'A Star Is Born' (1976)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dan C, Aug 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

This movie and the music was a huge deal with I was a kid, but I never have gotten around to seeing it.

Watching it right now on Netflix. Excellent transfer, and I guess there's some added footage here?

I've got a love-hate opinion on Ms. Streisand. She can wow me, she can annoy the everliving bejeebus out of me. Not sure about her in this movie. I think she won me over even though critics were hard on her at the time.

Kristofferson is a pretty solid actor.

I'm enjoying all of the oh-so-70s-ness about it. The concert footage, musicians, wardrobe, recording studios, rock stars and groupies driven along in big, black Cadillacs. Great feel for the era.

There are some goofy things that stick out. The love scene in the bathtub was laughable (makeup?). They sure built that perfect little adobe house in the Arizona desert super fast with absolutely no help. I don't think the Kristofferson character's songs are any good. Like pretty much terrible. I suppose that was by design to push the "washed up" angle? Babs gets oh-so-almost nude like how many times?

Curious about how others feel about it, especially with the new remake coming along soon.

Also, which version of 'A Star Is Born' is the favorite? I'll need to check out the others.

dan c

yesstiles, ando here and snowman872 like this.
  2. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

I'll wait until I see the new remake with Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper. The release date is October 5th. I like the trailer for it!

Dan C likes this.
  3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I liked it very much in '76-'77 ( 18 - 19 years old ), enough I bought the soundtrack album, and still have it, along with the 2013 Blu ray.
    You mentioning an extended cut aroused my curiosity, but I can't find any info. about the additional 8 minutes.

4. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    The movie is forgettable but in terms of the soundtrack - I love the Streisand songs; campy (Queen Bee), earnest & anthem-ish (Everything, I Believe In Love, The Woman In The Moon) and tender (Lost Inside of You, Evergreen). The Kristofferson songs are throwaway numbers, except when Streisand does the finale, Watch Closely Now. It's too bad, too, because Kris had the songwriting/singing credentials far surpassing the material he was given here.

I'm not fond of any version of the story. But if I had to choose among the three the Streisand version wins due almost entirely to the soundtrack.

Kudos to Garland, of course, for her version of The Man That Got Away. Showstopper.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    Dan C likes this.
  5. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I just watched this too on Netflix for the first time. It's always interesting to see a movie that was huge in its time, which was subsequently almost entirely forgotten, get resurrected briefly in the public consciousness. I enjoy nostalgia.

Dan C likes this.
  6. Dan C

Here's a NYT article about the scene:
    Barbra Streisand Debuts Lost Footage From ‘A Star Is Born’ on Netflix

When I saw it, I had no idea that scene was added in the restoration. It actually seems like a really essential scene and I can't imagine the movie without it.

dan c

yesstiles, Myke and ando here like this.
  7. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

A tip for anyone wanting to watch this before seeing the new one, it is scheduled to leave Netflix on Sept 15.

Dan C, Myke and ando here like this.
  8. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

That was quick..it's only been available a couple of months!

ando here likes this.
  9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The 1976 film is awful.

The 1954 one has its moments but runs waaaay too long.

Never saw the original!

10. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Thank you !!! I never would've known this, as I already own the Blu ray, as stated. I really appreciate this !!!

11. Dan C

Yeah, that’s what motivated me to watch it in a hurry. Nuts that Netflix helped pay for the restoration but only shows it for a few months.

Streisand’s old TV specials are also on Netflix but I’m not sure if they’re leaving soon as well.

I watched most of her first one that aired on CBS in 1965 and I’ve gotta say it’s an amazing example of the best of that variety genre of the era. Golden age of Broadway meets golden age of variety TV meets young talent at the cusp of superstardom. Beautiful b&w videotape production and design as well. I enjoyed it.

dan c

12. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

She has the full 2.5 Central Park show archived and she said one day she will release the whole thing. I wish she would get on that.

13. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

IIRC, they tried to film Babs earlier before another inside concert (Maybe Floyd?) and she was booed so loudly they abandoned the idea quickly.

14. Margrave

Margrave I'll Give It 5

I stood in Licester Square London in 1977 with my mate from Polydor records and our girlfriends.
    Toss up between Rocky 1 and ?
    We went to see Rocky a week later.

Dan C likes this.
  15. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan That's like your opinion, man!

Not a fan of this film. Love Kristofferson and the pure 70s'ness of this film, but never bought into the attraction of "Babs." It's got some pretty cheesy moments as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.