A question, re: Radiohead - "OK Computer" vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bryan, Sep 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr. Thread Starter

Today at Amoeba Berkeley I purchased what appears to be a Parlophone label copy of Radiohead's "OK Computer" on double-LP vinyl. I thought it was a pretty good find for only $20, considering a new copy of the "from the Capitol vaults" re-issue is $25. It was fairly dirty but I cleaned it right up with my vintage Discwasher and it now looks and plays great. The jacket and inner sleeves are looking pretty good, too. Well anyways, my question is: how can I tell if it is a first pressing or whatever pressing for that matter?

Thanks in advance.

2. jeffchisako

jeffchisako Forum Resident

I wrote the following on a older Radiohead thread:

My Parlophone copy has the following:
    MADE IN GREAT BRITAIN sticker on the back cover

Side 1 - eeny
    Stamped on the deadwax - NODATA 0 1-2A-1-1 (1 is crossed out after the 0 – 2nd pressing?)
    Handwritten on the deadwax:
    I like you, you are a wonderful person - vinyl blair

Side 2 - meeny
    NODATA 0 1-2B-1-1 (1 is crossed out)
    I’m full of enthusiasm - I’m going places

Side 3 - miney
    NODATA 0 1-2C-1-1 (1 is crossed out)
    I’ll be happy to help you

Side 4 - mo
    NODATA 0 1-2D-1-1 (1 is crossed out)
    I’m an important person, would you like to come home with me?

djost likes this.
  3. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

My Parlophone vinyl copy of OK Computer (purchased new in 2000 or so) has the exact same deadwax as jeffchisako's copy. Actually on side 4, the 1 is not so much crossed out, as it is replaced by a 2.

My copy does not have any stickers on the jacket, but the back cover says "Printed in UK". Is it the 1st pressing?

4. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

My copy, purchased around 2002, has the same deadwax info as posted above.

Dirtbeard likes this.
  5. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

so what's in the deadwax of the Capitol Vaults pressing? is it different?

6. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Yep, a friend has it, but I don't have a copy to post the details.

7. Coldacre

I love that "OK Computer" is triple platinum in England, double platinum in USA and platinum in Australia. which country per capita is the biggest buyer of this album :D

8. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Isn't the platinum certification in Australia for 70000 albums sold? In the US it is 1000000 and UK 300000. So they are all roughly around the same per capita with the UK slightly in the lead followed by the US.

9. TLMusic

So, which one sounds better--the "from the Capitol vaults" or the Parlophone?

Has anyone compared?

10. Coldacre

just got the calculator out: if the population of Australia is 21 million, the UK 61 million and the USA 307 million, it would go

1. UK
    2. Australia
    3. USA

one things for sure - only 3 tours (and a canceled show in Melbourne) in 20 years - we've been shafted

11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Deadwax on my "From the Vaults":

Side One (eeny):

Stamped :MASTERED BY CAPITOL
    Hand written: S-66064 Re1 0724385522918-A G2 RM

Side Two (meeny):

Hand written: S-66065 Re1 0724385522918-B G1 RM

Side Three (miney):

Hand written: S-66066 Re1 0724385522918-C G1 RM

Side Four (mo):

Hand written: S-66067 Re1 0724385522918-D G2 RM

12. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

This is an old question here in SHF about OKC... I don't think there ever was an answer... :(

13. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

I drove to Sydney for the HTTT tour, it did not disappoint! I hope they come back over here again! I need to hear the IR stuff live!

14. Bryan

I just compared and mine is exactly as you described, including the absence of any stickers on the jacket.

15. TLMusic

Interesting...

Is there not one person in all of SH land that has a copy of both pressings?

I do know this much--the 45rpm Capitol vaults single of "Paranoid Android" sounds considerably better than the same track on the Parlophone LP (according to my friends and I when we compared).

16. Bryan

One of my local stores has a bunch of those 12" 45rpm "from the Capitol vaults" singles on clearance for $4 each right now. Might have to look into them...

I listened to my copy again today, louder, and it's not very quiet. Not sure if that is just the wear on it from being used by the previous owner(s) or what. Still, if it's from 1997 I can't imagine that pressing quality was all that great during what most consider the "dark ages" for vinyl. But it's not too bad, just not as quiet as my Capitol pressing of "Kid A."

17. TLMusic

That's a low price--I sure like the three or so ones I've got.:thumbsup:

18. Bryan

Yeah they just couldn't sell them, apparently. I think they were $10 or $12, then marked down to $8 and now $4. They have a RIDICULOUS amount of them. Like at least one, maybe two rows full. Not sure what they were thinking when they ordered so many.

19. Drexler_McStyles

Drexler_McStyles Active Member

Uh Oh.
    No, seriously, a fair amount of the Parlaphone originals were reported as being noisy. I believe that the overall consensus is that (unlike many of the 'From The Vaults' series) the Radiohead re-issues are extremely well done. I know that the 2 that I have sound excellent.

20. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I have not been able to find any comparisons. My Vaults copy of OK Computer sounds great and is very quiet, but my only other version is the CD.

Two other Radiohead related vinyl threads

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=158982
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=169414

21. Drexler_McStyles

Drexler_McStyles Active Member

I bought OK Computer tonight (the advantage of living across the street from a record shop (or not). It needs a cleaning; a tad noisy, but the mastering sounds nice compared to my needledrop of the original Parlaphone lp that I have.

22. conception

conception Forum Resident

I'm taking my first listen now to an OK Computer From the Faults, and I do have to say that the vinyl is surprisingly pleasantly punchy, not something I'd ever think I'd care about with Radiohead, but it's hard not to enjoy that nice rolling pop you get on the drum hits. I can tell listening to this that my needle could be a bit better on the high end, and can only imagine what its gonna sound like when I get my vinyl setup really in gear.

23. rumdrums

rumdrums Member

Vinyl vs. CD?

Hey all. I've been thinking about picking up OK Computer on vinyl. I haven't seen anything on here, though, about this: How does it sound compared to the CD? I'm not the type who is dogmatically opposed to CDs relative to vinyl, and, given that this album was likely recorded in not-particularly-high-def digital (I *think* that's a technical term :)), I don't know how much I have to gain from splurging on the vinyl. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

24. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

i have uk paralphones for all..
    the bends- vinyl and cd are pretty much the same.

okcomputer- vinyl is better..it sounds clearer more like a real band playing... the cd sounds a bit um like i dont remember.

kidA... vinyl is awesome and has a very different sound. i liked it.

25. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

It's funny that this thread should be revived today, as I just scored a nice clean UK copy of OK Computer for $15 at my local record store today. It has the same deadwax as mentioned earlier in this thread. I just listened to side one and it's pretty darn quiet. I'll have to vacuum it up and do a shoot out with my Capitol vault pressing, which also sounds pretty fine to these ears.

As for CD vs. vinyl, the vinyl wins hands down. The CD is OK, but the vinyl has a warmth and dynamic that its digital cousin lacks. I would recommend it without hesitation. The recent Capitol re-press is very nice IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.