A Town Named Alice

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by WLL, Aug 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery Thread Starter

I am now watching, on TCM, in this hospital bed, the 1956 film version of Nevil Shire's novel, " A Town Named Alice - paying less attention sine I'm. reading + posting here. I never saw the longermade-for-TV, remake.

2. Beer Milk Shake

Beer Milk Shake Forum Resident

Watched the mini- series, in 1981, on Masterpiece Theatre. One of the best shows I've ever seen, with wonderful commentary - per usual - by Alistair Cooke.
    p.s. Speaking of wonderful - hope you're back to non-hospital bed watching real soon.

3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Yeah, get well soon.

How about:

“A Town named Alice and a boy named Sue”?

Huge box office potential I tell you ...

4. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

I was watching, too. The subject matter of this movie is some of the gravest and most heart-breaking I have ever encountered.

5. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery Thread Starter

...Once the film was past WWII and a certain major story revelation (which had quite surprised me when I read the novel, years back). it really jumped fast to the end! Really, the last part of the story was quite skipped over/fast-forwarded thru! Presumably the mini-series took a more leisurely pace:p. BTW, when I read the novel. there was a reference en passim to something, regarding what I guess were laws/mores/rules in Australia in the post-Dub Dub period, which surprised me a bit...I was looking to back it up with an inquiry to any willing Ozzies here...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.