A small update on SCTV DVDs...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Joel Cairo, Jan 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff Thread Starter

Over on the SCTV newsgroup, Joe Flaherty just posted (yes, Guy Caballero himself!) that he had just finished a little more material for the 1st DVD package, which will consist of 90 min. NBC eps, and is tentatively scheduled for April!!

You may now all begin cheering loudly!! :D

-Kevin

(Personally, I think it's remarkably generous of Joe F. to take the time to post to the group, and fortunately, he seems to enjoy being there!!)

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Wait until someone goes off on him. He will make a hasty retreat. Happens all the time....

I hope they are not using those Beta copies again and can find the original videotapes....

3. Joel Cairo

I'm just hoping they can actually clear all of the music this time around, so we can see some of the sketches that have been hacked in syndication....

-Kevin

4. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Joe actually answers many quesions on that site and he also relates some very funny "backstage" stories, and insights into the stars and their characters.

5. jdw

jdw Senior Member

Is this newsgroup mirrored at google or yahoo? I love those shows.

Thanks,

John
    Vancouver

6. Joel Cairo

John:

It's mirrored through Google's "Groups" search... just type in "SCTV DVD", and it'll pop up a clickable link to the main newsgroup, which should show current threads through yesterday.

Joe's posting name is "Guy Caballero". If you search back into 2001 or so, there are some from "Mpalm", which is/was Dave Thomas' posting name.

-Kevin

7. duse

duse Senior Member

I'm just glad that "hopefully" the episode where Martin Short played the guy from Deliverence is on there. I have been telling my wife since last year's American Idol STARTED that Clay Aiken is a dead ringer for his character. I've have searched and searched and Googled for proof, and have come up dry.

Happy weekend to all.

8. jdw

jdw Senior Member

Thank you

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Here's a BIG update on "SCTV" DVDs - it's official!

GROUND-BREAKING COMEDY "SCTV" DEBUTS ON

HOME VIDEO FROM SHOUT! FACTORY

SCTV NETWORK/90, VOLUME 1

5-Disc Boxed Set Includes Nine 90-Minute Episodes Featuring the Comic Genius of

John Candy, Joe Flaherty, Eugene Levy, Andrea Martin, Catherine O'Hara and Dave Thomas, Plus Bonus Material including Four New Documentaries and the 1999 Aspen Comedy Arts Festival Program, In Stores June 8th

LOS ANGELES, CA - Welcome to Melonville (of the Tri-State area), home of the SCTV television network and programs such as popular game show "What's My Shoe Size?," disco dance program "Mel's Rock Pile" and Canada's intelligent talk show "Great White North." SCTV is once again "On The Air." Eighteen years after production ended on the original episodes, the two-time Emmy(r)-winner* SCTV will be available for the first time on home video, in the form of a 5-disc DVD set from Shout! Factory. Starring comedy's brightest northern lights Eugene Levy (American Wedding), Joe Flaherty (National Security), Andrea Martin (My Big Fat Greek Wedding), Catherine O'Hara (A Mighty Wind), Dave Thomas (Who's Your Daddy?) and the late John Candy (Uncle Buck), the DVD set includes the first cycle of nine, 90-minute episodes that aired on NBC, new interviews with writer Harold Ramis (Analyze That), producers, cast and crew, and more. SCTV Network/90 - Volume 1 will be available on June 8th for $89.98 (suggested retail price).

When Shout! Factory COO Bob Emmer began researching licensing for SCTV, he was surprised to learn the series had never been released on home video, in any format. "We began dealing with the vast music clearance issues and, after more than a year of hard work, we were able to obtain the necessary licenses to enable us to release the first boxed set. This collection will make even the most serious fans very happy," remarks Emmer.

SCTV Network/90 - Volume 1 contains nine, unedited 90-minute episodes including appearances by unforgettable characters Johnny LaRue, Yellowbelly, Edith Prickley, Bob and Doug McKenzie, and Lola Heatherton, and hilarious shows such as "Sid Dithers Private Eye," "Monster Chiller Horror Theatre," "Mr. Science," "High Q," "The Sammy Maudlin Show," and the Bob Hope/Woody Allen parody "Play It Again, Bob." These episodes also feature plenty of promo and commercial spoofs, and performances by musical legends Levon Helm, Dr. John and Southside Johnny. The 5-disc set contains four new documentaries: "SCTV Remembers" with original cast members Levy, Flaherty, O'Hara, Thomas and Martin, and executive producer Andrew Alexander (and co-owner of The Second City theater); "Origins of SCTV" with vintage photos and clips from Chicago's Second City Theatre; "The Craft of SCTV" with costume, hair and make-up designers; "Remembering John" with original cast, actor Martin Short, writers, and Bernard Sahlins, The Second City theater co-founder and producer 1959-1985; "SCTV Reunion" from the 1999 U.S. Comedy Arts Festival hosted by Conan O'Brien. The SCTV Network/90 - Volume 1 DVD set will be packaged with a 24-page booklet containing an introduction by Alexander, and essays and tributes by O'Brien, Ben Stiller, Fred Willard, Dan Ackroyd and Dr. John, accompanied by images of rare photographs and memorabilia.

SCTV (an acronym for Second City Television), began in 1976 as a simple show featuring comedic performers from the famed, improv-oriented Second City Theatre in Toronto. Unbelievable as it seems today, SCTV was the first television show based entirely upon the concept of satirizing the medium of television itself, which enabled the writers and performers - whose on-screen ranks included at various points Harold Ramis, Robin Duke, Tony Rosato and Martin Short - to skewer everything from feature films, promos and commercials to such familiar local television staples as late-night horror movie hosts and the backstage goings-on at the fictional SCTV station itself. Originally created for syndication, SCTV was picked up five years later by NBC and ran for two seasons of 90 minute episodes, then moved to Cinemax for a last season of 45 minute episodes. Stay tuned for additional releases of SCTV on DVD from Shout! Factory.

SCTV Network/90 - Volume 1

Street Date: June 8, 2004

Price: $89.98 SRP

Sound: English Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio

10. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Please Mr. Cabbalero...just one lousy crane shot!
    Great news! Thanks for posting this Oatsdad! :)

11. RDK

RDK Active Member

This should be great! The Bob Hope/Woody Allen skit is one of my favorites ever!

12. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

WOW! Pretty scary, hah kids? Well, maybe next week it will be scary ;)

13. Bobo U2

Bobo U2 Active Member

"Pancakes.....Pancakes....." IHOP of Terror in 3D
    Hope they release the Martin Short shows down the road....I got to see Jerry Lewis in Electric Cowboy and Jackie Rodgers Jr.

14. average Joe

average Joe New Member

Thanks for the heads up. I'm really excited about this!

There's so many good sketches and lines that I can't single out one to quote.

Thanks again Hosers! :)

15. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I can't wait for this one. When I used to watch it in Seattle it was always on at 1 a.m.--made it tough to get up in the morning.

"Just because of that I'm never gonna die."
    "Would you like to see my big wad?"

John K.

16. mdp7751

mdp7751 New Member

How's it goin', eh?

Great news! Can't wait. Would quite litterally roll around on the floor like an idiot laughing so hard at this breakthrough comedy show.

"Should be some greaaaat vwiddddeeeo."
    ----jerry todd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.