A nifty turntable that I've been playing with, the Thorens TD-160 "Super" repro from Vinyl Nirvana..

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 4, 2014.

1. ddarch

ddarch Senior Member

BLOODWOOD plinth gets delivered this Thursday! A week or so to get finish on it!

PGB, Pomodori, Bill Why Man and 2 others like this.
  2. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Oh you are such a tease! I have about 15 unlistened to records I've bought since placing the order. I'm chomping at the bit!

3. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Bloodwood..I'd want it just for the name:)

SandAndGlass, Helom and ddarch like this.
  4. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Well it arrived and I am thrilled. I figured I'd post this for those that might be interested. It sounds as gorgeous as it looks. I can't comment on similarly priced tables, but if you want a timeless piece in looks and sound, I encourage you to check out:

Vintage Turntables For Sale - AR Turntable Vinyl Nirvana Acoustic Research Merrill Thorens TD 160 For Sale »

Here is my Thorens TD 160 Super in real Bloodwood plinth. Bronze Cartridge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The table is dead quiet. And sounds incredible.

Thank you to our host for starting this thread and his comments on the table. It surely influenced my decision. And I don't regret it for a second.

5. PGB

PGB Procolholic

Yes, me too. The only mod I've done on mine was to replace the feet with better ones, which I bought from Dave @ Vinyl Nirvana. The TD160 is very sensitive to footfall vibration, so anything you can do to isolate it should be done. Wall mounting might help.

Dave's a really straight-up guy and knows his stuff. He specializes in vintage Thorens and to some extent AR mods.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    Sneaky Pete and ddarch like this.
  6. PGB

PGB Procolholic

I used to have a Dual CS-608 DD table (early 80s) to play 78s. Pretty good ...

7. PGB

PGB Procolholic

Yard sale, maybe, from someone who doesn't know what (s)he has ... :D

8. PGB

PGB Procolholic

Wow!!

SandAndGlass, Helom and ddarch like this.
  9. PGB

PGB Procolholic

I agree, 1000% - mine is the TP-16 (on an original 160 table), and to my (old) ears it sounds and performs great. Cartridge match is important, though - mine's a Grado Prestige Red which seems compatible.

10. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

All this thorens talk has me considering on of the VN weekly special td166.

SandAndGlass, PGB, Hogues and 2 others like this.
  11. razorball

razorball Forum Resident

I just tried a Miyajima Madake on my Swissonor TD 160 with TP 16 tonearm. I usually listened with an ortofon quintet blue (mc). The Madake sounds a lot better. More open, more details, better seperation between instruments. A true (expensive) beauty.

ddarch likes this.
  12. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

There is a TD 160 "super" for sale (an old man in the street near mine) where i live for 450€.
    It is fitted with a GRACE G 705 arm and a MM GRADO SIGNATURE cell.

It has been recently serviced.

For 450€ is this a steal or not ?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. sfrost

sfrost Forum Resident

Never heard of a G705, maybe a G704? Seems like a good price but would like to see a picture of the arm to verify.

14. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The deck cost £120 in 1980 when I purchased one. Grace arms must have been under £100 in the 70s. Would bet on the cartridge being past it's sell by date. More than I would pay unless it is as new. Maybe worth £300 which is now roughly same in Euros. Why I think the repros are a bit rich in price to say the least.

15. Tartifless

I just asked for some pictures, let's see what i get.

16. Stan94

Stan94 Forum Resident

I saw that 160 super. There's a ring on the tonearm, strange. I asked the seller about it.

17. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I'd say a really clean 160 with the Thorens TP16 is worth £150, with a SME £350+, I often see both for a lot less, they aren't uncommon, so that sounds expensive to me. I'd also recommend that you don't count the cost of a cartridge when buying a used deck, unless it has a brand new stylus or is brand new, you can't be sure of the hours so don't value it at or or value it very low because chances are you will replace it anyway.

18. Stan94

Stan94 Forum Resident

It's the Grace G 707 Mkii tonearm.

19. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

A little digging on the net suggests that the Grace arm isn't massively expensive, confirms my thoughts that it's expensive, perhaps wait and if it doesn't sell offer 350 Euros, that is a fairer price in my opinion, assuming you really want a TD-160.

20. ddarch

ddarch Senior Member

US pricing, as evidenced by sold eBay listings, is much higher. Incomplete fair condition TD-160 with tp-16 is $400 on average. Same, very good and near complete, is easily over $500. (Outliers abound, per usual) SME 3009 arms alone average $450 to $550 here...often with missing (expensive) doodads, and, of course, 40 to 50 year old wiring.

Maybe fifteen years ago, the prices dubmart cites were accurate in US.

Dave

PS I should add, July and August prices in US are historically lower on average. October to March, highest.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. Tartifless

Hi, thank you all for your answers.

22. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Fair comment and perhaps French prices are closer to US ones, in which case it may be a good deal.

23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

If that is the case look for one in the UK. The 160s has become overpriced but anything over £300 is excessive. A new Rega P3 at £550 will sound better (bar bass) to put this into perspective.

KT88 likes this.
  24. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

They aren't the most robust of decks, I'd be slightly worried about sending one across the Channel, unless the seller really knew how to pack them and ideally had the original packaging which from memory was pretty decent, those plinths in particular are pretty vulnerable, I agree a new Rega or similar should be obviously better and won't need the level of TLC that a forty year old Thorens will and most of them need some work.

KT88 likes this.
  25. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Latest update, removed the Ortofon Black cart and replaced with Grado Labs Epoch. A cart way out of the low price range of the table but sounds amazing on it, with a little help from Warren Jarrett designed red Play-Doh enhanced counterweight! grado.jpg

SandAndGlass, sfrost and ddarch like this.