. Once, with a bunch of friends, I just freaked out because [undisclosed reason] and TFC happened to be the soundtrack. Kind of a chicken and the egg situation, I think. I already had a bit of a 'anti-late Roger' thing going due to the totally dismal moods he was creating, IMO. My Wall story also includes bad choices and waking up in a hospital with wires on my chest and associating it on the spot, not aware of what had happened to me at that moment, with "If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain."

I just think that side of Rog really brings out the devil in me. I am afraid.

3. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Isn't everything dated these days...... :shrug:

wrappedinsky, Carlox and The Revealer like this.
  4. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

Yes, both digitally and carbon-dated. You'd think having a fairly exact origin would naturally be a part of discussing the value of something even if, remarkably, the object seems timeless. I feel the 'it's dated' commentary is used to identify recordings that don't sound timeless. I mean, what's everyone's obsession with perfection all about? Especially when ascribed to music production. I certainly understand the appreciation of a thoroughly well-executed album where form defines function, of course. But I love the chemistry between me and music even more!

How music hits me personally, different from other people, is what music is really all about to me. The Floyd in all incarnations is a band that respects that by being authentic and open. I mean, why would you take your band to Pompeii without an audience, and film it, if you weren't all about the shared experience?

It's the fire around which we gather.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  5. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Of course The Final Cut is essential listening, but it’s an album I’ve kind of burned out on...I have had the vinyl since day of release. A Momentary Lapse Of Reason, is s very easy album to listen to, and gives me a nice Pink Floyd chill out. Always a nice album to return to.

The Revealer likes this.
  6. MCM

MCM Active Member

For me: too much Bob Ezrin, not enough Floyd. I thought the boys in the band would've had a wealth of great material amassed after their emancipation, since they hadn't been allowed to contribute significantly to the last few albums.

timind, Lownote30 and Kalli like this.
  7. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

Raises hand.

Both albums are very much a product of their time, both somewhat out-of-balance WRT the amount of influence each "lead writer" had on the final product. And both are still brilliant records that I like more with every listen, even all these years down the road. And yet, both albums would be better if ALL of Pink Floyd had been equally involved in the final product.

Big Pasi and The Revealer like this.
  8. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

See.....now this is more proof to me of an overlapping Bizarro-World musical dimension where Rattle That Lock (and every other Gilmour solo record) is somehow NOT the snooze-fest it is in my home dimension.

FTR -- The Division Bell is a Top 5 Pink Floyd record, and pretty much every note oozes musical brilliance. Proof that PF as a writing unit still had some sauce left in the bottle. The Endless River is a fantastic album for what it is, and a nice little career bookend. With a bit of effort, Gilmour could have made a few more of these demos into real songs, and real great ones at that.

.....and I still think that it's ridiculous that Dave, Roger, and Nick can practically be touring on top of each other, and not find a way to get together. Stick the three of them in a room with Jon Carin and don't let anyone out until an album is done. $10 says it would be brilliant.

9. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I got into Pink Floyd in 1988, but surprisingly, it was through the earlier albums. I had a cut off of nothing after The Final Cut. I didn't get the Waterless albums until about 10 years ago and by that time, I found them hard to get into, the other albums were imprinted in my DNA and I just couldn't take to them. However, last Christmas I received Momentary Lapse on Vinyl and gave it another go and it clicked. I would consider now that I love both TFC and AMLOR, it is like a railway with a junction, sometimes you turn left, sometimes you turn right, but each direction leads you on a great journey. Still haven't clicked with Division Bell though.

10. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

To me, there're 3 things that cannot separate from AMLOR:

1- It's WAY TOO 80s. Everything SCREAMS 80s: sonic production, the (over)use of digital reverb, effects, gated drums, etc, etc

2- It feels like a Gilmour solo album with too many musicians. Pretty much the same feel as 'Final Cut' with Roger Waters

3- Side 1 is so much better than side 2. Other than the magnificent 'Sorrow', I barely listen to side 2

timind likes this.
  11. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

is The Final Cut.

The Revealer likes this.
  12. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Am I the only person who finds it incredibly ironic that an album called "The Endless River" contains no Waters?

13. California Couple

That's funny because I have always liked the second side better. And of course it sounds like an 80's album, because it IS an 80's album.

Carlox and Colocally like this.
  14. California Couple

Why, because as you know, they were coping Let It Be, which some people do not even realize was an actual album.

The Revealer likes this.
  15. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Apparently not, but The Endless River quote, does come at the end of High Hopes, from The Division Bell.

And as we know in that song, the ringing of the Division Bell had begun.

So no, no Waters.

Kalli likes this.
  16. California Couple

That says it all.

17. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Dated means old stuff you don't like, Timeless means old stuff you do. ;)

Stormrider77, marcb, Carlox and 4 others like this.
  18. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

For me it is BOTTOM 5 Pink Floyd. A far cry from classic works like DSOTM and WYWH.

sandmountainslim1 likes this.
  19. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Gonna spin this 2016 AMLOR vinyl reissue tonight.

sandmountainslim1, Kalli and abzach like this.
  20. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Didn't like it on release, and still don't give it any time.

Anything post "The Final Cut" is just a weak Dave Gilmour album with the brand name "Pink Floyd" on the cover to sell maximum copies and launch a couple of hollow world tours.

timind and xfilian like this.
  21. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

At the time I thought it was tripe, but nowadays there are a few songs on AMLOR that, to my surprise, I actually like. (Certainly I vastly prefer it to The Division Bell.)

In particular I enjoy A New Machine > Terminal Frost, which doesn't sound too far removed from, say, Sting's work around the same time -- or Tears for Fears -- or, more controversially, Scott Walker or even Talk Talk.

That said I love The Final Cut, and that's the last album by the band that genuinely means something to me.

22. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I thought A Momentary Lapse Of Reason was great at the time, but it sounds quite dated now.

And the Division Bell is exactly how I thought middle age sounded back when I was a teenager. It still sounds like that now, except it's blander than middle age.

The Final Cut is the last decent Pink Floyd album imo, (even though it's mostly a Roger Waters album). At least, the last one that hasn't dated poorly (aside from some of the lyrics, but that doesn't bother me so much).

23. Robber Soul

Robber Soul Forum Resident

To reference author Watty Piper, AMLOR for me is the little album that just couldn't. Giving credit where credit is due, it thought it could and tried hard.

24. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

The context of when Momentary came out is part of how I feel about it, still. Going back to when Gilmour put out his first solo album, I began to come around to the concept that there was this divergence in the Floyd in terms of not just vocal styles but overall approach. This was not something I had noticed before, or even thought much of at the time and for awhile thereafter. But when The Wall came out, and not just the record itself but how there was a fairly widespread awareness of conflict within the band, that this divergence had become crystal clear. To be clear (crystal or otherwise!), I am not talking about band politics.

Rather I found I was not loving The Wall as much as the Floyd's four previous efforts, and rightly or wrongly I blamed Waters for that. Then I didn't like The Final Cut, and that despite it getting some great reviews. At that point the Floyd went into solo projects, and we all heard how Waters said that Floyd would not reunite. Then there were the legal conflicts.

Meanwhile we're in the middle of the 80's, and what was there to really love about the period? I have my candidates, but they are not everyone's, and this being a Floyd thread...

So when one can say you would least expect it, along comes A Momentary Lapse of Reason. I liked that Richard had returned to the band even if as a contract player. And gone was the rather tendentious, and tedious, approach I had come to associate with Roger. I think Roger from what I gather is not proud of the way he handled this period, and I do not mean to say I overall do not admire him. Clearly the whole Pink Floyd experience would have been something else entirely if he had not made his mark. But in the mid 80's it certainly seemed like he was for lack of a better term the bad guy.

In other words, Momentary was quite an accomplishment considering all that was involved. Sure it sounds like when it was made, but I don't think over much so. Sure it was mostly David's record, but Nick and Rick made their real contributions. And at the time it came out, it was much appreciated - a new Pink Floyd album when we thought there would never be one!

And now, looking back, I like that it is not a concept album. I find Dogs of War a bit, well, tendentious! But the rest of it works quite nicely. On the Turning Away is beautiful, and I think it fair to say Sorrow is one of their best songs ever. But... it's not nearly as great as the Big Four (Meddle through Wish You Were Here), but I like it better than The Wall. It's maybe right after Saucerful of Secrets for me.

25. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Can we get this printed on T shirts?:laugh:

wrappedinsky likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.