A Most Wanted Man--Philip Seymour Hoffman's last starring role

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Panda, Jul 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant Thread Starter

Is there a buzz on this? LaCarre and Hoffman---seem to me there is potential here for something intelligent.
    It'll be out here next week.

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

One actor that passed way too early.
    Crying shame.

3. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

This film has been in the can for two whole years. The release date cannot come soon enough.

4. The Panda

Oh Man, that doesn't sound good.

5. The Panda

6. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

It will be bitter sweet watching it.

7. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

He's still going to be in the next Hunger Games movie, but I guess that is a supporting role only.

8. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Rolling Stone gave it 3.5 out of 4 stars.

I'll surely buy it on DVD when it becomes available and add it to my disturbingly large Philipp Seymour Hoffman movie collection.

9. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Since some movies sit "in the can" for so long, there's often a big difference between the last movie a deceased actor worked on and the last movie released with a deceased actor in it.

Is Hunger Games the last thing Hoffman shot?

10. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

The answer is yes. As I already indicated above, A Most Wanted Man had been in the can for two years, after shooting was complete.

It is similar to Christopher George. Mortuary was released in September 1983, shortly before his death. But actually, it was shot and completed in 1981. The very last thing he shot was the 1982 Spanish Horror flick Pieces.

11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Well, it's a good thing the Hunger Games was later, because you could see in the Hunger Games that Hoffman was out of it He looked washed out and dazed and didn't deliver any kind of performance. So that means this could be his last good performance.

12. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Have they announced how they're working around his death for Hunger Games: Mocking Jay Part 2? My understanding is that he finished all filming for Part 1, but they had barely started shooting Part 2 when he died.

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

His part was very inconsequential . Nothing would be lost by cutting the character.

14. The Panda

Fantastic performance. He inhabits the role. It's so low key that he'll never win anything, though.

15. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

It is a great film - probably the most true to life "spy movie" ever.

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Indeed...I've always enjoy the movies he's been in...no matter how small or large the part is he uplifts the movie for me.

17. townsend

townsend Senior Member

My wife and I saw this movie a week or two ago, and it is excellent movie with a superb performance by Hoffman. Ironically, we both disliked that "other spy" movie Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. I didn't know it (Hoffman's new movie) was completed so long ago and sat in the shelf. I don't care - - - it was an excellent movie (and I dislike the "typical" Hollywood movie, if you know what I mean).

18. The Panda

Yea, it's not for 20 year olds. It's an adult movie with no action, intense characters, slowly ratcheting tension and no CGI. The wife and I call them 'adult movies'.

Gumboo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.