A Trick of the Tail Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zach Johnson, Aug 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

the new from the vinyl box sets dont count because are remixes? any review on that?
    [​IMG]

2. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

The MOFI is all you need here.

Say likes this.
  3. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

I've not heard that box set, but one day will probably get one. The remixes could be interesting, but if they are like the Gabriel era ones (which I already have), the remixes might be a bit 'hard' and 'sizzle-ly' for my taste.

4. TLMusic

[​IMG]

UK (various pressings) on the left

US DJ Promo and MFSL in the center

Japan (with custom lyric insert) on the right

ultron9, Denim Chicken, Gardo and 7 others like this.
  5. stem

stem Forum Resident

A nice collection !

TLMusic likes this.
  6. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

holy sh!t!!! I just imagine your entire collection of more artist etc... a lot multiple pressings?

so your top copy in sound for you is the 1st UK press?

7. TLMusic

Genesis is one of my favorite artists of all time. And it used to be inexpensive to find most of their good vinyl pressings.
    Yes, the early UK's. The Mofi and Japan are quite good, too in my experience.

8. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I don't know if the UK is better. But I've been told it's better than the MFSL and Japan.
    I have the MFSL and Japan. Both are translucent brown pressed in Japan.

9. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

oh really a mfsl translucent maybe a QUIEX vinyl... thats new to me... I was think that all mfsl releases are pure black!

well I go to search a 1st UK press and maybe an mfsl (if I get not much expensive)

10. HiFi Guy 008

All Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs lp's used to be pressed by JVC in Japan on "virgin vinyl" which was black, but when held up to a light translucent. Unfortunately, they changed all that later and the wonderful JVC pressing tools were, allegedly, destroyed.

11. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

oh good to know, so th Anadisc are not pressed in jvc on virgin vinyl?
    http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=vinyl&n=188936&highlight=

12. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The MFSL Trick as others have noted is one of their better efforts. The problem with both UK and USA standard pressings has often been pressing quality. I would also recommend the remix vinyl mastering in the recent 76-81 box set. Great pressing quality on this one.

Mike in OR likes this.
  13. HiFi Guy 008

N0, they're not. Allegedly, the JVC magic pressing machines were supposedly destroyed shortly after the cd boom.
    And I suspect my Japan and MFSL were both pressed by the same plant, given they look much alike. I need to compare the space before deadwax.

Why oh why they can't resurrect or manufacture machines like this today is beyond me. Never, ever an off center pressing. And that's saying something, after you've paid 35 bucks for an RTI or other audiophile pressing with the hole not in the true middle.

If you can find a NM copy of the MFSL, go for it. The vinyl is dead quiet. The inner grooves no distortion. Dynamic to say the least and the bass, which is really what some of this record is all about, is bombing. The delicate songs, such as Entangled and Ripples are just wonderful sounding.

PhilBiker likes this.
  14. HiFi Guy 008

We're waiting for your weighing in man!

15. DWisker

DWisker Member

I compared my MFSL version with the new remixed vinyl. MFSL beats it hands down for warmth and for bass. There is an aching sweetness to Collins's voice on MFSL's "Mad Man Moon" that just isn't there on the remix.

ultron9, Jvalvano and Runt like this.
  16. Sam

Sam Senior Member

MFSL is outstanding!!!

ultron9 likes this.
  17. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

Many years ago I put my MFSL against first issue UK and US. The MFSL reigns king.

The US went in the trash and I sold the UK.

ultron9 likes this.
  18. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

Another vote for MFSL. Sounds better than 2 other versions I have.

ultron9 and Say like this.
  19. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

I won a NM MFSL on eBay last week, and it arrived today. It sounds just as you described. I can hear a few pops and crackles in the quietest passages, but it's in really good condition for its age.

The vinyl is, in fact, translucent.

ultron9 and HiFi Guy 008 like this.
  20. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

IGD on an already compromised pressing?

21. HiFi Guy 008

Congratulations. You might want to try a cleaning with an RCM if you haven't already. One of the things I love about this pressing is how dead silent the quiet passages are.

22. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

I compared the Atco Japan for USA CD (Barry Diament) against the MFSL vinyl and the original Japan vinyl, and the CD blew them away. I wasn't expecting that. I thought at least the Japan vinyl would win.

I also played the made in USA Atco CD, which I believe sounds identical to the Japan for USA CD.

ultron9 likes this.
  23. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

After reading this thread I just ordered the MFSL through Discogs for a very good price - 39$. Thank you all for your comments!

24. McLover

McLover Senior Member

UK first is my best sounding favorite. Hard to find a quiet copy, took me 4 attempts to get a great copy. The bass on this pressing is actually clean, low level details astounding, with rich, warm, natural sonics.

TLMusic and willied like this.
  25. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I recently bought an ATCO new unwrapped on Amazon and it sounds great!

ultron9 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.