A photo of Amy Grant and crew at Caribou Ranch during the Age To Age sessions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, Nov 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

Check out this photo of Amy and crew recording Age To Age at Caribou Ranch:
    [​IMG]
    From left to right are Jack Joseph Puig (engineer), Amy, Brown Bannister (producer) and Jim Guercio (Caribou owner).

2. BradOlson

As you can tell during this break from recording that Age To Age, like all Caribou Ranch albums, is an all analog recording with the equipment behind them, plus the music and production throughout the album is great.

timw likes this.
  3. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Tie your holy garment around your waist, Amy Grant? You won't hear me complain.

BradOlson likes this.
  4. BradOlson

5. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

Nice picture, Brad. Thanks for posting it.

BradOlson likes this.
  6. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

ah, that is when the magic started for me. from that album on there were few i was more anxiously awaiting their releases than her's. thanks for the pic

BradOlson likes this.
  7. BradOlson

I am glad that she is one of the few CCM artists of the baby boomer generation still putting out great music for fans, and for her, I honestly can use the term artist. @McLover considers this album her finest album ever.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  8. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

saw her with the san diego symphony a couple years ago and it was the best i have seen her yet (and seen almost every tour since who knows when).
    she carries some of the best players with her to ever grace a stage too. owlsley in the past and this night about 3/4 through the show they announce that the drummer's chops i have been salivating over for the last hour and a half was flown in that day because their regular drummer had to rush home due to a family illness. this guy was not just on everything he was setting up everything, and these are some intricate arrangements, especially with the symphony playing on half the show.
    just amazing. vocals were spot on as usual too. agh, sorry. i just love the energy and enthusiasm she brings to life and music.

9. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

As a wee lad I saw Amy touring for Lead Me On, great show. I'd love to see her again-saw an advert for a Heart In Motion stop but it wasn't possible for some reason. I didn't know Age To Age was recorded at Caribou Ranch.

10. BradOlson

Age To Age, her first Christmas album, Straight Ahead and Unguarded were all recorded at Caribou Ranch. Unguarded was indeed the final album recorded at Caribou before the fire happened. Unguarded is her most dated sounding album, while Age To Age is still modern sounding, after all these years.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
    musicfan37 likes this.
  11. S. P. Honeybunch

Them's fightin' words.

12. BradOlson

13. BradOlson

I do like the album, but with the DX7, etc. being prominent, it is a product of the 80s in sound and in music style.

14. S. P. Honeybunch

Tasteful DX-7, Brad, tasteful...

15. BradOlson

In other words, the 4th of her Caribou Ranch albums is timeless sounding to you, after all, it is stylistic predecessor of Heart In Motion. Age To Age and the first Christmas album are the closest to organic sounding albums of the Caribou Ranch albums.

16. S. P. Honeybunch

The album version of "Baby, Baby" relies on synths far more heavily than anything on Unguarded. "Love of Another Kind" pretty much tells the world that Amy is going to rock you until the cows come home with lively synths and drums. The clinchers are the uptempo, almost punk like tempos, with frenetic guitars keeping time all the while.

BradOlson likes this.
  17. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Age to Age was my first of many Amy albums.

18. BradOlson

At least you knew that there is more to her than just the hits all along. A very beautiful album from front to back.

musicfan37 likes this.
  19. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

One thing is certain ... Guercio can rock a Member's Only jacket like no other.

Comet01 and BradOlson like this.
  20. BradOlson

BTW, in this age of digital downloads mostly being sold by singles, I doubt that an artist like Amy, known not only for her hits, but also for her album catalog, would make it huge today doing just straight forward music in a straight forward vocal style. I am glad this album became the Platinum seller back in the day.

21. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Thanks for the photo. I wonder why the sound quality really dropped off on Unguarded if it was recorded at the same studio. I love high end sound, and Amy's albums are all well recorded except Unguarded. She must have loved recording there....the environment is right up her alley!

driverdrummer and head_unit like this.
  22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, agreed it is definitely the most dated sounding, but part of the problem is the muddy sound throughout. Actually, all her stuff sounds very dated to the year her stuff was released, after Straight Ahead, imo. But the production is so well done after Unguarded that I don't mind it at all. In fact, her Lead Me On album for me is her best, but it definitely has that gated snare 80's vibe going on, but it sounds great and would be a different animal completely if it had a drier sound.

head_unit likes this.
  23. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Love of Another Kind may be my favorite song by her...ironic since I don't care for the production of that album.

24. BradOlson

But then, you have the acoustic sound of the hymns albums. You can really tell how the music trends have changed over the years by listening to her albums overall.

Comet01 likes this.
  25. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

She and her production team were terrific at making sure her music sounded very much a part of whatever was going on during the time. Some people that work for me don't like music from that era (primarily the 80's) because it sounds very dated to them, but I don't think it diminishes the quality of her music at all. It is remarkable that she has always managed to stay current.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.