A Visit To The Bose Store

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dat56, May 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

My sister and BIL thought their Bose setup with the little sugarcube speakers was awesome, but they tired of it and got the one with the slightly bigger satellites. I gave them my BP7002 definitives and a decent older Sony ES AVR and they stuck them against the wall next to the TV cabinet. I've had some of their friends ask me at a party why they switched, as "those tiny little speakers rocked". They were completely taken by the size of the drivers rather than their sound. Most of us simply have to admit to ourselves that most folks don't get it, and that's OK.

A good friend had a set of 901-IV's chain hung in a cathedral ceiling in his den and they sounded great, the best that I ever heard the 901's and in my overseas military days, I heard them a lot as Bose was heavily featured in our A/P (audio photo) club.

2. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

I hadn't been in the Bose store at my local mall for a few years, 'til last week (as a break in panic Christmas shopping); interestingly, there's been a remodel of the shop, and the demo room with their old-model speakers (301s, 901s etc.) is gone. It's all Waves, iPod sound docks, Blue teeth and h.t. sound bars now - anything resembling old-school hi-fi is apparently being excised from the Bose in-store marketing approach.

PhilBiker and EasterEverywhere like this.
  3. parisisburning

parisisburning Well-Known Member

I recently started installing bose because the company I work for got a contract with them. I install tons of home cinemas with little two inches square speakers and a subwoofer (which is really just numerous small woofers). For home cinema, it's ok. For some rears, why not. For music it absolutely blows. Customers ask me as I'm installing them "These are gonna sound good right?" I have to say yes, but I wanna say, "do you think a 2 inch cube is gonna sound good?" But people apparently, they like the fact that they are discreet and hidden in the corner by the ceiling. Tons of people just want music with invisible speakers and don't care about the SQ.

And the guys who work directly for Bose as installers. Don't even get me started.

4. o0OBillO0o

o0OBillO0o Forum Resident

Ask any musician or person, they all want it to sound "good." Of course most here may think otherwise. I get suckered from time to time, but there is certainly better sounding stuff out there.

Yeah, that is a sign of the times. Especially "blueteeth" he eh. :) It's what the people want unless you can influence them that there is something more they should want.

5. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

Truth be told, last time I visited before this (a few years back) the lights were off in the _01-series speaker room. Even then, all the customer action was with the Wave players and those little-cubes-with-subwoofer systems.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The Bose Store is interesting. I would love to show the salesman my Paul Klipsch lapel button with the famous quote though.

7. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I have the Focal SIB series for my home theater, mid-size for L/C/R and small for the surrounds. I demoed them against the Bose Acoustimass series in production at the time (2006). Same price, no comparison in sound.

8. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

The Bose "sound" IS built with a lot of heavy handed EQ already. But yes, the last thing I want to test something with is some fancy whiz bang overblown factory demo.

You can't get something for nothing, heavy handed EQ'ing and complex labyrinth ports for bass may make something small have greater output in the required frequencies to give the sonic illusion they are selling, but extended listening sessions with real program material will reveal the overall sonic costs that illusion comes with.

9. o0OBillO0o

Anyone recently purchase some stand mounted Bose 301 or 901 (current production)?

10. o0OBillO0o

After watching several Bose related videos on YouTube (try it, bose L1 compact, 901, or 301), I certainly can account for a lack of taste, polish, and attention to detail. These people who post their Bose systems clearly show the world enough material to pass judgement. Yikes.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  11. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

All I hear at school from younger teachers is how much they love their soundbars. I just keep quite as that is also how they listen to their MP3s. I do not fight this fight any more. Pointless.

12. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I've heard 901's in quite a few incarnations over the years in several home systems up to a recent set just 3 years ago....... as well as being stuck with them in 3 different PA systems over the years.

I HATE THEM. :thumbsdow:hurlleft: :thumbsdow

And that recent glowing review from whomever it was reeked of kick back to me. They are what they are, all incarnations boil down to the same creature......a lot of little speakers stuffed into a cabinet with their magic box trying hard to throw up an illusion.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
    McLover likes this.
  13. o0OBillO0o

Are you referring to Jeff Dorgay of Tone Audio?, TonePub here..

http://www.tonepublications.com/review/we-review-the-bose-901/

14. We are all entitled to our own opinions, but surmising that kickbacks were involved in a positive review of the Bose 901? There have been many positive reviews of that speaker and I don't know which reviewer you are maligning, and it is unfair to all the Bose 901 reviewers to accuse them of dishonesty. However, I digress.

I have always liked the 901 and continue to do so, and I think it is a really good value because you get a lot of speaker for the money. That's not something you can say about a lot of Bose products.

I have been thinking about offering a Bose EQ mod service to upgrade the Bose EQ boxes with audiophile parts (e.g., a parts swap upgrade and not a change to the circuitry). Perhaps a beefier power supply and nicer case would be part of the package. Do you think there would be any takers, now that the 901 has restored audiophile cred?

15. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I could certainly use a tv like that. I'm the typical surround hater but for movies I can't think of a better rig than this+BluRay player taking up very little place in a room. My 2.1 setup would not be compromised.

16. htbomb

htbomb Hot Rod

I bought the Bose Mini last year and love it. Bought the Bose Color this year and love it, too. Great sound for their size and cost.

The Mini's retro looks and quality materials look good anywhere in the house and the Color is perfect for travel.

Billy Infinity and 4stringking73 like this.
  17. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Bose are to speakers what Crosley is to vinyl playback.
    What I said.
    I did it,thanks to Goodwill and Craigslist,toss in a Thorens too,but I was very lucky,and knew what I was looking at when I saw it.Most people are not.

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

BTW, a relative got me the Bose Soundlink "Color" speaker for Xmas, a little tiny battery/AC-powered speaker about the size of 4 packs of cigarettes:

[​IMG]
    For $100, it's not horrible -- it fits in my briefcase, it can be powered by USB, and it's perfectly acceptable for playing back talk radio and background music at the office. Weighs maybe a pound. The bass is a little bloated (a common problem for Bose), but it looks snazzy and doesn't sound horrible. Is it hi-fi? No, but I don't expect it to be for $100. For a very portable speaker, I think it's fine. For real music, no way.

19. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

They are very good at marketing their product, no question, even if it gets slammed for one reason or another (Bring Other Stereo Equipment) :)

20. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I wouldn't buy it, but if someone gave me one as a gift, I'd sure use it in the bathroom or kitchen.

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Exactly -- I'd never buy one, either. But it fits my briefcase and is fine sitting on my console at work when I handling pictures (no sound). I was surprised by how "not horrible" it was. But not great, either. I have low expectations for $100 and 1 pound.

PROG U.K., 4stringking73 and forthlin like this.
  22. DR.J

DR.J Forum Resident

I have old 301s for rear speakers. Seem to work okay for all I care about surround sound!

23. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I thought Bose had a habit of suing anyone else who uses Bose "technology"?

24. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Yes, they did sue people who used the "technology."

25. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

For which I'm grateful for. The "technology" creates bad audio.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.