AAAAAAAAAAARRRGGHHH! I can't get my cartridge to mount properly and stay still!!!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by audio, Jul 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

God, what a nightmare this is! I'm trying to mount my V15 III and no matter how much I tighten it(within reason, of course), the friggin' cartridge body will still move when I press on it. I finally realized that the bolt is reversing itself! My first thought is that my mounting hardware is crap so I checked my little film container that is FULL of mounting bolt and I don't have a SINGLE pair that are the right length that match. Can you believe it?? I swear, there is a curse on this turntable. Next I'll try some washers underneath the bolts on top, but if this doesn't work...I guess I'll have to order some new hardware and WAIT until NEXT WEEK to FINALLY listen to vinyl.

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

And what TT is this, Prix?

3. poe_man

poe_man Senior Member

It's that "Clockwork Orange" type table, isn't it?

4. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Yeah, those buggers often come with tons of hardware and often what you need isn't there. Get it right as proper allignment is super critical.

If you get stuck, possible a little lock tight once it's alligned might help. Used to use that stuff all the time after alligning tape heads. If you can't find that, a dab of model paint might do the same. That way you might be able to closely match the color. It can easily be cracked loose if and when you need to take it off.

5. audio

It's no use. Even with the washers...once I add that last bit of torque, the screw backs itself up. I don't know why this thing has to be so tight to stay still. Now I think I may be warping the cartrige boy. That's another $25 down the toilet. This sucks....

6. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

:confused: Could it be stripped?
    I can't see how the bolt would reverse itself unless its stripped. :shake:

7. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

prix,

Why don't you contact Shure for help?

8. audio

Problem solved. See my new thread.

9. Vinyl-Addict