A Trick of the Tail on vinyl?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DoF, Sep 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

I would definitely recommend trying the German original, especially since it is such a bargain and so easily available for you. The mastering is just really well-balanced, at least on my system. While my UK original is not bad at all, it sounds a bit soft and pillowy, whereas my Japanese copy is completely the opposite: kind of hard and clinical. My German pressing sounds far more natural than either (on my system), with solid bass, a clear top end, and a warm, nuanced midrange. It's one of the better bargains in Genesis LP collecting, IMHO (on the other hand, I haven't heard the MFSL, so I don't know how it might compare). I'm also a big fan of the German Philips first pressing of Nursery Cryme, which sounds far better to me than either my UK small hatter pressing or my US large hatter first pressing (and far more affordable than a UK large hatter, not to mention a pink scroll). I'd like to try the German Philips pressing of Trespass, which I've read is similarly well-mastered.

Germany seemed to do an especially nice job of mastering Charisma releases. I have at least one German Van der Graaf Generator pressing that also sounds great, whereas my Dutch pressings of VdGG albums seem to have comparatively mediocre mastering.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

The German "Trespass" is nice indeed always shied away from the German "Nursery Cryme" - another 8-10€ album, what's up with people?! - because I fancied a pink scroll - there is a UK pink scroll of that album, is there? But I'm going to pick up the next copy. Somehow "Nursery Cryme" seems to be the most common German Philips Genesis album. Virtually every second Record Store has a copy.

3. DoF

DoF Less is more... Thread Starter

hunting for this one

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  4. NorthNY Mark

Yes--I think the very first UK pressing was pink scroll, and it's among the rarest/priciest of Genesis albums. I'm so happy with the sound of the German Philips, though, that I have little desire to seek out a pink scroll or UK large hatter. It's a situation similar to what I described with A Trick of the Tail. In this case, The US first pressing sounds very bright, and the UK small hatter sounds rather dull. The Philips sounds just right (as always, I can only speak for my ears and on my system), and makes for a really enjoyable listen.

DoF likes this.
  5. DoF

Dear Mark, sorry to bother you, but I think I found what I was looking for, I mean I am offered this :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CHARISMA GERMANY 6369 974
    MATRIX 1Y/2Y
    Gatefold
    EX condition

Is this the one you have?

Thanks

6. NorthNY Mark

Yes--I just pulled mine out, and it looks just like that.

Please keep in mind that different pressings may have better or worse synergy on different systems, so you may well feel differently about it than Ido. I'll be very curious to hear what you think after you hear it. Will it be your first copy, or will you have another version with which to compare it?

7. DoF

First copy. I heard it online only. Gonna buy it and am open to other copies if they're worthy for particular reason. Thanks.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  8. DoF

Ordered :laughup:

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  9. DoF

Hey guys is there any particular meaning to the phrase A Trick of the Tail ? This intruges me :)

hi_watt likes this.
  10. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I think its a pun.
    Each song is a tale.

hi_watt and DoF like this.
  11. Moonchild

Moonchild Forum Resident

Japanese first pressing. You'll never look back!

Munger74 and DoF like this.
  12. sheffandy

sheffandy Forum Resident

I have a Portuguese pressing from late '70s which sounds pretty decent.

DoF likes this.
  13. NorthNY Mark

That, and there is this line in the title track: "A spire of gold? No, a trick of the eye." I believe the song concerns a creature with a tail, who "tricks" his human captors, and then we add the tail/tale homophony to the mix.

DoF likes this.
  14. DoF

Thanks.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  15. DoF

It's finally here! This album intrigues me a lot.

Genesis ‎– A Trick Of The Tail
    Label: Charisma ‎– 6369 974
    Format: Gatefold
    Released: 1975

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

.... how does it sound??????

DoF likes this.
  17. DoF

Gimme day or two... listened to it once, but first impressions are good! I wish I had another pressing for comparison.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    Neonbeam and NorthNY Mark like this.
  18. DoF

boy oh boy, it's such a masterpiece, and ATTWT too.

Denim Chicken likes this.
  19. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I have Pink Scrolls for Trespass and Nursery, and I wouldnt recomment them unless you are collecting Genesis history. They dont sound particularly better, and since Trespass is EQd like trash to begin with theres not much to gain. Someone once recommended the MCA ranbow label Trespass pressings, saying they are the best. Cheap and easy to find if you live in the US, give it a try.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  20. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Great pictures!
    How do the bass and drums sound?

DoF likes this.
  21. DoF

Gonna check it and get back you.

dubious title and HiFi Guy 008 like this.
  22. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

I finally have a quite nice sounding copy of Trick. A clean "Soho Square" UK. Have three NM (what I thought were first presses) UK copies, and have always felt they lacked sonic excitement. This one plays quieter, has low end impact missing on the others, better soundstage, more air and nice upper highs. To my ears this copy is a fairly substantial improvement.

The other interesting thing is just how much the texture of the cover varies from one copy to the next. Don't think it's just an age thing either. It's really pronounced on some and flat on others.

CDS 4001-A†
    CDS 4001-B†

Genesis - A Trick Of The Tail

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  23. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

I like the MFSL Trick so much I might buy another, if I find one in good shape.

Other albums -

Trespass - I've never seen any UK/European/Japan version. Everyone I see around here is ABC Impulse!, which is muddy and murky. I might just cave in and get one of the recent remix versions, since this album is actually helped by the remix.

Wind & Wuthering - I've had this Japanese version - Charisma ‎– 20PP-71 -for a very long time. Supposed to be the first reissue. It just sounds good, I don't know why.

There's a Japanese comp 2 LP called The Story of Genesis, roughly half Peter vocals, half Phil - and maybe it's the quietness of the vinyl, but "The Knife" sounds much better to me than on my muddy, thuddy ABC Tresspass, and everything else sounds great too. It's not that common, but doesn't get much love, and isn't expensive, possibly 'cos people have something against comps. BTW, it's a classy little set - sturdy gatefold cover, small book of Gallo photos - nice. There's one on The Who as well that's very much in the same vein, though I don't have that one.

Oh - I picked up a sealed original version of Abacab just this week. It should easily be better than the one I've had for 35 years and played a hundred times.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    hi_watt, dubious title and Leonthepro like this.
  24. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

Have you heard the one I referenced above? I know people really like the MFSL, but this one sounds quite great to me. I've been collecting Genesis stuff for quite some time and am lucky have first UK's of all their records. Well, a second of their first LP. Thinking about adding a first Japanese W&W to the collection.

I have that Japanese comp too. Hold it up to the light. Can't really say I love the way any of my Genesis records sound. Have fun with your new ABACAB, great record.

25. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

No. Don't have any early UK Genesis, and since I got back into the hobby, I hardly see any UK anything, though I was tempted by an early UK Wheels of Fire on Polydor the other day. I don't buy via Discogs at all, and use eBay very sparingly.

Even my cassette dub of the Japanese vinyl W&W sounds great. I don't like it on CD very much.

And yes, G studio output is sonically uneven, but honestly it's never really bothered me. I still wouldn't mind having some clean UK versions of the early albums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.