"A Quiet Place" New alien invasion films sounds terrific

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Apr 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

AndrewS and Damiano54 like this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

3. Ghostworld

My day off, I'll catch it tonight.

4. alexpop

5. Ghostworld

?? I don't know. I just think Justin Chang is a mainstream film critic who hasn't yet abandoned his eye for true film art.

6. Ghostworld

Well, since that's my last name, too (different spelling and I'm only half asian) I do know the fact that "Chang" is officially the most common name in the world. :eek:

SandAndGlass, royzak2000 and alexpop like this.
  7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I love Emily Blunt and like John Krasinski, but I’m giving this one a pass.

Deesky likes this.
  8. alexpop

Asian ..Smith
    Or Patel

SandAndGlass and Ghostworld like this.
  9. Ghostworld

EMILY BLUNT! Oh, it's already a masterpiece... :love: That dimple on her chin. Ohhh....

ssmith3046 and alexpop like this.
  10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

She is.

Ghostworld likes this.
  11. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

John Krasinski made a career out of mugging on The Office. It looks like that experience is paying off, because that's all he does in this movie.

DHamilton likes this.
  12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I totally agree on all counts. Going by the trailer, it didn't become evident what was so intelligent about it. A nebulous alien invasion with a monster lurking in every shadow, long periods of silence leading to plenty of jump scares, etc. Seen it all before.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  13. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Bit of a spoiler in the thread title, no? I'd seen the preview a few times, but didn't know from that it was an "alien invasion" story. I just took it to be some monster.

14. Ghostworld

If Justin Chang thinks it’s Art I’m going to see it.

15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Looks interesting. I might check it out.

16. alexpop

Trailer? Kept waiting for a little voice, ET phone home. :)

17. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

I don't think the dialogue will be very good in this movie because there is none, is there? It will be a lot like that Twilight Zone episode with Agnes Moorehead.

18. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

Great film. Lots of jumpscares, but they're justified by the quiet environment the film is set in so it doesn't feel like a cheap 'out' by any means. Great performances, great tension.

Billy Infinity, Alan2 and Ghostworld like this.
  19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No, the jump scares are cheap as cheap can be.

And the movie indulges in a ridiculous number of stupid choices that exist solely for plot options.

I'm utterly dumbfounded by all the praise this movie got - it's one of the dumbest movies I've seen in a while! Idiotic and completely hamfisted... :sigh:

Scott222C and showtaper like this.
  20. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

I respectfully disagree. There are a few "fake scares" in which there isn't anything to be afraid of, but if put into an environment where you're either Deaf or the world is completely quiet, literally any noise in general can be seen as something that can cause you to jump. Thus, I didn't find them as irritating as say, the scares in the Woman in Black or other similar films.

Just my two cents, to each their own! :cheers:

Billy Infinity and Alan2 like this.
  21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Even if you're okay with the (IMO) cheap jump scares, what about the inherent stupidity displayed by the characters? The entire opening scene made me roll my eyes, and I never unrolled them!

Krasinski forces the characters to perform actions that make no sense at all just to service "scares" and dramatic events.

While apparently 99.9% of the world got killed, we're supposed to believe this family survives (mostly) intact for more than 400 days. I don't think they'd last 400+ minutes! :laugh:

Spitfire and Scott222C like this.
  22. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Well? What did you think?

23. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Colin, are you going to use "cheap scares" to scare away potential viewers, from a movie they might enjoy, despite your not having a good time?:shake: We have already covered some of this ground before . . . with any futuristic science fiction type movie, there has to be a certain suspension of belief to make it work -- otherwise, we would only have science movies, without the fiction, and documentaries. I don't think in this case the suspension reaches the absurd ridiculous heights level.

I quite enjoyed the movie. I don't think it is great, but I think it is very good. I enjoyed my hour and a half -- just about the right length rather than drawn out another half hour. And I don't think the opening scene is nuts at all. Quite understandable from the kids' perspective. Did you complain about snowpiercer as well, because the title is ill-chosen: snow appears to fall in little flakes so therefore there was no piercing taking place during the movie???

Yes, I have never seen a fiction movie that didn't require some suspension of belief. I just suspended it and enjoyed the ride of Snowpiercer and Quiet Place as well. Of course, there were only a few viewers in the theater this Friday, and would you know it, someone was doing some heavy-duty rustling and noise-making as they wolfed down their concession! But I tuned that out as well. I liked the actress who played the role of the daughter -- she did a terrific job.

I'll not watch it again, but that is because I enjoyed it the first time through. I can't tell you how many modern movies I go to that are hardly worth sitting through till the end.

Billy Infinity and SandAndGlass like this.
  24. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

I think bad choices are a part of horror movie art form:

Frankenstein- Fritz grabs the brain of a criminal instead of a healthy brain.

Psycho-Marion steals $40,000 from her employer to run away with her boyfriend.

Alien- the crew allows an infected member back onboard the Nostromo, despite protocols.

If every character made smart choices, where would be the horror?

SandAndGlass and Jrr like this.
  25. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I really appreciate thoughtful, well written posts such as yours. Thank you.

Billy Infinity and townsend like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.