"A Quiet Place" New alien invasion films sounds terrific

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Apr 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I’d be really surprised if they make a prequel to this, but as the AC/DC song goes, “money talks”.

There has been talk for years of a prequel to “I Am Legend” which made good numbers at the box office, but has yet to happen. A sequel (or prequel) is not always guaranteed in other words.

2. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Jeff Goldblum finds a way. :)

3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

Picking up pace at the box office as of this weekend, Back in first place. It's a nice movie.

The alien was kinda boring, though. But I guess SOUND was the real threat. That's the high concept that I'm sure scored someone a mil.

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Thanks. When the Blu-ray arrives, I'll have to freezeframe those newspapers! :)

5. Oatsdad

Yeah, it seems inevitable that there will be some form of "Quiet Place 2", but whether it'd be prequel or sequel is up for grabs, obviously.

I could see the series going the "Cloverfield" route and leaving out this movie's family altogether. That seems like a better exploration, honestly, as I'm not sure where there is for the Abbotts to go - take us to a different scenario...

GodShifter likes this.
  6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

7. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

I just got back from seeing the movie, and I'm disappointed: the concept is original, but the actual screenplay -- the characters, situations, relationships -- are all very predictable. It felt like something Spielberg could direct, which isn't a compliment in my book. I was expecting something more experimental.

8. Ghostworld

Sad to say, but it’s general simplicity probably accounts for its success.

DHamilton likes this.
  9. Ghostworld

You can pick any damn movie apart. I was just watching the original "Blade Runner." So Tyrell has never seen the Voight Comp test before? "Is this to be a blush response?" "I want to see it work." So he's never even checked out the Voight Comp test before, although it's the basis of cops going around and killing his replicant "children" for years? I might be curious.

You can pick 'em all apart. Ingrid, it's just a movie!

10. Why didn’t they just pull out HAL 9000s plug. :tiphat:

Ghostworld likes this.
  11. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

No picking it apart. It fell apart on it's own. I saw it today and this film takes the prize for predictability. You're right on this film being simplistic ... to the max.

12. Ghostworld

Yeah, it was really basic. But still well done. I mean, how simplistic is "The Shape of Water?" last year's *GAG* "best motion picture?" Never overestimate the taste of the American public. At least no one was getting cattle prodded every five minutes.

Mainline461 likes this.
  13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Seen it, pretty good..but a bit depressing.

14. Ghostworld

It is kinda moribund. But I just stared up at Emily Blunt and she made it all better. What's up with Google forgetting Emily Blunt from the cast?

a quiet place cast - Google Search

alexpop likes this.
  15. alexpop

The husband in the film is her husband in real life.
    Some guys have all the luck!!!
    Don't think he's in the follow up.:)

16. alexpop

Emily wherenever may I find her.

Ghostworld likes this.
  17. Ghostworld

I didn't know that was her real life husband. And I actually liked him for awhile.

dead of night likes this.
  18. Ghostworld

Re: Your top guitarist list; they may be from England, or they may be from the U.S., but seems like your cream of the crop all PLAY THE BLUES!

alexpop likes this.
  19. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

HAL was linked to all the computer life support systems and integral to the running of the ship so you couldn't just turn him off. What Bowman does is disconnect Hal's higher intellectual functions, so the ship will still function but he won't be a threat.

20. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

We loved the film. Really enjoyable - really daft, really suspenseful still. Our theatre was silent - even the monster popcorn eaters were silent.

It was like a mash up of lots of other movies, of course, but it worked well and I thought that Blunt was great.

Nice schmalzy use of the lovely Harvest Moon tune too. It was much more fun than Get Out for me.

21. It's Felix

Me too. I don't see where all the hate is coming from. I mean blimey - we were in and out of the cinema in 1 hour 40, having had a great time. I have had longer cups of coffee than that...

22. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

Hate; really? I'm glad you enjoyed the film, really I am. But how those of us that didn't equates to hate. I mean blimey.

Purple Jim likes this.
  23. It's Felix

I mean blimey, I was probably exaggerating. Anyway just realised it reminded me of Signs by M. Night Shyamalan. But in a good way.

Mainline461 likes this.
  24. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

When I saw it, there were a group of giggling teenagers snickering pretty much throughout the entire movie. I suddenly felt great sympathy for the aliens in the movie.

mrjinks, GodShifter and It's Felix like this.
  25. Oatsdad

Some of us did hate it! :wave:

Mainline461 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.