A nifty turntable that I've been playing with, the Thorens TD-160 "Super" repro from Vinyl Nirvana..

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 4, 2014.

1. JJerm80

JJerm80 Forum Resident

Has anyone had any experience with a Nagaoka cart on one of these tables? Dave put together an amazing 160 Super with the Rega arm for me a few years ago. Just running a 2m Blue on it right now, and while the sound is strong and clear, it also feels a touch too analytical for me. I don't feel as "drawn in" for lack of a better term of art. Was thinking about the Nagaoka MP-200 for the table, but was curious if anyone has gone that route.

2. tgterm

tgterm Active Member

Just had to share a recent upgrade I did to my Vinyl Nirvana TD-160 Super: I decided to upgrade from my Jelco 750D tonearm and try the new Jelco TK-850S arm...and what an amazing difference! A much better tracker, and overall better performer! Adjustments are easier, as well. I have been swapping between my Soundsmith re-tipped Dynavector 20X2L and my Dynavector XX2 and I am really enjoying the upgrade!

Anyone else trying out the new Jelco arms with their tables?

Tom

Madlove and ddarch like this.
  3. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Don't have any experience, but I have read a lot of comments from people who tried Nags on Dual and Thorens' arms and not liking the sound, since they are on the light side. Apparently, Nags like medium to medium-heavy arms.

4. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

The original tp16 arm on a td160 is a medium-heavy arm !

5. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Good to know. I had a TD-150mkii and was told by numerous authorities it was low mass. Usually arms got lighter as turntables entered the 70s from the 60s.

6. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Forum Resident

I don't think it's on the heavy side. I would say lighter side of medium. I don't recall the specs offhand, but keep in mind these arms were designed for the current cartridges of the day. The arm works great with all the Shure V15s I've tried (yype 3, 4, 5) and the Stanton 681s and Pickerings. These were fairly high compliance cartridges.

7. ddarch

ddarch Senior Member

TP-16 effective mass 16.5 grams...I call that medium mass, personally.

bever70 likes this.
  8. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

According to Thorens Tonearms ...

Tonearm Eff Mass
    TP 16 I 16.5
    TP 16 II 7.5
    TP 16 III 7.5
    TP 16 III L 10.0
    TP 16 IV 12.5

9. bever70

16.5gr indeed, compliance with nag mp110 is good, so I guess it would also be ok with mp200. I didn't like the sound of my mp110, but that had nothing to do with my tonearm.

10. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

If you don't like the MP110 you won't likely like the MP200. Maybe try AT ?

11. bever70

I'm not looking for mp200, it was a reply to a previous post. I'm happy with my ortofon mc3-turbo now ;)

12. ddarch

ddarch Senior Member

MC3 Turbo is an underrated high output moving coil. Now that the 10X5 is $750, it's an even more attractive option.

patient_ot and bever70 like this.
  13. bever70

Not a lot of reviews on these, looks to be some kind of sleeper. At the moment I can't find myself to ever go back to my mp110 (or similar). Gave me a new 'vinyl experience' mounted on the tp16/TD160.

ddarch likes this.
  14. Adeep

Adeep Forum Resident

Just found this thread. Last year I purchased a TD160 Super from Dave. A thoroughly delightful experience. We upgraded the standard Jelco to the new 850. Also added the Bren
    Record Weight and Music Hall Cruise Control. I'm using it as a dedicated mono table. The cart is an Ortofon 2M Mono. I couldn't be happier.

Wanted to post an image, but can't figure out how.

ddarch likes this.
  15. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

If the image is online, you just put img tags around it. If not, you would need to host the image someplace online, like the imgur site, then get the image link (should have .jpg or .png or other image file extension) and post here with img tags, like below, which I put code tags around so you could see the link, then below that without the code tags ...

Code:
    [img]https://i.imgur.com/OrMYqzX.jpg[/img]

[​IMG]

16. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

It's even easier than that. Right-click on the image and select Copy. Then, right-click in this response box and select Paste.

17. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

I'm having an issue with changing speed in my VN thorens 150. The belt keeps slipping off the pulley. Its enough of an issue that I really have to want to play a 45. Any recommendations?

Would a music Hall cruise control fix this?

18. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

I had this happen on the TD-160 Super I got from Dave/Vinyl Nirvana. I asked him about it and here's what he suggested doing (assuming you're using the new/correct Thorens belt the TT came with):

1. Clean the belt, the pulley, the inner platter, etc.—i.e., everything the belt comes into contact with—with isopropyl alcohol and a paper towel. Let everything dry for approx. 30 minutes, then reinstall the belt.

2. If after cleaning the problem persists, remove the outer platter and find the screw that's close to the pulley, which should be located between the pulley and the platter bearing. (If you're unsure of the screw, email Dave.) Tighten that screw one half turn. Tightening this screw tilts the pulley away slightly from the platter. If you still have the problem, do another half turn (so that you will have done one full turn; just make a note of how many turns you've made in case you ever need to turn it back). Assuming everything is clean and the belt is legit and in good shape, this should remedy the problem.

The reason for this second step is that sometimes after a new belt breaks in, it stretches ever so slightly, and pivoting the pulley away from the platter compensates for that bit of stretch. Dave told me sometimes it might be necessary to tighten that screw one more turn.

I don't use a Music Hall cruise control, but I'm not sure that would fix the problem: IIRC, with the cruise control, the belt sits permanently at the 45 rpm position, at the top of the pulley, and so every time you hit stop, the belt would still be prone to slipping off.

Also, if you got this 150 from Dave, feel free to email him. I've emailed him when issues came up or I had questions, and he's always been very responsive and helpful.

unravelled and ddarch like this.
  19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I tried checking out Vinyl Nirvana and it appears the site is down. Is the below link their site address?

https://vinylnirvana.com/

When I click on that link and the one in Steve's first post I get this...

This site is currently unavailable.
    If you're the owner of this website, please contact your hosting provider to get this resolved.

20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I never heard an Ortofon 2M anything I really liked. Too forward, too analytical. If I were going to buy a VN Thorens, I'd try to get mine with either a SME 3009 II or a Jelco which takes headshells, for functional reasons and meeting my needs. I love Dave's work, and the better than new everything.

ddarch likes this.
  21. ddarch

ddarch Senior Member

Site back up. Malicious hacker. Bad code removed now.

Bill Mac and Radio like this.
  22. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Here is a link to a post I did a few days back showing how to post photos form imgur.

23. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I have a VN Thoren's TD-160 Super, with the 2M Bronze and the 2M Black and I firmly do not agree.

I don't find either cartridge to be forward or analytical sounding.

I find the Black to be very organic and natural.

jmczaja and ddarch like this.
  24. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Of course, you may both be correct. Different everything and all. :D

25. Adeep

Adeep Forum Resident

Here a picture of my Vinyl Nirvana TD-160 Super. Thanks for the like, Dave