A Small Victory For Audiophiles! - No Compression, No Limiting!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Nov 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

A Small Victory For Audiophiles!

The Motown remaster of Teena Marie's 1980 album "It Must Be Magic" was released Tuesday. The reissue was produced by Harry Weigner and remastered by Suha Gur.

Well guess what, NO compression or limiting was used!

Here is a screenshot of track 7, "Cradle Rob And Me".

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I wonder if there's any difference between versions?

Not that I am a fan of Marie, but I'm wondering if they bothered to get up to kill this mastering at all?

Nice taskbar, Grant! Ooof! The TSRs! ;)

3. Grant

Don't worry, it's not the PC with my main DAW.

Although HW says they do not use compression, I'd like to think that Ken KcKlinden and I had some influence on the Motown board, where HW is the moderator.

4. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Grant,

I hope that you and Ken did influence the outcome. Now, if you can only talk Harry into a Super Mono box set!

Bob

5. Grant

It's still in the brainstorming phase, but I seriously think HW is going to put something into action with a plan to relaese ALL singles and B-sides.

6. Bob Lovely

Grant,

That would be fantastic! (As I get ready to dig deep into my wallet)

Keep after him - we need this type of release from Motown!

Bob:)

7. mandrake

mandrake New Member

Grant, what software did you use to do the screen grab? Anyone know of any good (free) software that does this?

8. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I am increasingly convinced that what was "Going On" with the Motown mastering engineers a few years ago was that they were digitally adjusting levels by ear and went too far on a number of releases to the point that it was automatically limited/compressed. Then again, maybe someone in marketing was just screaming "louder or you're fired" at them.

Anyway, most of the stuff from the last couple of years sounds a lot better. I just picked up a recent UK twofer of Edwin Starr's "Soul Master" and "25 Miles" LPs mastered by Jeff Willens that upon first listen sounds really good to me. I'll post more comments when I've spent some time with it.

Regards,

9. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

Grant FWIW I noticed you have Zone Alarm on your computer. I removed it from mine and only removed the shared files dealing with zonealarm. Next thing I knew I couldn't access the internet. Don't know if it was ZA or a fluke.

Anyway like I said FWIW

10. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Zone Alarm for the most part is a big joke.

Larry, possibly what happened is 1/2 of ZA possibly built up a proxy, and you removed what uses 1/2 of the protocol, or most of it. :(

To screen grab, you have a key to the right of F12 called PrintScreen. If you hit it, go to either MS paint or your favorite graphic software and choose paste or Ctrl+V.

:)

11. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

I'm not Grant, but, just hitting the "Print Scrn" button will copy the current screen to the Windows Clipboard. Then just open your favorite image editor and something like "Paste as new Image" should be available in the Edit pulldown (which Paint or MS Office's Photo Editor will have).

In Photoshop, create a new image (which will default to the current screen resolution) and Paste - then you can resize as needed.

Joel

12. mandrake

mandrake New Member

Thanks, Joel

13. mandrake

mandrake New Member

I find Sygate Free is far better than Zone Alarm:

http://soho.sygate.com/products/shield_ov.htm

14. Grant

I had heard about that. I always leave shared files.

15. Grant

A reissue from a major label finally comes out with no compression or limiting, and no one is interested?????

16. Bob Lovely

Grant,

Do you want me to add - "No compression or limiting" to the thread title?

I can go that!

Bob:)

17. Grant

Yeah, see if it works.

18. CT Dave

CT Dave Senior Member

I think that the more "important" the artist is, and depending on how many times a specific title has been remastered, the more obvious the digital trickery is.
    Most of the major artist's catalogs and albums are on at least their third remastering. The first was when the CD was first issued, usually between 1982/1986. The second was in the late 80's/early 90's, when all of a sudden labels realized that much of their CD catalog had been mastered from 8th generation copy tapes. The third is when "20 bit remastering from the original tapes" stickers started appearing on CDs, in the late 90's. Now, obviously the labels have to find some way to make the latest, greatest re-re-remastering sound "better" and the way to do this is to fry the signal by running it through some limiting,compressing,maximizing gizmo.
    I think there are still a few people at the major labels, and Harry Weinger is one of them, who DO care about turning out quality product. In a way, they HAVE to get it right the first time, since there probably will never be a remastered version of "Cellarful Of Motown", for example.

19. Grant

Well, Teena Marie is/was an important artist...

20. mandrake

mandrake New Member

I hope you're right, Grant:cool:

21. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

In the case of Dave Brubeck's "Time Out" it has been mastered on some digital format at least 4 times already:
    The 1980s CD
    The Sony Mastersound gold disc
    the HDCD
    the SACD

22. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Do you really mean ALL?!? Do you know how many Stax/Volt type boxes that would take(took them three!). L-U-V the idea...

ED:cool:

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Sure, it's nice, but there are tons of CDs out there without compression or limiting. It's not as if this is really something "new"...

24. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Alt + Print Screen

You very rarely want the whole screen - but you often want to capture the current window. Use Alt+Print Screen to save the current window to the clipboard. A good craftsman uses the right tools.

Regards,
    Geoff

25. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I've never heard of her, but that's understandable as I am a novice when it comes to R&B.

Since the name did not ring any bells with me I looked her up on allmusic. The bit about "When her second album, Lady T, came out, much of the R&B world was shocked to see how fair-skinned she was" was very interesting.

Is that why you say she is/was important?

Regards,
    Geoff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.