A New Calling..Artists Who Found Religion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Luvtemps, Feb 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nevergnu

nevergnu Forum Resident

John Schlitt, lead singer of Head East from 1974 to 80. Kicked out of band because of drug habit, became a christian and later joined the group Petra and played with them for about 20 years.

I never listened to Petra, but I saw Head East in concert once. They put on a great show and had a few big hits.

clhboa, 905 and dkmonroe like this.
  2. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

I know Jon Cain is. He's married to a Paula White. Not sure about any others though.

Ed

3. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

"He's the One" on his Inside Job album, is a sly gospel-blues-rock take on "Seventh Son."

Hep Alien, D.B. and Zeki like this.
  4. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Joe made several great Christian rock albums in the '80s; rocking, melodic, and edifying. I was very disappointed to hear him say many years later that he was not a Christian during this period; that he did it for the money (He said he heard some other contemporary Christian artists and said, "I can write that stuff") and that he was still heavily drug addicted at the time. He has now renounced rock music completely and is a member of a cultish hard core fundamentalist church in North Carolina (unless he has left it). His testimony is on YouTube.

5. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Neal's lyrics in Spock's always had a spiritual slant to them, but Snow is where they got overtly religious and then he departed right after that album was made. He laid it on pretty thick on his first few albums post-Spock's, but has toned it down a little in the 10's on the official releases (not counting the worship CDs he releases to fans online) to where they now remind me of the lyrics he wrote for much of his Spock's run. Even though there have been times where I think, "'Man, I wish he would have toned it down a little," his music is so good that I don't care. He could sing the phone book and it would sound good.

Calling All Stations and SJP like this.
  6. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Yep, Snow was what I was alluding to when I said he had dialed in his religious lyrics at the end of the Spock's Beard run. I agree, Neal Morse is an absolute prog craftsman and regardless of how one feels about his faith, or religion in general, writing off his artistry is missing out on some truly amazing music.

7. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Leon Patillo -
    Santana "Borboletta" LP ... after receiving the Lord he left and went 100%
    in to Gospel music and the ministry.

Folknik likes this.
  8. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

Yes, they own a condo in my building and I see them on occasion. Cain is a born again Christian and his wife is the leader of one of those mega-churches in Florida. She's also our President's designated "spiritual advisor".

9. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

John Crawford, the founder and the lead songwriter and bass guitarist of the '80s band Berlin. He wrote most of the material on their popular albums in the 80s (with the exception of "Take My Breath Away"). He is now a Christian and released a solo album titled After Berlin a few years ago that includes spiritual references and themes.

A long ways from "Sex (I'm A)..."

10. WayneC

WayneC Hopelessly addicted to vinyl

I've come to this thread a bit late, but Van the Man had a religious epiphany a few years before Avalon Sunset etc. There are several songs on Wavelength that specifically quote the Jehovah's Witness faith. Kindom Hall comes to mind.
    Apologies if I'm duplicating any previous post.

Hep Alien and Folknik like this.
  11. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

You're right and also Bobby Bare should be on this list! His latest two albums were excellent and I've caught his shows a few times in recent years. It's usually Bobby with a pickup band or a roadshow band who can competently get through each song, even saw him once with his son's band in support of "The Moon Was Blue." Nowadays, Bobby usually does these fairly frequent, but limited package tours in the U.S. and Canada with Leroy Van Dyke or Bill Anderson, both of whom I've seen with Bobby.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  12. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

'Jesus Is The Only One That Loves Us'

Folknik likes this.
  13. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

More than once, Van has claimed to be a Christian mystic. When asked about his faith, he said, "I'm a Christian. I've always been a Christian." When asked "Do you go to church?", he said, "Now and again."

14. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

George Harrison-Hare Krishna
    John Lennon-Yoko Ono

Hep Alien and seed_drill like this.
  15. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

His mother was one of Jehovah's Witnesses but he never was.

Ed

16. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I saw Petra several times back in the 90's and they were a great band. Schlitt was a real full-on arena rock personality. They're not my favorite kind of rock but in concert they were really special.

Calling All Stations and 905 like this.
  17. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Whole lot of jazz musicians - Ahmad Jamal, Abdullah Ibrahim, Idris Muhammad, Yusef Lateef...

18. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

I recall reading somewhere that he was standing outside one of his shows handing out JW literature.

19. Galaga King

Galaga King "Drive where the cops ain't"

Bushwick Bill

[​IMG]

JuanTCB likes this.
  20. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Adam Yauch - Buddhism

EVOLVIST likes this.
  21. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

Most good hearted people don't like racists or fascists............

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

John French (Drumbo)
    Jeff Cotton (Antennae Jimmy Semens)

Both are/were Captain Beefheart/Magic Band members. Jeff Cotton quit music and joined the Christian ministry in the mid 70s. John French (Drumbo) is still a part of the current Magic Band and is Christian as well.

23. PiratesFan

PiratesFan Forum Resident

Larry Carlton
    Jim Sonefeld of Hootie and the Blowfish
    John Patitucci

24. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I read somewhere that Demis Roussos practiced Greek Orthodox. He was the bass player and main vocalist for the Greek band Aphrodite's Child of Vangelis fame. He later went on to be an international superstar pop vocalist.

25. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Carlos always gives some sort of spiritual mumbo jumbo in his concerts. Presumably he understands what he's talking about, but the rest of us clap politely and finish our beers.

mtvgeneration and MrGrumpy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.