“A Shel Talmy Production”

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by william r small, Apr 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. william r small

william r small Forum Resident Thread Starter

"Unissued Bowie and Easybeats tracks on Shel Talmy Compilation!” Fans of 1960s British Rock will be most interested to learn of the upcoming release, “Making Time: A Shel Talmy Production,” a 25 track anthology on Ace Records (UK). The package was assembled by Alec Palao, noted for previous work on collections from Big Star, The Zombies, The Seeds, The Music Machine and The Beau Brummels among others. Palao has sourced many of Talmy’s own personal copies of his master tapes and the collection features works by the many prominent artists with whom the producer is associated. The American ex-pat is well-known for his successful work as one of the few independent producers during that era and is credited with many hits scored by The Kinks, The Who, The Easybeats, Manfred Mann, Creation, and Chad and Jeremy among others.

Even if your interest is only in a couple artists this set looks like one you’ll be playing repeatedly. Planned for release on May 26, it features unissued recordings by David Bowie and The Easybeats and includes a 28-page illustrated booklet with extensive annotations by Alec Palao. The material is mastered by Palao with input and consultation from Talmy himself. Further information on the release can be found at the link below –

Various Artists (Shel Talmy) - Making Time - A Shel Talmy Production - Ace Records

[​IMG]

2. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

Thanks for the info. Looks pretty good.

In looking over the contents I'm struck that it is possible that Shel had everyone he ever recorded perform Baldheaded Woman. A song which he has the songwriting credit on. This probably made him a few bucks over the years. But according to Wikipedia, it is a "traditional" blues song. Does anyone know he real story on this tune? Not accusing him of any wrongdoing, but did he actually write it?

3. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

He took the song from Odetta's 1959 LP 'My Eyes Have Seen' and claimed a writer's credit on it. The notes on the Odetta LP indicate that it was a (traditional) "prison song"

Odetta - My Eyes Have Seen

Rich C likes this.
  4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Does anyone by chance know if the stereo version of "Anytime, Anyhow, Anywhere" on this set is the same one that's on Disc 4 of the My Generation Super Deluxe set?

I remember something about Shel having the multi-tracks or something that prevented a stereo version of My Generation from being released until the 2002 Deluxe Edition, and thinking then that it was odd a stereo AAA was absent when stereo versions of its b-side Daddy Rolling Stone along with I Can't Explain/Bald Headed Woman were there.

Was wondering if this could be a unique stereo mix (on CD at least)? The back cover doesn't indicate such by I was still curious.

Mark

dee likes this.
  5. Mark Wilson

Bump!

6. dee

dee Senior Member

Looks like audio samples are up with that link but FWIW I can't listen to them now, if I could even tell, to begin with.

Mark Wilson likes this.
  7. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Shel Talmy=Genius.

8. dee

dee Senior Member

Sounds Mono

Mark Wilson likes this.
  9. Mark Wilson

Hmm you're right.

I got the actual CD this weekend and will try and listen to it tonight.

Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.