A new version of Coltrane A Love Supreme on CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, Aug 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

According to Elusive Disc, a new version of John Coltrane A Love Supreme will be out on August 19th. The current single-disc version in the digipak isn't that old, is it? Does anyone know if this new disc represents a different mastering that what appears on disc one of the Deluxe Edition? Might Universal be using the DSD master from the SACD? Was the DSD master used for the Deluxe Edition?

Here's a link to the new version from Elusive Disc.

http://elusivedisc.com/findprod.asp?findnumber=IMPCD109&findvariation=&aitem=3&mitem=43

2. tjobbe

tjobbe New Member

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Tjobbe,
    Keith was talking about a new redbook CD issue. From his post, he seems aware of the current SACD. I bet the new one will just a clone of the mastering for the recent deluxe edition with minimal if any bonus tracks.

Regards,

4. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

This appears to be one for those who didn't want to pop for the Deluxe Edition but still wanted the better source that was discovered in London and used on the Deluxe edition. The mastering on the Deuxe ediion is credited to Rudy van Gelder so I would not expect anything different on the new single disc RVG redbook edition. That's one I don't have to buy (he said, saving his money for the Dylan SACDs and the forthcoming live Sly and the Family Stone (1968).

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

The original "wrong" tape was high-bit mastered by UNi not too long ago. This should make about 7 different versions of this title for digital, not including LP or SACD format. Sheeeeesh!

6. KeithH

Thanks, everyone. If this new remaster is indeed the same as disc one from the Deluxe Edition, then I will pass. I have the Deluxe Edition, the digipak remastered CD, and the SACD. That should be enough, right? ;)

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

More than enough. :eek:

8. KeithH

Thanks, Steve. ;)

9. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

I've been wanting to buy a copy of this title, but the number of choices is getting bewildering. Is there one version that stands out from the rest?

dave

10. Matt

Matt New Member

I would go with the Deluxe Edition just to have that rare live performance. The SACD got some great reviews here, though, so if you want just one disc, that may be it.

11. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

C'mon, you know you have to have them all. If you're a true fan... :D

Seriously, the SACD is phenomenal but the 2cd DE is right up there too; same new tape. The SACD is a single layer disc however.

Me? I've got 3 versions of this album:

1. The Classic Quartet Box
    2. Deluxe Edition 2 cd
    3. SACD-single layer

Not only the aforementioned only recorded live version of the entire album (which is intense as hell) from Antibes 1965, with the DE you also get the sextet takes recorded the next day with Archie Shepp and Art Davis added. This is interesting listening to say the least, but IMO, I'm glad they released the version they did. And the tape of these 2 alternate takes of "Acknowledgment" isn't really the best, lots of dropouts, but I'm a big fan so it's incredible listening for me. If you like later day Coltrane, you'll dig this.

12. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

I should also add that I like this one much better than the Blue Train SACD, or any issue of that set on cd. I must tell that I've never heard the MFSL though. The reverb on the Blue Train set just kills it for me... :(

The Love Supreme SACD is just awesome! The Blue Train SACD I have to listen to from the next room. :(

13. KeithH

Parkertown, I had the Blue Train SACD but returned it after a few weeks when it developed spindle cracks. Unfortunately, I never got to compare it to the Classic Records DAD, but the DAD is outstanding. I highly recommend it. A lot of others here do too. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.