"A Quiet Place" New alien invasion films sounds terrific

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Apr 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Spoilers, but here are three of them

[​IMG]

2. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Going to see this on Saturday. Looking forward to it!

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That 96% figure can be misleading. As I understand it, it doesn't mean that nearly all voters gave it a score of 96 points out of 100, but rather that 96% of the voters gave the film 6 or more points out of 10 ('fresh' threshold). So if 96% of the reviewers actually gave it 6/10 stars, the Tomato rating would sill be 96% (rather than 60%).

Dudley Morris and RayS like this.
  4. Well I saw it in a 3/4 full house. Audience applauded at the end. It was a crowd pleaser when I saw it.

5. junk

junk Hellion

I'm still debating whether I'm going to see this or not. I might next Tuesday.

6. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

"A Quiet Place: The horror movie shaming cinema snack-eaters"

SandAndGlass, Ghostworld and RayS like this.
  7. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Look at this like 96% of reviewers saying "thumbs up"

Metacritic is 82% BTW.

Combined it's hard to argue about the movie getting very positive reviews.

8. It’s a crowd pleaser and I get the problems. But I enjoyed watching it

Billy Infinity likes this.
  9. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

True, but I made the very same argument in this forum about Lady Bird’s 100% score, and a few days later it won best film from the New York Film Critics Circle. So I will not make that argument again. (Also, two critics I follow gave A Quiet Place glowing reviews.)

10. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Not a snacks movie. Quite good. Short.

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I agree that "fresh" vs. "rotten" can be misleading, but in this case, it seems fairly accurate, as "Place" appears to have gotten largely rave reviews.

The WaPo critic gave it 4/4 stars and called it a masterpiece! :eek:

12. Oatsdad

If I had to pick a BP winner from the 2017 noms with my heart, it'd have been "Get Out" or "Dunkirk".

If I picked with my head, it'd have been "Lady Bird". Really effective movie that takes a worn-out "coming of age" theme and reworks it well...

Alan2 likes this.
  13. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

I saw this just yesterday. It was an accident, which rarely happens: I confused it with another film and went in. It's an extremely tense and scary film. I was pleasantly surprised. :D

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  14. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

It’s funny: A couple of weeks ago I discovered I can watch Lady Bird online for free, and I still haven’t seen it. :shrug:

But we digress...

15. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

You haven't missed much!

16. I saw all but ine film and I thought Phantom Thread was the very best. I think it’s one that will grow in stature over the years.

Ghostworld likes this.
  17. Glaeken

Glaeken Forum Resident

Caught it a few days ago and was very impressed.

It is very much like a muted version of SIGNS. Maybe crossed with THE ROAD, at least in terms of having a nonstop desolate, oppressive vibe throughout. Sure it's not perfect but it's head and shoulders above the garbage that usually gets dropped around this time of year (TRUTH OR DARE, anyone?)

mrjinks, Ghostworld and Mazzy like this.
  18. Oatsdad

Maybe. I just watched "PT" and thought it was a bit dull... :shrug:

19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

And I still haven't seen it. Whoops. :whistle:

20. Fair enough. I’ve watched it three times now. Love it more with each viewing

21. Ghostworld

Just saw it. Not as overall great and original as, say, "It Follows," but still a well-done film with a great premise. I saw Michael Bay onboard as producer. I would give the film a solid "B," not quite "A" material because of a few too many familiar film tropes (the leaky basement) and it felt a little too "simple," as though it wasn't aiming very high in sophistication story-wise, kinda by the numbers, but still a good solid monster movie. I wasn't disappointed, but I wasn't swept away by genius, either. The beginning was done fabulously, then it sometimes felt a little too sleepy. But I did admire pulling off the Marcel Marceau treatment quite neatly. Worth a trip to the theater but should play just fine on a big tv.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Pete Puma likes this.
  22. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I liked them both, but I agree with you, It Follows was just brilliant horror. I don't even find the horror genre all that appealing, but I hope I can sense a masterpiece when I see it, and It Follows was the real deal.

Ghostworld likes this.
  23. Ghostworld

I keep hearing that famous "moaning" sound from Johann Johansson's score for "Sicario" popping up. I think it followed Emily Blunt to "A Quiet Place." I just happened to have my new pocket recorder with me a grabbed a snippet.

GodShifter likes this.
  24. The horror!

Billy Infinity and GodShifter like this.
  25. Ghostworld

I just realized: Getting the gig of doing subtitles for this movie would have to be the best job in town. You could type out the script on one page! Talk about a movie made for overseas distribution! And you save money on closed captioning costs, too! :D

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.