a question of SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mike Dow, Aug 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music Thread Starter

I plan on buying a SACD player in the next couple of months. I have a fairly decent system now but it is not Surround Sound. Will I be able to fully appreciate SACD's with my current system and a SACD player or will I have to further upgrade to be able to really hear the difference? Thanks in advance!
    Mike

2. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I wrestled with the multichannel issue when I took the plunge with a Sony XA-SCD777ES player. I also bought the Sony 5.1 preamp and jiggered something up with my old receiver and an extra pair of speakers, just to cover myself for surround. Some SACDs, like Hourglass, sound great in surround. Others, like Springsteen live and Tapestry, sound better in two channels.
    I can tell you this- for the last 12 hours or so, I've been listening to the Stones SACDs that I've been able to buy (Beggars, Hot Rocks, Buttons, Let It Bleed, Aftermath), all 2 channel discs. They are absolutely breathtaking, as is Rounder's Laura Nyro one. This is a remarkable format. It remains to be seen what Sony, EMI and others will be able to do with 5.1 but, for an old stereo guy like me, 2 channels are fine for now.
    One tip I can pass on to you is to get the best SACD player you can afford. I tried out the lower cost Sonys (I should confess to being a little nuts about this stuff), but they didn't cut it for me. Generally speaking, you'll get a better DAC and other electronics, which should improve the sound.
    Good luck. I'm convinced from ABKCOs Stones stuff- this really is the future of sound reproduction (for now).

3. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Bill, that's great advice. I agree with your assessment on every point.

Since I have no personal interest in multi-channel, both of my SACD players - a 333ES and an SA-14 - are stereo only. In fact, I bought the SA-14 when I began to realize that there would soon be no more reasonably priced stereo players on the market.

My tastes in music are quite diverse (classical, jazz, older pop/rock, in that order), but the music I enjoy most was recorded in stereo only so not only can I avoid the need for putting out lots of cash for three more speakers and an apparatus that can deliver multi-channel sound, I don't have to contend with my wife's complaints about how the living room is in such disarray.

There have been reports that some multi-channel recordings sound spectacularly real, but I have not heard these personally. Although I have heard 5.1 on a system costing almost $1/2 million, the owner of that system conceded that he had not yet heard a convincing title.

I agree with your recommendation that you buy the best player you can afford. It's beginning to look like the SA-8260 fits that bill nicely. I ordered my copy of Hot Rocks on the internet, and it hasn't arrived yet, so I can't comment on the sound quality of it.

4. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

The above two replies offer great advice 'specially the part about getting the best that you can afford 'cause it does and can make a big difference. You'll hear greatly improved sound with a good recording in two channel mode. As far as deciding about the surround thing you have to base that an a few factors the first being whether you like surround in the first place. I don't but, that's personal opinion. One of the most important thing you should consider if you do go the Multi-Channel route is equivalency. in other words all your equipment should "match" both on an electrical and acoustic level. This doesn't matter that much if you take the "theater in a box approach" but if you start talking about higher level components this can mean $$$$$.
    Taking advice like you are getting here and elsewhere is a good base but go to some dealers and possibly any friends who might have the type of equipment that you would be considering and "let your ears do the deciding.

5. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music Thread Starter

RE: SACD

Thanks guys for the above advice. I will certainly take this into consideration before I buy. It's interesting that you should mention The Rolling Stones SACDs since that is the real instigator in getting me to upgrade. I only hope the pending Beatles reissues are also in SACD.
    Thanks again!
    Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.