“A Star Is Born” Remake w/ Lady Gaga, Bradley Cooper To Lead

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by TeacFan, Aug 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

Just get out of the cinema. Not much impressed me. Just some bad acting by Cooper in my opinion.

2. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

if elvis had played into his physical state at the time and played it warts and all, tired, broken down old rock star, ....could've been great. its hard to imagine though, and they could've gotten him some great music. chances are high he would've shot jon peters

showtaper and Vidiot like this.
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

We can only hope! :laugh:

Anybody who wants to see what Jon Peters is/was like, watch the documentary The Death of Superman Lives: What Happened?, which is an amazing film. Peters is one of the major ****oles in a town famous for many gigantic ****oles, and he does not disappoint in the documentary.

jwoverho, kouzie, Chris DeVoe and 2 others like this.
  4. The guy is apparently functionally illiterate too, which just further shows how far self-confidence and a limitless ability to BS can get you.

5. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

I liked the film. Good chemistry between the main characters and Lady Gaga's voice was quite impressive.

Vinyl_Blues and rogertheshrubber like this.
  6. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

I mean, it's not like Elvis hadn't been killed off in a movie before :D

7. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

The interesting thing about Lady Gaga and Madonna is that they are both Italian on their father's side and French Canadian on their mother's side.
    Both of them have covered La Vie En Rose, which was an Edith Piaf song.

Vinyl_Blues and Steve Carras like this.
  8. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Just saw this tonight finally.

Enjoyed both Bradley Cooper's acting and Gaga's.

His songs were really great, and her early songs were fine, but the ones after the manager got his claws into her were hilariously awful, and the big Power Ballad had the stench of Diane Warren all over it, and was shocked to not see her credited.

I'm a huge emotional softy, and I really wasn't moved at all.

I did like the fact that his hearing was screwed up - which was obvious as he had four slant face monitors in his concert scenes which must have been just blowing him off the stage, and suffered from tinnitus. In-ear monitors would have saved him (and the rest of his poor band) and any good monitor engineer feeds the audience back into the performers mix.

Most heartbreaking example of tinnitus affecting the performer I've ever seen was Pete Townsend performing Lifehouse at Sadler's Wells in London, and the poor guy had to kneel down and put his face into his monitor in order to tune his guitar.

Vidiot and peopleareleaving like this.
  9. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

He sure did. One of the great movies that one.

10. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I shed a couple of tears but for me that was the sentimental equivalent of jumping at jump-scares: I don't feel that the movie has achieved much simply be eliciting a response. The story, as it always is, was miserable and - despite the fact that the acting was strong across the board - I didn't find the characters as written to be very identifiable.

With very slight hearing damage and no professional reason to protect my hearing I use earplugs at live events. Yet Jackson can't preserve his hearing when he has everything to lose. Yes, maybe that shows his self-destructive side but I've never found that sort of behaviour anything other than frustrating. And Ally sure talks a lot about love for someone who appears never to take the least interest in her husband's wellbeing or emotional state.

It didn't help that the songs to me were aggravatingly bland throughout.

showtaper and Chris DeVoe like this.
  11. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

Just saw this movie and loved it.

I'm surprised that, here on the Hoffman Forums, there isn't a hundred page thread about the t-shirt Ally/Gaga is wearing in an early scene in the movie:

[​IMG]

12. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

They'd be critical to the fact that it was a Tormato shirt.

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

This movie made some bank. Luckily then, I don't have to see it. what the hell is coming out? Jesus. It's dead out there. nothing exciting.

14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

He's no Tom Skerritt, that's for sure.

15. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

Bradley Cooper gained ZERO pounds for this role as boozy pill snorter. That takes dedication!

dmiller458 likes this.
  16. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

He's been in what 80-90 movies? When it's that many, you're bound to be in a few clunkers. When did he find time to record and tour?

17. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

It's very hard to see a movie when it is hugely hyped because your expectations are through the roof high for it. If you saw it - wait 6 months - watch it again and you MAY like it. I remember watching A Clockwork Orange and shut it off after 20 minutes it was so horrid. Then awhile later I saw it again and now rank it as my second best film of all time. A Star is Born isn't going to turn around like that but the story was already known and so, like Titanic, you already know the ship is going to sink.

National Film Board of review has chosen this year's winners

Green Book - Best Film
    Best Actor - Viggo Mortenson (Green Book)
    Bradley Cooper - Best Director (Star is Born)
    Lady Gaga - Best Actress (Star is Born)
    Sam Elliot - Best Supporting Actor (Star is Born)
    Regina King - Best Supporting Actress (If Beale Street Could Talk)

NATIONAL BOARD OF REVIEW ANNOUNCES 2018 AWARD WINNERS - National Board of Review

mmars982 likes this.
  18. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Golden Globe Nominations for this movie:

Best Motion Picture - Drama
    Best Actress In A Motion Picture - Drama - Lady Gaga
    Best Actor In A Motion Picture - Drama - Bradley Cooper
    Best Director - Motion Picture - Bradley Cooper
    Best Original Song - Motion Picture - "Shallow"

But probably the most deserving was completely snubbed. No Golden Globe Nomination for Supporting Role in a Motion Picture for Sam Elliott. Hopefully the Academy won't overlook him for the Oscar Nominations.

19. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Just saw it and I'm surprised that it got the raves that it did. It felt flat. Sure, it had a few moments but was overall a bland movie going experience. While Gaga showed that she can sing, the songs are totally forgettable. I have to admit, based on the buzz, I expected way better!

20. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Neither are conventionally beautiful. Thought it was a great movie.

TonyCzar, the pope ondine and Dan C like this.
  21. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I liked her better before the nose job.

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

True. They had a line in the movie to "explain" that, and I thought it was extremely inaccurate and stupid. Absolutely, in-ear monitors would've protected his ears from the thunderous volume at the venue, sealed out residual noise, and allowed them to play a custom mix just for his ears only. I hate it when movies perpetuate bad technical information like this. And they're not uncomfortable to wear when they're custom-made and properly fitted.

23. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I am shocked that this didn't win at the Golden Globes. I thought it was much better than Bohemian Rhapsody. Also weird that neither was in the musical category.

24. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

Finally saw this movie. It was decent, but I did think Gaga was very good.

25. PeterGriffin

PeterGriffin Forum Resident

What a horrible horrible movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.