A place to discuss jaz on audiophile vinyl ( and maybe a little bit of digital)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David Ellis, Dec 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm creating this thread as a place where members can come to discuss and compare jazz on audiphile vinyl from labels such as Music Matters, Analogue Productions, Speakers Corner, Mosaic, MoFi, Pure Pleasure, Org etc.
    Some of the posters will be relatively new to jazz. Lets nourish their interest.
    We all have different ears (or I hope we do) and systems so be tolerant of other people's opinions.
    Please avoid pictures as these are available elsewhere.
    These days I mainly listen to jazz but i still have time for rock and classical (and Shelby Lynne) and one of the things I'm finding the more I get to know the more I realise hoe little I know (as with all things in life).
    Please don't be afraid to ask what you think may be a stupid question. You'll find many others would like to ask that same question so we all will benefit.:wave:

2. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

One that I have that is often mentioned as one of the Best Sounding Jazz pressings ever is:

VICTOR FELDMAN
    "Secrets of the Andes"

Nautilus SuperDisc

“Limited Edition Direct-to-Disc Recording”

MASTERED BY KEVIN GRAY!

Pressed on Super Quiet German Teldec Virgin Vinyl

Incredible band -- includes Lee Ritenour, Hubert Laws and one of my absolute favorite bass players, Abraham Laboriel.

See Post #212 on this thread -- it made the SHF list of the most-often mentioned LPs for Best-Sound Quality:
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=237877&page=11

- plus, in a more recent thread -

David Ellis
    If you just want to demonstrate sound quality… the best I know is Victor Feldman's Music of The Andes on a JVC direct to disc.

3. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes. As you can see from my earlier post I agree.
    Unfortunately these direct to disc LPs, of which I have 3, seem to be limited in the music quality area. I know that as they only get the one take they have to be careful with content and maybe that's the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.